DFH 90 Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
Dogfish Head 90

16.5# Pilsner malt
1.66# Amber malt
16 AAU Amarillo (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
8 AAU Simcoe (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
8 AAU Warrior (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
1 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Warrior (Dry Hop
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)

OG 1.088
FG 1.021
IBU - 90
SRM-13

Step mash. Mash in at 122 then raise to 149. Mash out at 170. Boil 105 minutes, start adding hops at 90 minutes, about .25 oz every 7.5 minutes.

Source, BYO Clone Recipe

This seems to be the de facto clone on the interweb but I am confused. When I plug the numbers into Beersmith it gives me an OG of 1.100. Does the recipe assume a 65% efficiency for some reason?

Edit: It'd be cool if someone could tell me what hop weights they used. Are the AAU numbers based on a 90min utilization or a reducing utilization due to the continuous addition?

I get 9.0% abv assuming 73% brewhouse efficiency on a 5.0 gallon batch so it is reasonable. Do keep in mind that the larger the grain bill the lower the efficiency all things being equal. I was just fooling around with the yield of the pilsner malt and small differences in the yield render large differences in OG so perhaps the originator of the recipe had some low yield pils malt. BeerSmith thinks the yield is much greater but it all depends on the malt analysis of the sack you use.

If I add only the grain bill to Beersmith for a 5G batch at 75% I get 1.100 and an ABV of 9.47% using 1099 yeast.

66% eff with 1.037 Pilsener gives 1.088.

I have to reduce the yield to 1.032 to get 1.088.

You need one of these bad boys

photo-3-1.jpg

When I did this last year, I added .25 oz of *each* Amarillo, Warrior and Simcoe every 7.5 minutes. It made for a long, long boil. I'm going to do it again, but probably wait until it's a bit warmer out.

Yeah I did the 60min last year from Yoop's recipe. I just sat with the pellet dish and threw a pellet in now and again watching the bowl and the clock. It turned out great. My hop question is what weight do people use. I can convert a recipe using AAUs but not if I'm supposed to note the continuous addition. What weights did you use people?

I don't have my log book with me but I can post up later. Since I use the zopinator, my weights may be slightly different but with the right tilt when it's on the tripod (I did the experiments to determine the proper rate for 60 and 90 minute boils last year) my weights were dead balls on...

Checked the book, recipe says 0.5 oz magnum, 0.5 oz simcoe and 0.5 oz Amarillo with an additional 0.5 oz Amarillo at flameout. Dryhop in 5 days with 1 oz Amarillo and 0.5 oz simcoe. 5 gallon batch of 60 min. Scale up by a factor of 0.5 for the 90...

You don't need some fancy device, just do a power hour. Sit by the kettle, fill 60 shot glasses with beer and 60 with hops. Every minute, it's "one for you, one for me...".

Question:

Why do the clone recipes for 90min use Pilsner malt, but the bottle says UK 2-row doesn't it?

If it is from BYO they assume 65% efficiency. Check the 2nd or 3rd page of every issue and it give their standards for recipe formulation.

This seems to be the de facto clone on the interweb but I am confused. When I plug the numbers into Beersmith it gives me an OG of 1.100. Does the recipe assume a 65% efficiency for some reason?

Edit: It'd be cool if someone could tell me what hop weights they used. Are the AAU numbers based on a 90min utilization or a reducing utilization due to the continuous addition?

I did this about 6 weeks ago (Its still bottle conditioning... Hard to wait). I used
2 oz amarillo
.5 oz simcoe
.5 oz warrior
1 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Warrior (Dry Hop)

I just combined the 3 oz for boiling in a bag. mixed them up well then added them to 13 small cups (It may have been more than 13) and added every 7.5 min. It turned out well I've had 3 of them so far and they are good but I didn't hit my FG and being my second brew I didn't know any better. so Mine is a little malty/sweet cause the FG is like 1.030 (og 1.09)

Mine was a extract also and I think I also used 2lb amber cause again I didn't know they were for color.

Back