Designing a Fully-Automated 1 Gallon System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samall415

Reaction score
I've been brewing 5 gallon batches for a while now, but I'm interested in building a 1-gallon system. I want to be able to brew lots of different beers and try out lots of different recipes.

I've been doing some research, and there are systems out there such as Brewie or PicoBrew, but these systems aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I want to design a system that will clean up after itself by dumping spent grain and trub in the trash before running a clean-in-place cycle. This system would be able to brew batches of beer back-to-back without my supervision. The grain efficiency doesn't have to be spectacular, as long as it's consistent.

I'm not looking for feedback such as "Automated beer isn't real beer" or "1 gallon batches are inconsistent". While some enjoy the work they put into making the beer, I enjoy the work and engineering put into designing a system. Furthermore, a well-designed system would be able to produce consistent 1 gallon batches.

Has anyone seen a fully-automated, self-cleaning system? Some inspiration would be helpful. I'll update this thread with my progress as I build my own system.

I love automation - this is no small feat, especially the automatic dumping. but with time and $$ can be done. I think 1 gallon is a waste - go to at least 5. There are very few end-end-end automated systems here, but with the right controller you can do anything. Mine is almost fully automated, but has manual steps required that I haven't tackled yet like automatic hop additions. Good luck!

Have you checked iGulu on kickstarter?

Oh wow, this is actually a nice looking one. I was looking into designing my own system because the prices of the others were a bit high for me, but it looks like they're selling this one around $650. Will have to do more research on this system.

I love automation - this is no small feat, especially the automatic dumping. but with time and $$ can be done. I think 1 gallon is a waste - go to at least 5. There are very few end-end-end automated systems here, but with the right controller you can do anything. Mine is almost fully automated, but has manual steps required that I haven't tackled yet like automatic hop additions. Good luck!

I love automation, too. I've programed an automatic controller which works really good to control my Grainfather. I've also designed a hop dropper but not yet put it into real use.
However, iGulu is another level of automation. It's like a bread maker while Grainfather and the like are just automatic mixer and baking machine.

I joined the kickstarter project and had the price of 489. Considering that it can do fermentation temperature control, (although I am skeptical about it),
it is by far the most "complete" automation system.

I joined the kickstarter project and had the price of 489. Considering that it can do fermentation temperature control, (although I am skeptical about it),
it is by far the most "complete" automation system.

I looked at the Kickstarter and it looks very intriguing. I'm skeptical about a couple things though:

1. It looks like they're pushing back the rollout. From the comments, something about the price of materials increasing. I don't know what this means for the investors.

2. Can this system be configured to dispense the wort into an external fermenter? I want to be able to brew more beers.

I looked at the Kickstarter and it looks very intriguing. I'm skeptical about a couple things though:

1. It looks like they're pushing back the rollout. From the comments, something about the price of materials increasing. I don't know what this means for the investors.

2. Can this system be configured to dispense the wort into an external fermenter? I want to be able to brew more beers.

Re 2: Nope. That's why they sell 5-packs and 10-packs. :tank:

I believe the wort can be removed to another tank. This is clearly declared. However, nothing is for sure until it is delivered.

Hi between igulu, minibrew and picobrew pico. Witch one would you choose? Can one use ingredients from the local brew shop in any of them. I know it's a no go for the picobrew pico.

Hi between igulu, minibrew and picobrew pico. Witch one would you choose? Can one use ingredients from the local brew shop in any of them. I know it's a no go for the picobrew pico.

It looks like the mini also uses ingredient packs.

Subjective.

Having a 5 gallon, any tier, any style, system is silly and expensive if all you want, per batch, is a gallon or two.

That is what makes it desirable for me. Raising a family and advancing my career leaves me with not as much extra time as I used to have. Being able to brew a small batch of a beer that I I'm unsure if I will like seems very desirable. Then if I enjoy the recipe I can move onto my larger system and brew a 5 to 10 gallon batch. I initially thought these were silly expensive until I started factoring what my time is worth I'm brewing those small batches. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the process but it takes a lot of time for small results on small batches.

One thing that I'm hopeful of is that all of these systems as a whole become cheaper. Picobrew has been an isolated leader so far on the fully automatic and and the addition of these other companies will increase competition and hopefully mean lower prices

That is what makes it desirable for me. Raising a family and advancing my career leaves me with not as much extra time as I used to have. Being able to brew a small batch of a beer that I I'm unsure if I will like seems very desirable. Then if I enjoy the recipe I can move onto my larger system and brew a 5 to 10 gallon batch. I initially thought these were silly expensive until I started factoring what my time is worth I'm brewing those small batches. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the process but it takes a lot of time for small results on small batches.

One thing that I'm hopeful of is that all of these systems as a whole become cheaper. Picobrew has been an isolated leader so far on the fully automatic and and the addition of these other companies will increase competition and hopefully mean lower prices

Being a dishwasher safe, small batch, any season, all weather, temp controlled, kitchen appliance is what appeals to me.

Exact what I am thinking. A small automatic trial system.

IMO, I don't think the price can go far less than 500, like 299. There should be a pump, heating element, filtering mechanism, hop adding, and optional cooling functions. I am not talking about the BOM cost but the complexity of the machine so the cost of integration and repairing, if the company survives. Something like 299 is too good to be true, which I believes to be true for at least 3 years. Unless they make money by other way, like selling brew "pack".

Latest posts

Back