Dipping my toes in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
Ok, really really wanna try my first batch of homebrew but part of me is still rather nervous about investing a whole lot of time and money into something I very well may not enjoy doing or the benefit not meeting the effort.

would I be able to do a simple 2.5 gallon extract recipe batch in a 3 gallon #3 waterbottle like this
http://www.unp.me/f8/how-to-make-beer-57407/

or would that add **** flavors to the brew and taint my first "taste" so to say of the homebrewing market...

(figured $8.50 on the 3 gallons of purified water and the bottle with the price of an airlock and thermometer thrown in isn't too much of an expenditure if I don't even up liking it)

thinking of doing a simple Hefe recipe or a Saison

(though the Hefe's are a bit quicker on the time table from what I hear)
something like

Dry Heat Wheat (halved from 5 gallons to 2.5)

3 pounds of Wheat DME
1/2 oz. German Hallertau Hops
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat

There is alot of controversey over using water bottles as fermentors. Basically, if it is a # 1 or 2 plastic, you should have no worries. The only problems other than that are oxygen permeability but since a hefe finishes off rather quickly, I dont think you would have any problems. IMO, I would do it, try the process, realize the addiciton after cracking open your first home brew and then go spend way more than your budget allows on more equipment. The most important thing for you first batch, rememer to SANITIZE everything, pick up a bottle of Star San, it works great and is very easy to use.

Have a great brewday and cheers!

There is alot of controversey over using water bottles as fermentors. Basically, if it is a # 1 or 2 plastic, you should have no worries. The only problems other than that are oxygen permeability but since a hefe finishes off rather quickly, I dont think you would have any problems. IMO, I would do it, try the process, realize the addiciton after cracking open your first home brew and then go spend way more than your budget allows on more equipment. The most important thing for you first batch, rememer to SANITIZE everything, pick up a bottle of Star San, it works great and is very easy to use.

Have a great brewday and cheers!

yeah, that's what I was thinking, if it finishes that quickly (2-3 weeks in fermentation over all for a hefe) that it wouldn't be a wild problem. Only issue I have is the waterbottles I can find in stores are all #3 plastic...

I'd do it. The case against O2 permeability deals with oxidation, which is usually only a problem over time. A hefe will finish so quickly that I think it should be ok.

But bottom line is, you should look for a PET or PETE (#1) plastic and get started. There is nothing wrong with a #7 bottle for quick test, but making decent beer is easy if you follow advice in the beginners forums and read the stickies. ANYONE can do it (except maybe takesomeadvice dude, but he is what he is)

And remember the most important thing about homebrewing! RDWHAHB!

I'll have to double check again but I swore the bottle had the #3 right by the little plastic type maker :D

And for Petes sake keep your toes out of it It's beer not wine ;-D

LOL, I shall try to adhere to those wise words of wisdom ;)

another stupid question. the recipe I'm following (although cut in half) is this one
http://www.brewersconnection.com/recipes/DryHeatWheat.htm

and it lists the yeast pack just being opened and poured straight on top. I thought that liquid yeast needed a starter yet the guy at my LHBS shop said the same thing that a starter wasn't necessary

EDIT: well went to mr. malty and for a 2.5 gallon batch like I'm thinking of doing .9 packs of the liquid yeast is good and no starter required. heh

Dump the whole smack pack in if it expands after smacking. A starter is nearly always recommended, but not necessary.

The kit looks good for a starter kit, or to experiment on for new recipes. As far as the water bottle, I wouldn't go there. You could go to your local super market's bakery and many will give you a rated 2 3-4 gallon bucket and lid for free. I got 3 at Super Walmart. They throw them into the recycle bin. Simply drill a hole in the top like the instructions for the water bottle state. You just need to clean them real well. They are usually icing containers (worse case scenerio is you get extra sugar in your brew.

If you are here, I don't think you will suffer from lack of enjoyment. You are obviously interested. I just started a couple months ago and bought a basic kit. I have only brewed one out of 4 that I actually took growlers for people to taste. My most recent, I might be fighting a fermentation temp that I never considered would cause a bad beer. You are interested, you will enjoy it, you don't have to spend a lot of money to say "now I know that I need to do ***** for my next batch". It is addictive on the "I need be beat this process" level if anything. GO FOR IT!! We will talk again after you spend your next $200.

The kit looks good for a starter kit, or to experiment on for new recipes. As far as the water bottle, I wouldn't go there. You could go to your local super market's bakery and many will give you a rated 2 3-4 gallon bucket and lid for free. I got 3 at Super Walmart. They throw them into the recycle bin. Simply drill a hole in the top like the instructions for the water bottle state. You just need to clean them real well. They are usually icing containers (worse case scenerio is you get extra sugar in your brew.

hmmm, didn't think about that. tried at my local walmart tonight they were less than helpful. any other places that people can think of to snag a food grade plastic bucket ???

If you do go with the 3 gallon bottle and a weizen, get a blow-off tube (a tube that goes into the top of the fermenter and into a bucket filled with sanitizer). In fact, do this for any beer, though I think the high proteins in wheat beers exacerbate the issue.

I had a minor explosion (fermenter top blew right off) on my last weizen (which still turned out great). I'd hate to see that happen on someone's very first brew -- it is a hell of a mess!

If you do go with the 3 gallon bottle and a weizen, get a blow-off tube (a tube that goes into the top of the fermenter and into a bucket filled with sanitizer). In fact, do this for any beer, though I think the high proteins in wheat beers exacerbate the issue.

I had a minor explosion (fermenter top blew right off) on my last weizen (which still turned out great). I'd hate to see that happen on someone's very first brew -- it is a hell of a mess!

yeah, after reading up on a lot of wheat recipes on here I've seen NUMBEROUS accounts of "very volatile fermentations" and blow ups :D

hmmm, went to safeway and found out that there water bottles are made out of #2 plastic.... I'd assume from what I've read that #2 would be an appropriate grade plastic for a test run????

You won't need a starter because of the volume. Having 2.5 or 3 gallons of 1.050 wort vs 5 gallons of 1.050 wort makes a huge difference in pitching rates. 5 Gallons, yes use a starter. 3 Gallons, don't worry about it.

wormraper said:
hmmm, went to safeway and found out that there water bottles are made out of #2 plastic.... I'd assume from what I've read that #2 would be an appropriate grade plastic for a test run????

Yes, it's the same type of plastic (HDPE) as fermenting buckets are usually made of.

Back