Different colors of Brown Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have used the "normal" color Brown Malt several times for porters and stouts.
This would be Fawcett or Warminister which themselves vairy a lot in color but would be approx. 150 EBC or 60 Lovibond.

I wanted to order more with my last order but none of the shops I order from have these anymore.
I found another brown malt which is 400 to 500 EBC or 150 to 190 Lovibond so I ordered that.
I assume it is probably this one from Simpsons but the supplier still needs to confirm.

https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/brown-malt/
I know there is always a difference in color from malster to malster but this is a huge difference in the color to the brown malt I usually use.
Anyone have experience with using both types?
Any large difference in the flavour?
Should I just use less of the darker type if a recipe is asking for the lighter version?

I know from experience that the lighter one tastes like toasted bread crusts.
From the description of the darker one it sounds a lot like it goes more in the direction of coffee and would be comparable to what some malsters call Coffee Malt. So I might use it in an India Brown Ale clone.

Thanks for your input! :)

Last edited:
I have used the "normal" color Brown Malt several times for porters and stouts.
This would be Fawcett or Warminister which themselves vairy a lot in color but would be approx. 150 EBC or 60 Lovibond.
Yes, that's what I'm familiar with too.
I have Crisp Brown Malt that's 45-60°L, it's a medium-dark tan to light brown, and in flavor, unlike any of the darker roasts.

Now from what I've read there are many different types of "Brown Malt," due to the way they're produced.

I found another brown malt which is 400 to 500 EBC or 150 to 190 Lovibond so I ordered that.
150-190°L sounds really high, and dark!
For reference, Pale Chocolate Malt (Crisp) is 200-250°L and the lowest in the dark roasts I have.

Yes, that's what I'm familiar with too.
I have Crisp Brown Malt that's 45-60°L, it's a medium-dark tan to light brown, and in flavor, unlike any of the darker roasts.

Now from what I've read there are many different types of "Brown Malt," due to the way they're produced.

150-190°L sounds really high, and dark!
For reference, Pale Chocolate Malt (Crisp) is 200-250°L and the lowest in the dark roasts I have.

The online brew shop confirmed it is the Simpsons brown malt I linked in the original post.
I still have 4 pounds of Fawcetts so I will use that for now in the recipes that ask for brown malt
There are some recipes that call for coffee malt so I will use the Simpsons for that.

If I can fit it in I might do a comparsion by brewing a brown porter with each, only changing the type of brown malt.

I know there are a few members on here who are crazy about brown malt.
So it would be good to know if someone else has compared them.
Doesn't have to be these exact malts but any dark one compared to a light one.
If it's OK to use the same amounts and you only get a different flavour profile or if it's advisable to cut back a bit when using the darker version.
Color changes don't bother me as both will be dark brown ;)

Last edited:
Back