Diacetyl for first lager...too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APBrewer

Reaction score
For our first attempt at a lager we brewed a version of Cali Common on 1/14. Due to multiple extenuating circumstances were unable to attend to it until last evening. Particulars as follows:

All grain, OG: 1.064, Pitched two vials of WPL810 (SF Lager) to 5.5 gallons of wort. Did not control for temperature but when spare moments allowed us to check in on it the thermometer in our fermenting cabinet consistently read between 56-59.

Transferred to secondary last night and moved carboy to a closet where we are getting temperatures in the low to mid 60's. Question is thus:

Gravity last night was 1.014. Are we too late in the process to gain full/any value from a diacetyl rest?

My partner has the other 5.5 gallons in a temp controlled environment (54) and we will be playing with it tomorrow. Will be curious to see what we get for a gravity there...

Any benefit? Unknown. Any harm? None. With that being said, at those fermentation temps, the yeast have likely consumed any diacetyl that were going to. But even at colder temps a lager yeast will consume diacetyl. If you are really anxious to start lagering, just lower your temps gradually.

Thanks for the replies. Not particularly anxious to start the lager process (seeing as we need to find free refrigeration space. I know, I know... talk to my partner). So the question of the diacetyl rest benefit was more one of curiosity as to effect.

As for tasting diacetyl, I tried it and the most I can say is it tastes like a green lager. I have not consumed enough lagers in recent years to be a good judge. Guess time will tell. I'll let you all know in 6-8 weeks I suppose...

APBrewer said:
For our first attempt at a lager we brewed a version of Cali Common on 1/14. Due to multiple extenuating circumstances were unable to attend to it until last evening. Particulars as follows:

All grain, OG: 1.064, Pitched two vials of WPL810 (SF Lager) to 5.5 gallons of wort. Did not control for temperature but when spare moments allowed us to check in on it the thermometer in our fermenting cabinet consistently read between 56-59.

Transferred to secondary last night and moved carboy to a closet where we are getting temperatures in the low to mid 60's. Question is thus:

Gravity last night was 1.014. Are we too late in the process to gain full/any value from a diacetyl rest?

My partner has the other 5.5 gallons in a temp controlled environment (54) and we will be playing with it tomorrow. Will be curious to see what we get for a gravity there...

If you taste/ smell "D" I would re-pitch it with another vial ( make a starter if you can) and secondary for an additional week then lager.
If you don't detect any Dyacetal then your good to go.

Amazing what a little reading will do for ya! After reading some descriptions I can say pretty confidently that I didn't get much in the way of diacetyl smell/flavor from the beer. As such I am going to let it sit on the Northern Brewer hops I added for a couple of days and then keg the motha up.

You say your secondary was low to mid 60's? That's the temp of a diacytl rest, so you actually did perform one, albeit in the secondary. But to echo what others have said, you probably won't ever have a diacytl problem with this yeast and brew schedule. What you WILL have is a Cali Common lager, which isn't going to be as 'clean' as traditional lagers, but will still be delicious (assuming you like Anchor Steam).

Latest posts

Back