Did my fermentation stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElCid79

Reaction score
I know I need to take multiple consecutive gravity readings to tell for certain. Just took the first one today.

I made a brown ale and used safeale-04 dryyeast. I rehydrated them, and pitched them into a beer with an og of 1.054.

Within a few hours the airlock was bubbling like crazy. Within 48 hours it had totally stopped, and was resting on the flange....

I took a reading today and its showing 1.026 which is higher than I would like.

Any thoughts?

How can you tell that fermentation has 'totally stopped' at 48 hours?

(rhetorical question, because you can't).

Give it some time (at least 7 days, better 14) and check the gravity then. If it's still at 1.026 then you probably have a stuck fermentation but just sit back and relax for now. 95% chance you beer will ferment out just fine and you will have yummy beer at the end :tank:

I was referencing the airlock, not the fermentation. But in a sealed vessel, with a fermentation byproduct of CO2, the airlock should have slight activity..

Thanks for the advice though.. I will leave it a week and test again, if its stuck, I will figure something out.

haha I know and yes, you are totally right. There are a lot of reasons for airlocks not to bubble even though some fermentation is happening. Temperature changes, barometric pressure changes, slightly poor seals on fermentation chamber, you can look at it sideways, etc. How long after you opened the fermenter to take the gravity did you notice that there was no airlock activity? If it was within a day or so then it could definitely be because all of the pressure escaped when it was opened.

At what temperature is it fermenting?

Take home point is that I wouldn't worry at all unless the gravity is still high after a week or so. :)

Under normal circumstances,when the rapid bubbling slows or stops,only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up any by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before packaging.

patience young grasshopper

All in good time. No peeking!

+1. If you're using a fermenter bucket, popping the lid off too often isn't really a good practice.

S-04 is a pretty solid performer, especially rehydrated like you wisely did. Hopefully, the next hydro sample (at two weeks?) will be more in line with what you are expecting.

Put it in the keg last night. worked out to 1.020. Which was just a dash higher than ideal for style. But it tasted good, and the ABV fell within the appropriate range. Should be really good!

Back