Denny's favorite yeast slow, now stuck. I don't know if I care!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HangLoose

Reaction score
This hop burst beer I made has been one thing after another. First I mashed too cool (148 - 152) because I messed up the code running my RIMS. I was aiming for a little less fermentable wort (154). Then I couldn't heat my fermenter - it was cold out and it's in a fridge in my shed (fixed both problems now btw) and had to ferment at like 60 measured at the center of the pail - colder then I like. I used 135mL of good slurry from week old Denny's favorite yeast which I find to be slow anyway. I was able to warm everything up after a few days to the mid 60's. I broke my hydrometer but after 2 and a half weeks the air lock had long since stopped and it tasted good. So I cold crashed it right in the primary bucket. Well I finally got a hydrometer and at 60* F its right at 1.020 the OG was 1.057 my estimated FG was 1.014 so I'm off by 6 points. To make a long story short. Should I try warming it back up to see it'll finish?! It doesn't taste too sweet. But I would like it to be a little lower.

avidhomebrewer said:
Yeah, warm it up and rouse it to get the yeast back in suspension.

+1. That strain has been a little slow for me a few times too, but it's worth the wait. The mouthfeel and maltiness you'll get from it are amazing. Just warm it up and leave it on the cake for a little more time.

Check your hydrometer to make sure that it is calibrated correctly. Put it in some tap water and see if it reads 1.000, or at least close to it.

+2 warm it up to say 68 and see what happens. I had one that I had to rack to the secondary to get it restarted.

You guys are right. Hopefully it will come down some more after a few weeks. Thanks for the advice.

So its been only a few days now at 67-68* and while I haven't bothered to take a hydro reading yet there is a noticeable improvement. This was a 10 gallon batch in two pails. One pail (the one with the thermowell, sitting above the other pail) tasted really bad like fusil the other day the bottom one was just not finished (sweet). Both were 1.020. Today the fusil alcohol taste (I guess that's what it is) is about half gone! And the other one is dryer, better. I'm glad I listened.

Back