Direction on Milk Stout Fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
New to brewing and decided that I wanted to go right into all grain. I must say I'm learning by trial and error (mostly error so far) and drinking some bad beer to boot although I haven't poisoned myself yet.
So I wanted to make a Milk Coffee Stout. Water was RO from store.
Here's the grain bill
10 lb CNC 2 Row
1 lb Chocolate
8 oz Munich Dark
5 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Carafa lll
8 oz Crystal 40
1 lb Lactose
Yeast: US-05
First Runnings were 1.056 Missed sparge temp by 8 degrees (160 istead of 168). Pre boil OG 1.042
Misplaced the lactose and boil went long, final OG was 1.062 by end. Pitched the US-05. Ferment temp was 70 degrees and two weeks later now I'm sitting at 1.040 I should be at 1.016 I believe.
Tried to warm it up but nothing.
I'm ready to pitch another packet but not sure if there's anything to ferment.
any guidance would be appreciated or is it just to bollocks up.
Cheers

Good question above. Did it seem to ferment, to you, like big krausen, lots of bubbling? Or not?

Don't worry about the sparge temp, won't make much if any difference. And have some hope, there's a chance you're actually just fine. Worst case pitch more yeast, but let's see how you're getting your FG first.

First Runnings were 1.056 Missed sparge temp by 8 degrees (160 istead of 168). Pre boil OG 1.042

Are you saying you Mashed at 160?
Your mash temp will determine fermentability, if you mashed high, there's no point in adding more yeast.
But I would try to rouse the yeast by swirling the fermenter a few times a day and see if you can get it going.
If this doesn't work you could dump it out or brew a really dry beer and try to blend it or perhaps adding amylase enzyme would work.
https://labelpeelers.com/beer-makin...0ICf8-ZCIa8nGcSIOB41ei-kGnyrSArBoCACoQAvD_BwE

Did you make water additions (gypsum, calcium chloride, epsom, baking soda)? If not, you ph was probably way out of range and you are likely missing some important nutrients for the yeast (RO water is close to distilled)

Did you make water additions (gypsum, calcium chloride, epsom, baking soda)? If not, you ph was probably way out of range and you are likely missing some important nutrients for the yeast (RO water is close to distilled)

Not at all- malt has plenty of what it needs for the yeast to ferment. Adding those salts is more for flavor than pH management anyway.

My input is that with a super high mash temp, the beer is done. Did you ever use the lactose? Some of the ingredients are less fermentable with a high mash temp, but of course lactose is in fermentable.

How does this beer taste?

My input is that with a super high mash temp, the beer is done. Did you ever use the lactose? Some of the ingredients are less fermentable with a high mash temp, but of course lactose is in fermentable.

He stated he missed his sparge temp by 8 degrees. His mash temp was not 160, and even if it was 155-158, he should have gotten way better than 1.042 (like 1.020ish)

There is something else at play, unless as stated, the measurement of fg is off...

Edit: 1.026ish with the lactose

He stated he missed his sparge temp by 8 degrees. His mash temp was not 160, and even if it was 155-158, he should have gotten way better than 1.042 (like 1.020ish)

There is something else at play, unless as stated, the measurement of fg is off...

Edit: 1.026ish with the lactose

That is assuming he did the mash correctly or even at all. I never assume anything in the beginner's brew forum

That is assuming he did the mash correctly or even at all. I never assume anything in the beginner's brew forum
Thank you for the replies guys. I haven't got my exact numbers with me but I'll try to kickstart my memory here.
In answer to hydrometer/refractometer question. I have been using refractometer. I did check calibrate the refractometer with distilled water after the fact. I also did my solution prior to brewing and it was bang on.
Fermentation was good for about 4 days
I mashed at 152 degrees (runnings were 1.056) and sparged at 160 (missed by 8 degrees) was to be 168 sparge.
Salts were added, (mash Ph was 5.4 if I recall correctly) as was 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient in boil.
Lactose did go in to the boil at the end.

Thank you for the replies guys. I haven't got my exact numbers with me but I'll try to kickstart my memory here.
In answer to hydrometer/refractometer question. I have been using refractometer. I did check calibrate the refractometer with distilled water after the fact. I also did my solution prior to brewing and it was bang on.
Fermentation was good for about 4 days
I mashed at 152 degrees (runnings were 1.056) and sparged at 160 (missed by 8 degrees) was to be 168 sparge.
Salts were added, (mash Ph was 5.4 if I recall correctly) as was 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient in boil.
Lactose did go in to the boil at the end.

Ok, great to know! Take your refractometer readings, and enter them into a correction software, since the reading is inaccurate once alcohol is in the mix. That’s because refractometers read the refraction of light in a sugar solution, and once alcohol is in the solution, the alcohol skews the refraction of light. So, plug your numbers in here, and it sounds like your FG will be corrected to an accurate reading: Refractometer Calculator - Brewer's Friend

FWIW, I use a refractometer pre-frementation and a final gravity hydrometer post-fermentation.

Exactly what I do as well. Then again I already had a hydrometer for ages before I got my refractometer. But I do love the combo for use as you described above. I think that's pretty common - for a reason!

I understand some people don't have the $'s though.

Yep. That beer is done. 1.022 is in the ballpark with the lactose. You see dozens of post here every year from people that makes the same mistake. So don’t feel bad ;-)

Back