Did not put the cap on my airlock...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohanTheMighty

Reaction score
Hi, I'm brewing my first beer and I wasn't quite sure how the airlock thingy works. I reasoned that since the brewing would cause CO2 to be released, that putting the cap on my air lock would result in it blowing off, so I reasoned that the cap was to stay off of the air lock. There were also no pictures to guide me, so I guessed that the cap was just to make it convenient to keep the whole thing together. So it has been fermenting for 3 days now, with no lid on my air lock. I finally saw a video that showed the person placing it on their fermenter with the cap on, and only now realize that I made an error... So how serious was my error???

I should also add that I DID fill the air lock 1/2 way with sanitizing solution as the directions require, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference...

The lid isn't air tight. It really just prevents things from getting into the liquid. Even if something did it would be difficult to get into the fermenter

I think the cap is really to keep bugs out if the airlock. But even if bugs DO get into the airlock, they drown in the vodka/sanitizer and never reach the beer. The vodka/sanitizer is the important part. You're fine with or without the cap.

Yea dude That's really not a big deal. Micro organisms can fall in the water but won't be able to make the trip down through the water, back inside the inner part of the airlock, through the tube and then in to your lovely krausen. If you want to sleep a little better anyway, put a splash of clear liquor in it as well, the alcohol will help boost the sanitation level of it.

The lid is perforated to let the co2 out. It is to keep bugs,etc out. The inner cone, on a 3 piece or the s curves in a one piece airlock, and the sanitized water keep the bacteria,etc out.

If you had the sanitized water in there you are A-OK.

Thank you all so very much. I really appreciate your time and input. I feel better about it already!

I think the real reason for the airlock cap is the lovely bubbles it makes as the krausen comes foaming out. Just kidding, I always use the cap. No worries, just use it next time.

Just snap it on. I've used the 3 piece ones since making wine in my teens. I believe the cap limits the travel of the center piece so the FV retains a certain amount of pressure. Without the cap,I always figured it's blow off more co2 than one would want it too?...Just my theory from 40 years of it...

I think the real reason for the airlock cap is the lovely bubbles it makes as the krausen comes foaming out. Just kidding, I always use the cap. No worries, just use it next time.

I use starsan so sometimes my airlocks look like they have a funky haircut :fro:.

I just google this question and came to this. I had this exact same thing happen. Started my first attempt at some cider Saturday, put on the airlocks, no cap, and was fiddling around just now and saw videos with caps on. I wasn't even thinking, and am pretty sure those caps got pitched. I figure some saran wrap, or preferably sturdy wax paper with a few holes poked with a needle will do the trick.

Paper coffee filter would work too - wrapped around the top with a rubber band.

It will let air escape, but no bugs can get through it

IMG_20140320_210529.jpg

That's a spider in my airlock because I didn't use a cap. Use a cap, or you might get spiders in your airlock.

My guess is that possibly like mosquitoes they are attracted to the co2 being released, but I may be wrong. Use a cap.

I never bother to put the cap on mine, it flys off mid fermentation.

Use the cap,it's there for a reason,like when spidey got thirsty above. And I use cheap vodka in my airlocks to kill anything that gets through the little holes in the cap. Also helps prevent infections in the event of a suck back,created by the partial vacuum when the temp drops after initial fermentation is done.

Hi, I'm brewing my first beer and I wasn't quite sure how the airlock thingy works. I reasoned that since the brewing would cause CO2 to be released, that putting the cap on my air lock would result in it blowing off, so I reasoned that the cap was to stay off of the air lock. There were also no pictures to guide me, so I guessed that the cap was just to make it convenient to keep the whole thing together. So it has been fermenting for 3 days now, with no lid on my air lock. I finally saw a video that showed the person placing it on their fermenter with the cap on, and only now realize that I made an error... So how serious was my error???

The purpose of the lid is too prevent insects like mosquitoes from entering the airlock. The lid has tiny openings for CO2 to escape.

My instructions were unclear about the cap too (Northern Brewery), and thought why'd you leave it on, since gas can't escape. 24 hours later and 1/2 of my sanitizing solution was either evaporated/burped out. The burping was 30 secs initially w/o cap on, now that it's on, it's burping constantly.

My fermenting kit had loads of beautiful pics online but Zero instructions on use, especially for the airlock, so I'm hunting for explanations. I too wanted to know if I take the cap off the airlock. Why do they assume everyone is experienced? I get this on a lot of subjects. Try asking a newbie question on some programming sites and you'll get snotty non-answers about how you should know that.

The cap keeps bugs from getting into the airlock. You can leave it off as long as you keep liquid at the correct level so the critters can't get through the lock and into the fermenter. Cheers!

The cap keeps bugs from getting into the airlock. You can leave it off as long as you keep liquid at the correct level so the critters can't get through the lock and into the fermenter. Cheers!
Also, keeping the liquid at proper levels is fundamental to the device functioning as an "air lock". It's purpose is to allow fermentation gas (CO2) to escape without allowing air (oxygen specifically) to get back into the fermenter. Air locks are not perfect at keeping O2 out, but they are much better than nothing.

As noted, they also keep bugs, and other debris, out.

Brew on :mug:

When I leave my airlocks with caps off (which happens rarely) and filled with cheap Wodka (which happens always), I have a little entomological collection floating inside the lock by the end of the fermentation: Fruit Flies, tiny Spiders, other unidentified tiny insects.
As long as Wodka doesn't dry off, the fermenting beer is perfectly safe.
I'm sure there's zero Bacteria in that sterilised insect soup.
I won't be as sure if my lock was filled with just plain Water, though.

Hmmm I only put water in my airlock hope not a big deal, I bottle in 4 days.
You should be fine, as long as none of the water gets into the fermenter. But, you should use some kind of sanitizer solution, such as Star San, or cheap vodka next time.

Edit: I just noticed the date of the post I quoted....

Back