Desiccant in starter - problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was making a starter for an IPA using DME. I keep my DME in the fridge with a couple packs of desiccants to help with moisture.

The desiccant packs are white and small, which makes them hard to see in the light DME. I tossed them into semi-boiling water with the DME. I was stirring the DME around, noticed them and I fished out two.

Do you think this will cause any issues with my starter? They weren't in there very long, and I figure with a longer boil, things will be ok.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I suggest you try to find out what type of desiccant you have. A quick Google search may clear up any concern.

This link, as well as others, cautions having any "INDICATING SILICA GEL: In the retail trade, the most commonly found form of silica gel is indicating silica gel which is small white crystals looking much like granulated sugar with small pink or blue colored crystals scattered throughout......"

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/...requently-asked-questions/types-of-desiccants

With DME so cheap, and not knowing if any of the silica beads split due to water absorption, why not start over with fresh DME?

QuceNoGnSmij7RQCWCyQOA.jpg
Well..mine are clearly labelled "do not eat" - however I suspect that more like the don't eat the actual little balls - perhaps for little kids . The rest is in Chinese, which i cant read.

According to your link, they are most likely silica.

A further google search confirms my above statement: Toxicity: Silica gel is chemically inert and is considered to be non-toxic. The concern with this substances it that it can be a choking hazard (this is why these packets often say 'DO NOT EAT' on them). From a government agency

So I guess no harm, not foul

I read that as well. I know at my house I have both types. The blue/pink are used in Eva-Dry Dehumidifiers. The silica gel packs are used in medication bottles.

I'm glad you found your answer.

Back