Designer chromosomes for Brewers Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
I ran across this article. I'm not trying to read implications into it, or claim some evil thing is going to happen. I simply thought it might be interesting to some. I found it interesting.

Nothing evil in the right hands. A fully functional synthetic chromosome is incredible.

On to human trials...

I had to laugh when they said to control such modified organisms they could develop them to die outside of the lab perhaps unable to replicate without some Amino Acid that is not found in nature. I wanted to ask if anyone in the lab had read or seen Jurassic Park.

I think they just need to allow us to submit DNA of BCP judges, and develop yeast chromosomes that will guarantee good ratings. Or at least develop yeasts that can correct for my stupid brew day errors.

An idea, the perfect strain of yeast: you throw raw grain, dried hops and a few buckets of water into a container, whisper to the yeast what kind of beer you want pitch and in 24 hours dispense perfectly chilled and carbonated beer. Now that's a Super Bug!

giphy.gif

Back