Dip tube diffusing stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
I had purchased a dip tube with a 0.5-micron diffusion carb stone on the bottom of it.
I see the stones that hang from the bottom of the keg lid, and that after carb'ing, to switch the gas line to the normal IN for serving. This is not an option for me unless I open the keg and disassemble the post.

I have poured a couple pints and the beer doesn't seem as carb'ed as it should be after two weeks on the gas. I am suspecting perhaps I need to add the stones Wetting psi to the regular charted psi for serving temp as I had during carbonation. thoughts?

Last edited:
I've never heard of a diffusion stone for serving. Only for oxygenating wort prior to fermenting or carbonating beer once in the keg. I don't think you'd get enough volume flow through the .5 micron holes to leave it on for serving. And it would get clogged up very easily. But will see what others have to say...

Sorry jb, I did just edit my post to what my friend and I were trying to get across. My confusion on which tube the stone was on. I edited the post and hope it makes more sense.

There are now Two tubes that go all the way to the bottom. the Gas In has a thin dip tube that goes up into the normal short gas dip tube.

I assume the head pressure is what pushes the beer up through the Out tube and then the stone would replenish the headspace from the bottom up. Just wondering if this means I should have the wetting pressure added to the serving pressure. (wetting on this stone is about 3-4 lbs)

Ok I see. You were inquiring about serving pressure and not serving through the diffusion dip tube...
The diffusion stone will certainly add resistance to the CO2 flow into the keg and require more pressure at your regulator to reach the same level of carbonation. I'm sure there is a chart or formula somewhere to figure out what that equilibrium point is. I kinda doubt increasing pressure only 3-4 lbs is going to get you where you want to be, but beats me what that number would be.
Frankly, I'm wondering what advantage the diffusion stone adds for carbonation? Maybe reduce carb time by a few days? Nothing you can't accomplish by setting pressure to 30 psi for 24-36 hours, then purge the CO2 and set to normal serving pressure.

Sorry I'm not able to help. Good luck!

Back