Did I rouse the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePaleAler

Reaction score
I have an IPA that i wanted to bottle today. It is a variation of Edwort's Bee Cave IPA.

I was rummaging through my fermentation chamber and moved the fermenters around quite a bit and obviously there was some movement of the wort inside the fermenters and maybe even a little splashing. Wanted to bottle this batch this evening.

When I got home after work there were tiny bubbles coming to the surface and some airlock activity!

I brewed it 24 days ago. In the primary since. Us-05 yeast.

Did I rouse the yeast with my activity this mornig or what is going on?

Pulp Brewing:

"Bring out the yeast."
"The yeast are sleeping."
"Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake them up now, won't you?."

Seriously, though, the answer is probably not. Airlock activity means very little. You can get airlock activity from a completely empty carboy if the atmospheric pressure changes.

HYDROMETER READING!! It's the only thing that accurately tells you if fermentation is complete. Take a hydrometer reading and see if you are at or near FG. At 24 days, it should be welllllll done, but that's the only way to know for sure.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the help.

Never thought about atmospheric pressure. I can see how a drop in pressure can cause some gas to come out of solution.

I know I should have taken a hydrometer reading. Usually I am very laid back and take only two readings. OG and a final reading right before bottling. If it is anywhere close to my expected FG I bottle.

Will probably bottle within the next few days but I am pretty confident I reached terminal gravity.

Will let you know how it turns out.

O here is how it turned out.

FG came in at 1012. Couple of gravity points lower than expected but not by much. Mashed in a little lower than usual so no surprises there.

Tastes fantastic. Exactly like it always does.

Back