Did I get a good deal or did I accidently rip someone off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I bought a used 6 gallon glass carboy and handle for $20 from a fellow that was selling most of his brewing equipment. this seemed like a win-win deal for both of us and I asked if he had anything else to sell and he showed my his 15 gallon keggle with false bottom and ball lock valve. He said he used it about 4-5 times but it had been collecting dust for 5-6 years. I asked him how much and he said to make him an offer so I just said $100 and bought the thing.

Now I am wondering if I might have offered too low of moeny for something like this and I don't want to feel like I ripped him off so does anyone think this was a good or fair price for one of these? I know it is his responsibilty to find out how much it was worth but he didn't really want to put out an add and try to find a time to meet someone to look at it. I plan on passing along some of my early equipment buys now to one of my former college students (who is also a gulf war vet) to help get him started in the hobby.

People on this forum have been so generous with their time and advice that I want to continue to feel like I didn't take advantage of this fellow. I am not sure what these go for on the used market and I have never used a false bottom set up before so I would like any advice anyone want to share on how to properly use and maintain a keggle like this so it will last. Anyone have any thoughts or do's and don'ts regarding keggle with false bottom use?

Mick

1022001650a.jpg

1022001650.jpg

I have seen the same setup selling for 200 new, 50% off for used and gathering dust, seems like you got a sweet deal, wouldn't go as far as to say you ripped him off unless you were holding a gun when you said how about $100, he didn't have to sell it to you for that price.....

grats on the buy! :mug:

That looks like a sabco universal siphon and that thing alone would cost 100$ either way you scored and he was happy. After all it was just collecting dust. That is also there False bottom because I can see the Screw legs welded on the underside, I forgot how much i payed for mine. Nice find and don't feel like you ripped him off. Just be happy you got the thing for 100. Cheers

Why would you feel like you ripped him off? You offered a price, he accepted. Unless you used coercion or force, or he was under the influence of something, how could you possibly be ripping him off? Personally, I would have started around $75 to see where he was at, maybe lower. If he is no longer brewing, then the value of that item to him is much less than the value it holds for you now. And since he didn't have the inclination to market the item, you were his market.

If you are going to feel guilty every time that you look at it, I will give you $100 for it. It then be out of sight, out of mind.

People on this forum have been so generous with their time and advice that I want to continue to feel like I didn't take advantage of this fellow. I am not sure what these go for on the used market and I have never used a false bottom set up before so I would like any advice anyone want to share on how to properly use and maintain a keggle like this so it will last. Anyone have any thoughts or do's and don'ts regarding keggle with false bottom use?

In the spirit of generosity, I want to offer to take care of that keggle for you at my house. I'll make sure it doesn't collect any more dust!

Seriously good deal. I was looking for one a while back and due to cost (see: http://www.brew-magic.com/ketl_boil.html) I went with a MegaPot.

He either built it or bought it, so he knows exactly how much its worth. In any case, if he accepted the $100, I see no problem. He wasn't brewing anymore, so its completely useless to him.

OK...now I feel just fine about the purchase. I'll probably bring him some of the first homebrew I make with this size of kettle. My first kettle was 5 gallon and I never thought I would be doing the all grain thing so when that happened I moved to an 8 gallon aluminum kettle but this still limits batches to around 6 gallons.

Is there anything I should do to the inside of the kettle and the false bottom beiseds giving everything a good cleaning and rinse before using it?

What you have is perfect...As I said, I still need to purchase a universal Siphon and that alone will cost me more than your whole kettle purchase. You could direct fire with that MT since the FB is 15"s. If you pre-heat you wont need to worry. Truly Jealous, If you find not liking the Siphon PM me, i'll be happy to give you 50$ for it. Cheers

If I added a screen and a pickup tube to my keggle and you offered me $100 I would have made money.
A price that was offered and accepted is the right price.

I am feeling much better about the price I offered the fellow. Time is money and he would have spent time listing this item and then trying to coordinate when people would come to look at it. It took us 4 days to find a time for him to meet me for me to buy the 6 gal carboy. Thus, this saves him time and save me lots of money trying to order one. I typically give away about 1/2 of what I brew to friends and coworkers so this good deal will just continue to benefit many others. I have had pretty good luck brewing since I took up the hobby 18 months ago and was concerned that I might anger the homebrewing gods if I took advantage of another homebrewer on this purchase. Looking back I don't know why I should have been concerned. He most likely would know what he paid for it with something that big.

I am not sure of what to make in if for the first brew because I am not sure of how to incorporate this into my existing brew plan yet. I current do all grain with a converted 10 gallon rectangular cooler for the mash tun and then boil the wort in an 8 gallon pot. All of the heating of water is done with a propane turkey fryer. I am not sure if I can really benefit using this keggle as a mash tun with just one heat source but at least I know can do bigger sized boils than before until I figure it all out.

Would there be any reason to keep the false bottom in the kettle if i am just using it for the 60-90 min boils?

Might try doing a Phat Tyre clone recipe or another amber ale that has been popular with my fiends and new neighbors where we moved to. Too late in the year to brew a wheat for keeping through the winter.

Thanks for all of the great feedback on my purchase.

hmmm I still found use for a kettle used it for my HLT then I also used it as a BK. You could get away with doing 10 gallon batches in it. But i only do this If i know it is a proven recipe and I know i'll love it. You just have to heat the sparge water a bit higher than normal then transfer to a bucket/container of some sort, Drain then use it to sparge. Its a bit more work but can be done. If you use whole hops the bottom will help. Pellets you wont notice a difference and unless you whirlpool or have a dip tube point back towards the kettle you may get the valve stuck. Use hop bags for pellets, and since you have a centered pickup that is ideal for a MT (unless you DIY a hop stopper) I would just stick to keeping it simple. Browse the threads for info as usual...were homebrewer's we figure **** out.

That looks like a sabco universal siphon and that thing alone would cost 100$ either way you scored and he was happy. After all it was just collecting dust. That is also there False bottom because I can see the Screw legs welded on the underside, I forgot how much i payed for mine. Nice find and don't feel like you ripped him off. Just be happy you got the thing for 100. Cheers

Exactly, you offered, he accepted, done deal, why are you worried?

it's a good thing I found this thread. I'm the guy that you bought the keggle from, and I feel ripped off. I still have your hundred dollars, and I'd like to have my keggle back. I've since moved to Staten Island NY though, so let's work something out. Thanks

Sincerely yours,
The Guy You Ripped Off

It's reasonable, esp. for someone who's been out for a few years and wants to pass stuff along. He's happy - knows what he paid... - and you're happy.

Skol!

Dave

$100, holy smokes that is totally unreasonable.

Because I am sucha generous guy, I will take it off your hands so you don't feel guilty about it. Heck, I will even pay for shipping. :ban:

In all honesty the seller had to know what it cost, if it was too low he could say no. He didn't, so no worries.

dont feel too bad, im going tomorrow to look at some brewing equipment, pails, carboys, thermometer, hydrometer, capper, sanitation equipment, bottles ect. this particular guy has what he says is two complete starter kits including pots. hw wants 59 bucks for one, Im gonna offer him 100 bucks for both and I can sell what I dont need later. Its all about opprotunity and how you take advantage of it. all about timing

Thanks for sharing your opinion everyone. After reading these comments and starting to look at building a brewstand I don't feel any more guilt about such a great deal. I have never had a keggle before and look forward to being able to use it.

I probably won't be building my brewing stand until spring so if anyone has any info you want to pass along about stand construction and equipment I would love to read about it.

Does anyone know of using the false bottom in this keggle will do anything to lower the amount of hops drained from the wort into the fermentor? I want to be able to use this for my first 8 gallon recipe next weekend and I don't know if keeping the the fals bottom in the keggle will help at all when the keggle is used as a brew pot.

Thanks,

Mick

I use a false bottom in my brew kettle and it has definitely helped. It won't keep everything out but you should see a noticeable reduction. I don't add the false bottom until I am ready to add the hops. I am concerned about scorching which is why I wait. Good luck.

I don't understand how you can add the false bottom to the kettle once the BK has wart in it? Am I missing something.

I use a false bottom in my brew kettle and it has definitely helped. It won't keep everything out but you should see a noticeable reduction. I don't add the false bottom until I am ready to add the hops. I am concerned about scorching which is why I wait. Good luck.

Is there a wide variety of false bottom styles that would allow some to be added to the kettle after wort has been collected? I looked closely at mine and I don't see it being possible.

Thus, should I plan to have the false bottom in place when using the keggle as a boil kettle or should I forget about using the false bottom?

If I was you I would use that set up as my MAsh tun...unless your 10 gallon cooler works for you. You won't be able to do 10gallon batches either way unless you do multiple sparges or get a bigger kettle. If you decide to use it as a MT then you'll need a larger pot to boil 10 gallon batches in. If not you'll be ok doing 5 gallon batches. I guarantee he was using the kettle as a MT and thats what the false botto
Was intended for...pellet hops will go right through the holes of the False bottom. So unless you use hop bags or a hop stopper I wouldn't suggest using a center pick up in a BK.

Good to know. My plan is to eventually use a 2 or 3 tier system with this keggle as a mash tun but I would probably have to have two burners at that point and a way to cover the keggle during the mashing process. I do use pellet hops so i willl just keep the false bottom out of it for now.

thanks for the info.

Back