Diacetyl In Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dammit! Diacetyl in my SMASH in the keg. Is it possible to get rid of it by pulling the keg out of the keezer for a week or two so it can warm up?

I tried doing that once and it didn't help at all. I have heard of others doing it and they claim that it fixed it up. Once guy told me to krausen it, but I never got everything together to do it.

Dammit! Diacetyl in my SMASH in the keg. Is it possible to get rid of it by pulling the keg out of the keezer for a week or two so it can warm up?

Maybe... what yeast did you use? What type of beer? Krausening will definitely fix it and is super easy. Is the keg already carbonated?

A forced diacetyl rest is also incredibly easy and will eliminate this from happening in the future.

Maybe... what yeast did you use? What type of beer? Krausening will definitely fix it and is super easy. Is the keg already carbonated?

A forced diacetyl rest is also incredibly easy and will eliminate this from happening in the future.
Yes, It is carbonated in the keg. I used US-05.

How clean are your keg lines?
That can also be a source
I clean them every brew, so I don't think that's it. I think it may be that I kegged it too early. It was at 1.014, and I probably should have waited a bit and took another reading after a few days. May not have reached terminal gravity.

I clean them every brew, so I don't think that's it. I think it may be that I kegged it too early. It was at 1.014, and I probably should have waited a bit and took another reading after a few days. May not have reached terminal gravity.

I think you're right, but I was just throwing out dirty lines as a possibility. I had just read this article this morning: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-common-homebrew-flavors-fix-pt-ii/
I had a beer that seemed to develop diacetyl over time, and my lines hadn't been cleaned in a while.

Back