Diacetyl In Keg

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dammit! Diacetyl in my SMASH in the keg. Is it possible to get rid of it by pulling the keg out of the keezer for a week or two so it can warm up?

stoby

Reaction score
I tried doing that once and it didn't help at all. I have heard of others doing it and they claim that it fixed it up. Once guy told me to krausen it, but I never got everything together to do it.

couchsending

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dammit! Diacetyl in my SMASH in the keg. Is it possible to get rid of it by pulling the keg out of the keezer for a week or two so it can warm up?
Maybe... what yeast did you use? What type of beer? Krausening will definitely fix it and is super easy. Is the keg already carbonated?

A forced diacetyl rest is also incredibly easy and will eliminate this from happening in the future.

OP
jlinz

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe... what yeast did you use? What type of beer? Krausening will definitely fix it and is super easy. Is the keg already carbonated?

A forced diacetyl rest is also incredibly easy and will eliminate this from happening in the future.
Yes, It is carbonated in the keg. I used US-05.

OP
jlinz

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How clean are your keg lines?
That can also be a source
I clean them every brew, so I don't think that's it. I think it may be that I kegged it too early. It was at 1.014, and I probably should have waited a bit and took another reading after a few days. May not have reached terminal gravity.

singybrue

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I clean them every brew, so I don't think that's it. I think it may be that I kegged it too early. It was at 1.014, and I probably should have waited a bit and took another reading after a few days. May not have reached terminal gravity.
I think you're right, but I was just throwing out dirty lines as a possibility. I had just read this article this morning: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-common-homebrew-flavors-fix-pt-ii/
I had a beer that seemed to develop diacetyl over time, and my lines hadn't been cleaned in a while.