Degasing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclark35

Reaction score
Is there a benefit to degassing wine after it has been racked beyond the first degassing.

I've heard that degassing three consecutive days after the second racking is good???

The point of degassing is to take CO2 out so the yeast can settle better (nothing help keeping it afloat). Someone I think Yooper said that she only splash racks her wine, and never degasses. Forced degassing speeds up the process of getting the CO2 out and clearifying.

If you suspect that you still have CO2 and want to speed clearification then doing it more than 1 time might help. Personally I've wished on some Red's that I had done it again because I ended up with sediment in the bottles and it was anoying to clean. But that didn't affect the quality of the wine.

That is good info, thanks!

I to wish some of my early cabs had been degassed better.

Is there a good cab kit out there you would recommend that produces a really good cab.

What I've made in the past is good but sometimes thinner than a good cab you might buy.

I think wine making magazine has reviews of the box kit wines (and those are mostly what I use). I haven't done a Cab - I prefer sweet wines. Take a look a there. I usually get there by going to their sister site *********** and clicking on the wine maker magazine link

Back