Did I ruin my WLP001?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
So I ordered a IPA kit from love2brew.com and totally forgot that I got liquid yeast with it. Left it sit in my basement at 66F-66F for about 2 weeks. I just opened the kit tonight and remembered. So I put it in the fridge, should it be ok? I have some pics if it helps.

IMG_8654.jpg

IMG_6982.jpg

It looks like there is a lot more yeast than normal. Make a starter and see what it does. If it seems healthy after 12- 24 hours in the starter-pitch it (into the wort). I would brew until i had good yeast.

OK. I will try a starter and see if it takes. Can I make a starter without the special stir plate?

OK. I will try a starter and see if it takes. Can I make a starter without the special stir plate?

Definitely, just give it a swirl or two whenever you're around it. If it's somewhere out of the way that can mean a special trip I guess.

I make starter every batch without z stir plate. I use 4 cups water to 1 cup dme, get water to boil, turn off heat whisk in dme bring back to boil for 10 min, chill- and pitch yeast- put away from sunlight. Swirl every time you walk by. Pitch with in 12-24 hours.

You can see a white line at the bottom, that is yeast. That's what your looking for, it should settle to the bottom. Take notice of the level every time you swirl it. The cake should be getting bigger.

image-3173323874.jpg

*Yours will have more liquid. I'm trying to grow the remaining yeast left in the vial after pouring to make a different starter. *

Do I use some of the DME that came with the kit or should I try and find something at the LHBS that matches the DME I have? I would hate to mess up the batch by not having enough DME.

Use light or extra light, I have been using wheat dme because it was on sale. I don't think it matters, if you are concerned just decant before you pitch.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
just use light or extra light DME. not from the kit, so you don't change the beer.

If you can replace it before your brew day just use the dme from the kit. If your brewing tomorrow your yeast will be ready to pitch and it gives you time to pick more dme in the morning.

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will be stopping by the LHBS to pick up some extra light DME for my starter.

On a side note, this forum is awesome because of everyone that provides useful information.

lawle102 said:
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will be stopping by the LHBS to pick up some extra light DME for my starter.

On a side note, this forum is awesome because of everyone that provides useful information.

Yeah- this place is awesome!

Just got back from the LHBS and the only ale yeast they had was coopers. Will this be suitable for my IPA if my liquid yeast is no good?

Quick update: I made my starter tonight as I plan to brew tomorrow. When I opened my wlp0001 it started to fizz like a bastard and smelled like beer. I am assuming this is a bad thing. But I am going to keep occasionally stirring it and see if its worth my time.

Well, sounds like your yeast woke up in the warm and then used up any remaining sugars. Really doesn't tell you whether they are healthy now or not but just that they have been actively fermenting recently. Wait to see what your starter does overnight. If it is fizzy when you give it a swirl after a day or so and produces more yeast and froth with time, you are probably golden. If nothing happens overnight, time to pick up a packet of S-05 or a new vial of yeast.

Another update. After making my starter it appears to have created a nice layer of krausen. Does this mean it is suitable to pitch in my wort today?

Yes it does. If you want to increase cell count you may need more time, but the krausen definitely tells you that the yeast is viable and healthy.

Back