Denny Favorite (wyeast 1450) yeast in New England IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorzs

Reaction score
Hi, there. Has anyone tried Denny Favorite yeast in NEIPA? Just goint to give it a try. I tried 1450 in some west coast ipas, and really appreciate body and mouthfeel this yeast provide (Im not a big fan of dry hoppy ipas). I have heard, that people start to use in this style, besides London III and Vermont. Advances in my opinion:
- not very floculant
- good mouthfeel (if even little sweet, it should go great with tropical hops (galaxy, citra, amarillo))

What you, guys, say?

I love it
It doth awesomesauce be
Good for many styles
I do have to give it some more time or help to be really really clear
I use it a lot.

I thought about it, but it took awhile to do it's work on a porter I did. I like 1318 because it's so damn fast. I can brew on Saturday and I'm at final gravity by monday. With NEIPA's, freshness means more hop flavor and aroma, so I'm kegging a week after brew day. I'm not sure I could do that with 1450.

Yea, London Ale III seems must have for NEipa. Also I agree, that 1450 is not a rocket, so need patiently wait for it to finish his job. But anyway I will try and post results later.

i tried it last year. it was drinkable, but not nearly as fruity as 1318, and dropped pretty clear pretty quick.

i tried it last year. it was drinkable, but not nearly as fruity as 1318, and dropped pretty clear pretty quick.
Thanks for sharing experience. So in your opinion, London III makes much better Neipa, than Denny could?

On paper 1450 seems like a perfect strain. I was going to use it myself my next NEIPA. I've used it before in various ales with great results. Clearly I did not remember the speed of this strain, so that may be the only drawback, but I also don't recall going over 2 weeks before kegging, which is basically the same time frame I use for NEIPAs. If you try it, please share your findings, as it will probably take a month or so before my next NEIPA is getting brewed with Denny's Favorite.

FWIW (not much) I really don't like 1318. It has a weird rubbery flavor that I pick up in everything I've made with it. I'm currently searching for a new strain to use in my NEIPA's. WY1272 (actually, another version of the same strain, but whatever) is what Bissell Brothers uses, so that's what I'm going to try next.

i'd highly recommend trying WLP095 as well. That's probably my favorite for NEIPA. To me, 1318 tastes better and better as the beer ages a bit, especially like 2 weeks after kegging. Not sure why.

To me, 1318 tastes better and better as the beer ages a bit, especially like 2 weeks after kegging. Not sure why
I have to agree with that. 2 weeks after kegging and the beer is much better, something that you may not want to wait for in an NEIPA.

I have to agree with that. 2 weeks after kegging and the beer is much better, something that you may not want to wait for in an NEIPA.

my 1318 NEIPAs have stood the test of time fairly well, but they do take longer to peak in flavor imho. could just be my process. i think maybe the actual yeast in suspension don't taste as good as some other strains perhaps? the WLP095 is good in that it is very reilable, hangs around awhile and tastes great right away. i don't get as much fruitiness out of it, but I haven't been very adventurous with it temperature-wise.

Thanks for sharing experience. So in your opinion, London III makes much better Neipa, than Denny could?
that's been my experience, but I only made 1 batch with the 1450 since I was using it for yooper stout. Other than that and the 1318, I have only tried WLP008 (cuz i had some), and wlp023 burton yeast.

1450 seems to really accentuate the malt and caramel, and not bring out as much juiciness. fwiw, I also stopped using any munich malt in my neipa for the same reason. might just be my personal preferences. it might be educational to try a few different yeasts. it certainly won't turn out awful with 1450. I drank it all up. but i haven't been tempted to go back to it, and I haven't been tempted to try anything different since I settled on the 1318.

regarding the comments above, not sure what folks are talking about 1318 taking longer to peak (in neipa). mine have been at their best immediately, and they seem to stay pretty good although the hops do gradually start fading. not sure if it makes a diff, but i followed neil fisher's recipe and advice (weldwerks juicy bits), so i ferment at 67 for 2 days, then up 1 degree per day to 73. dry hop on day 2 and whenever fermentation seems to be done (day 7-ish normally), then bottle/keg about day 14.

WLP095 is good in that it is very reilable, hangs around awhile and tastes great right away. i don't get as much fruitiness out of it, but I haven't been very adventurous with it temperature-wise.

Not all members of the Conan family are the same - WLP4000, the Yeast Bay version, is meant to be rather fruitier than WLP095, I've not compared them side by side though.

FWIW (not much) I really don't like 1318. It has a weird rubbery flavor that I pick up in everything I've made with it. I'm currently searching for a new strain to use in my NEIPA's. WY1272 (actually, another version of the same strain, but whatever) is what Bissell Brothers uses, so that's what I'm going to try next.

I had two attempts with 1318. In Neipa (actually got some grassiness from Centennial hops - really don't know why, other folks in my region (Latvia, Baltics) also reported they had grasiness issues with centennial hops, probably bad crop from supplier, other was english bitter, but that caught contamination, after 3 month in keg tastes now as good brett :). I do understand that in both cases it's not yeast issue, but not good memories, that's why want to try something more.

Which professional breweries are using wy1450? Just curious.

Latest posts

Back