Different versions of Jamil's Evil Twin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonGavlar

Reaction score
Hi there,

I plan on brewing Jamil's Evil Twin as my next batch, however, having trouble deciding between which recipe to follow.

The versions on Mr Malty and the AHA website are made with Centennial & Amarillo

The versions on the NB clone and in Jamil's book brewing classic styles (called west coast blaster in the book but same recipe) use Centennial & Cascade then the book calls for Horizon as a bittering hop and the NB clone calls for Columbus.

On top of that I've read that the original uses Columbus & Citra and a slightly different grain bill.

My question is, has anyway brewed any of these different versions and compared or even just brewed one of them and have some feedback? I saw that @Yooper brewed a slightly altered version way back in 2012 but instead of reviving a dead thread I thought I'd see if there are any new thoughts on this. I'm basically just looking for a delicious IPA with a nice deep red colour for Christmas and in the past I've never been disappointed with a Jamil recipe so wanted to give this a go.

Cheers

"West Coast Blaster" uses a 60 min boil with the first hop addition at 60 min. "Evil Twin" uses a 60 min boil with the first hop addition at 20 min.

... has anyway brewed any of these different versions and compared or even just brewed one of them and have some feedback?
Over the years, I've brewed a couple of variations of each. IMO, there's something about boiling wort (without hops) that makes "Evil Twin" work (it's 'not the same' when done as a 20 min boil).

If you're seriously, seriously interested in experiencing "Evil Twin" get as close to the original recipe as possible.

"West Coast Blaster" uses a 60 min boil with the first hop addition at 60 min. "Evil Twin" uses a 60 min boil with the first hop addition at 20 min.

Over the years, I've brewed a couple of variations of each. IMO, there's something about boiling wort (without hops) that makes "Evil Twin" work (it's 'not the same' when done as a 20 min boil).

If you're seriously, seriously interested in experiencing "Evil Twin" get as close to the original recipe as possible.

Ah yes, you're right. Well spotted, I missed that. So go with the Centennial & Amarillo variation you'd say?

Back