Did I forget to add priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
4 weeks ago I bottled 4 gallons of Arrogant Bastard Clone. I moved 2.5 gallons onto oak. The oaked beer was bottled a week ago.

Since bottling the initial beer I have opened a bottle each week, and it has been flat. I opened a bottle of the oaked beer this evening (well half a bottle - it was the end of the bucket), and it had some carbonation. Bothe beers are stored in the same place (low 60s, basement, PacMan yeast).

I am seriously wondering if I forgot to prime the initial 4 gallons. I have a higher gravity beer bottled since then that has carbed OK.

Any suggestions on what I can do with the remaining 36 bottles I have, or do I just drink them flat. I thought about carb tabs, but my KHBS is not very near here. Maybe add some sugar to each bottle and re-cap.

What temp are your bottles being stored at?

I had a batch that didn't carb up at all until 5 weeks, I was freaking out like you are. It turned out fine... I think the bottles were being stored at around 60 degrees which makes for some slow carb'ing. The warmer, the faster.

yep, I'd move those bottles somewhere that's closer to 70 before trying anything else

I've done that before had a couple of brews before bottling. Only got about 12 done though before i realized that my sugar was still siting on the counter. could you dump them in a sanitized bucket then add you sugar and bottle again. I started with a mister beer kit and thats how you carb the beer by adding a measured amount of sugar to the bottle problem is that they are not always the same you might spill a little on this bottle add to much to that bottle and so on.

I like the idea of moving it to a warmer spot. I bottled a porter about five weeks and put in my 59-61 degree basement. At the four week mark it was barely carbonated. I moved it to a slightly warmer spot (68 degrees) and it has a nice head now. Maybe it just needed the extra time, but I think the warmer temps helped.

Yea I have a 10% abv wheat beer has been in the bottle for 2 months now with no carb. I've since swirled the bottles and stored them upstairs, which is a few degrees warmer, reason I am not worried is because I made that beer last year and it took 4 months for some of the bottles to fully carb.

Worse case add sugar to each bottle, might not be that consistent unless you make a sugar syrup and use a pipette to measure each addition (might be a good time to experiment with maple syrup or honey!).

Thanks.

I'll move one bottle to a warmer room and leave for 2 weeks to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back