Different???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zibe

Reaction score
Alright first 5 gallon keg of cider is about to kick. It was just Walmart juice with a few Granny Smith and red delicious apples chopped and thrown in (don't think this did much). Not bad but nothing special. I live in south west Texas so no access to true cider apples or sweet cider juice. But is it possible to treat cider with a beer approach?

I figure this is my "base malt":

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466730700.578154.jpg

Whole apples my "specialty grains", in this case I used:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466730808.789082.jpg

I quartered them, froze them, thawed them, and puréed in a nutri bullet.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466730885.975184.jpg

I then used about 1/2 gallon of juice to liquefy it a little more and stove topped pasteurized by bringing it to 160deg on the stove then cooled added to juice (4.5 gallons juice to 3 pounds apples)

Just pitched Nottingham

After seeing how this goes start blending other varieties as needed.

Anyone else doing anything like this that might already have a "recipe"? Thoughts?

I'll update for sure but here's a few thoughts on these so called "specialty malts" (that don't need to be apples)

Granny Smith- tartness
Teabags- tannins
Raisins- body??? (Dextrinous malt?)

Homebrew store is considerable distance so trying to stay in the supermarket with the exception of yeast, nutrient, and pectic enzyme.

Also, while I believe most of this gluten free nonsense is a fad the SWMBO has been medically diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity so staying grain free, actually the whole point of this exercise.

I have been using store brand or on-sale brand of juice for a few years now. I also have been trying the addition of other flavors to see what kind of a finished cider I can get. (various juice concentrates- cranberry and white-grape peach are fantastic)
The last time I had fresh apples from the local tress, I juiced and fermented them and made some very drinkable cider. I currently have a 5+ gallon batch that included 10 pounds of mixed apples (granny smith 6 pounds and whatever apples I had put into the deep-freeze to prevent spoilage) a couple of pears from the freezer, and 3 gallons of 3 apple blended store bought juice and 21 cans of FAJC. My O.G was 1.082 and I used 4184 Sweet Mead Yeast built up in a 3 step starter. I added 2 tsp pectic enzyme and 1 tsp DAP at pitching just to be safe... In less than 12 hours I had solid fermentation at 61 F and the fermenter is set at 68 F. I stir aerated the must last night( 18 hours) and will aerate for the next few days until the SG hits 1.030 and I will then seal the airlock. I have developed a great fondness for applejack and the majority of this batch will be freeze-concentrated as such. There will be a few 12 oz bottles of this "apfelwine" drawn off and laid down to rest before the big freeze occurs.
I don't know if the 6 pounds of Granny Smith apples will add anything or not, and it may be a while, but I will post will my subjective findings at the first round of tastings. :)

Looks like we're trying similar methods but making very different products. But let me know how much that Granny Smith pulls through. I just want to try and classify the apples I can actually get into the cider types like you would with specialty grains then start working on amounts. I can look at a beer recipe and have a decent idea at least of how it would come out with the amounts and types. Is it possible to do the same with a cider with a regular apple juice base and thinking of the whole fruit as "specialty grains". I guess I need to see what exact varieties I can get here first.

That's not how it's typically done. Apples get juiced and the total blend determines the outcome. You can't start with store bought juice, add some apples, and reliably predict the results.

People do make great cider with store bought juice, adding tannins, acid and maybe spices. Adjustments are usually made at the end when fermentation is done. Experience is the best teacher.

The better solution though is to choose the apple blend up front.

Agreed just trying to work with what I have and trying something like:

4.5 gal apple juice
2 lbs puréed gala apples
1 lb puréed Granny Smith
X amount teabags
(Not actual "recipe" just an example)

I still believe that by doing this I could get somewhat consistent results (obviously apples vary) and a more complex cider than plain Wally World Apple juice.
Once I get a formula I like I can taste it before and after to train myself what it should taste like before and maybe make adjustment then.

Back