Dingemans vs Best vs Castle Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lele

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
In your experience, what's the differences in flavor between these pilsner malts?
What do you prefer (especially for Belgian beers) and why?

Hi everyone.
In your experience, what's the differences in flavor between these pilsner malts?
What do you prefer (especially for Belgian beers) and why?

With the exception of an American Pale Ale and Imperial Stout, all the beers I brew are Trappist inspired.

I use Weyermann for all my beers. Their malt analysis data sheets are the best in the biz, are readily available, and the taste of all the malts they produce is superior in my opinion.

You can;t go wrong with their Pale Pilsner (1.5L), their normal Pilsner (1.9-2.1L), or if you can get it, their phenomenal Barke Pilsner (2L).

I use Weyermann for all my beers. Their malt analysis data sheets are the best in the biz, are readily available, and the taste of all the malts they produce is superior in my opinion.

Thank you very much for the answer :)
Just a question: in your opinion what's the flavor differences between German pilsner (like Weyermann) and Belgian one?

I buy the least expensive.....

That's a great answer :D :D

Yes, a little bit of a snide answer....

I'm more of a don't like, like, really like type of beer taster. I cannot distinguish between malts from one batch to the next. I am sure I could tell if I had side by side tastings. But I could not tell you the answer of what pilsner malt from Acme Malts tastes like compared to pilsner malt from Maltsters Malts..... I would like beers made with either. If I did a beer with each, then and only then, could I tell you which I like better, but that is about all.

Thank you very much for the answer :)
Just a question: in your opinion what's the flavor differences between German pilsner (like Weyermann) and Belgian one?

To me they are interchangeable. I would challenge the average brewer to come up with easily discernible differences. I have historically gotten better extract and conversion from Weyermann as opposed to Dingemans/Castle. I also have some super taster pals who can tell the differences between base malts readily. YMMV.

They are certainly not as starkly different as US vs. Continental Pilsner.

The difference for me is that Weyermann is more readily available than the Belgian varieties.

The difference for me is that Weyermann is more readily available than the Belgian varieties.

I'm luckier, because I live in Italy and so both German and Belgian malts are readily available. Instead, American malts ares't available at all.

To add a few more European choices to the mix, I've made nice lagers from Avangard and Swaen Pilsner malts.

I do like Swaen. I thought Avangard was rather flat. I also like Best, but I’ve had to really watch ph with it.
I’d love to find a domestic Pils malt. I’ve quit buying online for the most part. So now I’m using what my local carries. Choice is Avangard and Swaen, and Swaen I prefer.

I do like Swaen. I thought Avangard was rather flat. I also like Best, but I’ve had to really watch ph with it.
I’d love to find a domestic Pils malt. I’ve quit buying online for the most part. So now I’m using what my local carries. Choice is Avangard and Swaen, and Swaen I prefer.

I can get Dingemans Pils, Avangard Pils, Swaen Pils, and Weyermann Pale Pilsner from a few different local sources.

In all cases I prefer the Weyermann Pale Pilsner. I use it as my main base malt along with Weyermann Vienna and Munich I for all my beers.

Back