Differences between crystal 75 and crystal 80

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rand0

Reaction score
Ok so besides the slight color difference would substituting one for the other give very much flavor/aroma differnce. My recipe calls for 8oz crystal 80 the shop doesn't cary it. They do have crystal 75 and 90 as well. Still pretty new to this but my guess would be the difference wouldn't be great. Just looking for some opinions any help would be excelent.

You should be fine subbing with either (probably 75 would be better than 90), but there can be significant differences in taste depending on the maltster (i.e. malting company). If your recipe calls for an english crystal then try to stay with an english maltster (that kind of thing).

Oh yeah thank you very much. I figured if it wouldn't be a huge difference. I was aware of the differences between the english and domestic maltsters though. I'll be using all domestic malt for the recipe. Thanks again

Back