Different Yeast starter method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anything wrong with making up a yeast starter, and then put it into an empty steralized 6.5 gallon carboy? Then pitching the wort right onto it?
Any problems with doing it this way? I do not have a stir plate, or a flask.
Thanks
Josh

How much LME should I use in the starter?

It sounds fine, the large headspace and surface/volume ratio could even help keep the starter oxygenated.

Do let's wait for others to comment, though.

you do not NEED a stir plate or a flask to make a starter. that's just one of the many ways (though it does provide a VERY optimal environment for yeast propagation)

all you need is a sanitized bottle, cap and airlock, and some wort at 1.040 gravity to make a simple but effective starter.

I don't see anything wrong with doing that. Though as malkore pointed out, you don't need to have a flask or stirr plate to make a decent starter. I use 64 oz. Ocean Spray juice bottles. A peice of sanitized aluminum foil is all the cap you really need. Give the starter a shake every couple hours when your home to help rouse the yeast and oxygenate. Or, put it on top of your washing machine and do some laundry. That's the ghetto stir plate method. :rockin:

The amount of LME you use is dependant on the ppg, or points per pound per gallon. If I'm not mistaken, most light LME's will be between 35-38 ppg. In other words, 1 pound of extract in 1 gallon of water will yield a gravity of 1.035 -1.038.

I think that should work just fine. I don't know where I originally read it, but 1 oz. of DME per 1 cup of water should yield a 1.040 gravity starter.

Sherpa FE said:
Anything wrong with making up a yeast starter, and then put it into an empty steralized 6.5 gallon carboy? Then pitching the wort right onto it?
Any problems with doing it this way? I do not have a stir plate, or a flask.
Thanks
Josh

How much LME should I use in the starter?

I am going to try that with my lagers as they do require large starters. It is so simple an idea and yet someone had to point it out to me. I must be a creature of habit.

The only problem I see with that method is that you first have to place your COOLED wort into another container to take your temp and gravity readings. After that you are free to dump it onto the yeast starter. ;)

My issue with my system would be with temperature control of the wort going onto the starter. I use a CFC and it takes a bit to get the output temperature dialed in. Sometimes the initial wort coming out is 100F and I wouldn't want to kill my yeasties.

Latest posts

Back