Did I put my yeast to sleep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

403Brewer

Reaction score
I accidentally started my fermentation of Nottingham yeast at 5 C deg for about 15 hours (forgot to reset my temp controller from a cold crash) and I'm getting very little fermentation activity 48 hr later thought the airlock. Its in a stainless fermenter so I cannot see any activity inside. Did I possibly put the yeast to sleep or kill them with the initial cold temp? Or did they possibly all drop to the bottom of my fermentor too? Any thoughts on what to do or just relax and let it do its thing. Thanks

I think you could probably just wait and let it do its thing. That temp probably just caused the yeast to drop to the bottom. You could try rocking the fermentor back and forth to try and rouse the yeast back into suspension but I think it will be fine once the yeast wake up and realize they are swimming in delicious sugars to munch on.

Latest posts

Back