Diaceyl Rest Hot Mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syke0021

Reaction score
I'm almost too embarrassed to post this, but view it as an opportunity to learn more from my mistake(s).

I brewed a huge doppelbock for a competition that required me to have an OG over 1.100. The OG ended up at 1.114 before I hit it with a few minutes of oxygen and repitched an entire yeast cake of Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast from a 1.056 Festbier.

Everything was going great. Fermenting at 50 degrees, I had a full krausen with 12 hours and a blowoff hose was needed within 20 hours. For me, this was unprecedented lager activity. Yeast activity was vigorous for 5 days before beginning to slow.

I had been concerned that I the beer would stall out too soon due to the high alcohol content. I wanted to allow the yeast activity to raise the temperature to 65 for a diacetly rest and have the yeast work for 48 hours while still slightly active. Thus, when I saw reduced activity this morning on my way out the door, I made the call to turn off the temperature control unit. Tonight, after 12 hours away, the temperature had risen to 58 degrees and when I moved the carboy out of my fermentation chamber, I realized the yeast was much more active than I previously thought.

At this point, I did what I should have done in the morning, if time allowed, and took a hydrometer reading at 1.060. This is only about 60% of the way there when typically I wait until I'm 75-80%. Because I was still within the 2124's temperature range, I decided to return it to the fermentation chamber and go back down to 50 degrees for a few more days(until at 1.042). I'm fearful that reducing the temperature at this point may have even more of a negative effect on the yeast and shock them into inactivity, but don't want to be at 58+ degrees either. :mad:

So, obviously I've learned my lesson and will never again assume I'm ready for a diacetyl rest without a hydrometer reading. If anyone has any idea what I can expect from this hot mess, I'd be happy to hear about it. Otherwise, I'll just update the thread with what happens next...

I think you'll be absolutely fine. At 60% I wouldn't expect even a lager yeast to throw flavors at 58F, it probably even been encouraged to munch on a little diacetyl. Then with cooling it back down to 50F, it might get a little sleepy, in which case you can just rouse it again with a swirl and/or temperature bump, or, it'll continue as planned. Good lesson learned, but my guess is no harm no foul.

When you took your hydrometer reading did you taste it for diacetal? I've seen several references to lagers that did not produce detectable amounts of diacetal which then makes a diacetal rest unnecessary.

I think it will be fine. If you did a 90 minute boil your chances of diacetyl generation is less than a 60 min boil.

In the past I've check my carboy and smelled butter. Most people just let it set at room temp for a few more days. Me? I just add a small sprinkling of Nottingham to the surface and wait 3 days...ALL signs of diacetyl GONE. It works every time.

Back