Detrimental to Lager long term at 50F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
I can't find the answer after searching other threads.

Basically, I need to compromise with the wife over the use of our fridge space so I may have to take my lager out and move it to a 50F space for the next several months. Can there be any major detrimental effects lagering at this higher (but constant) temperature for an extended period?

It's a maibock which completed its D-rest, produced a steady SG for several days and has been lagering in the fridge for a few weeks already.

Thanks everyone.

It won't do any harm but at 50F it will take longer for the lagering to do its thing compared to 32-35F.

It won't do any harm but at 50F it will take longer for the lagering to do its thing compared to 32-35F.

Thanks BigEd, but do you mean the yeast will take longer to flocculate and drop or that the yeast will take longer to clean up any unwanted byproducts? If the latter, I would have thought a higher temp would accelerate the process.

Lagering at 32 degrees will get the yeast to settle faster. You plan on storing the beer for several months. You should be just fine.
Any byproducts should be cleaned up before the beer is bottled or kegged.

It's important to know that lagering also has an important non-yeast component. At lower temperatures, certain undesirable compounds become insoluble and drop out. This won't happen at 50F, but I am more than willing to guarantee that an extended cold-storage at 50F will still give you the results you want.

It's important to know that lagering also has an important non-yeast component. At lower temperatures, certain undesirable compounds become insoluble and drop out. This won't happen at 50F, but I am more than willing to guarantee that an extended cold-storage at 50F will still give you the results you want.

Music to my (and my wife's) ears!

Back