Definitive Washington DC visit thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the cigar city stout and the celestial garden (Austin I think) are both awesome.

Those were my favorite too. The Port City collab isn't the most exciting beer, buts it's a very well executed dunkel. The Perennial one is a letdown, really bland yeast character and the adjuncts don't add much either.

shankly whair in dc are you?

also I liked the saison thing

p.s. dc brau had, as of last thurs, all the collabs on tap still. celestial is amazing on tap. I have a crowler of it :)

I'm up in the People's Republic of Takoma. Walking distance to 3 Stars! For all the **** I give them, the new recipe for Two to the Dome is decent and the homebrew shop has good prices.

I'm polishing off the last of my Home bottles tonight, I need to make an Ocelot/Aslin run soon.

any SAVOR chatter in this thread/forum? anyone going on Saturday night?

trying to figure out if there is any good cheat sheets to identify the better breweries since so many are new this year....

The Wicked Weed/Parish/Melvin event at Meridian Pint was a fun time. Ghost in the Machine is damn good.

Probably won't hit anything else up, but there have been some decent ones so far this week.

Coming down to Dc this Sunday and was wondering about the best cocktail bars/restraunts in the aree. Primarily spending time around the national mall and Georgetown.

Here are some of my favorite cocktail bars in the city: Left Door, Columbia Room, the Gibson and Barmini. Barmini is a few blocks north of the mall on 9th street. The other three are further north - like a 10-20 minute Uber ride north. You'll need reservations for any of them except for Left Door. In Georgetown, check out Fiola Mare for cocktails and food.

Here are some of my favorite cocktail bars in the city: Left Door, Columbia Room, the Gibson and Barmini. Barmini is a few blocks north of the mall on 9th street. The other three are further north - like a 10-20 minute Uber ride north. You'll need reservations for any of them except for Left Door. In Georgetown, check out Fiola Mare for cocktails and food.
Ended up spending 6+ hours at the Gibson. Feel like ******* today but it was worth it.

anyone else already in line for aslin? :D
While I enjoy a lot of Aslin's beer, I don't see myself waiting in line for it much anymore. There's too much other good beer in the area now and just other things I'd rather spend my time doing.

Will be in town Sun-Wed,getting in around 5 so Aslin seems pretty much out of the question. I see the website says they close at 7, is that pretty strict? Anyone willing to go pick it up for me bro a couple crowlers?? Been dying to try some. I'll reciprocate with some Jackie O's barrel aged deliciousness and some Hoof cans for your troubles! Is this an unreasonable request ? Sounds like Aslin might be turning into Treehouse lite :/

Any tips on places to visit while I'm here? Staying in Crystal City, planning on the Space Reaper release event at Jack Rose, Churchkey, the Sovereign (gotta spend that per diem somehow). SwoldierBoiTellEm i know you're from the area, any local places near the airport for good food, beer, bourbon?

Aslin is closed Mondays through Wednesdays and, for now, only does crowler fills on Thursdays and Saturdays. Unfortunately, I work from home on Thursdays, otherwise I'd do a bro a solid since my office is about 15 minutes from Aslin.

Rye Barrel Aged Solar Abyss sounds hella gross but Jack Rose is cool and good. Churchkey may still have a couple Veil beers on tap (Master Shredder and Crucial Taunt) this weekend if you need to get yer fix of hype and IPAs.

Rustico Alexandria is about two miles from Crystal City/National Airport. You could cab/Uber there in about 10 minutes. Rustico has great beer - it's run by the same folks as Churchkey/Bluejacket/etc. (NRG) - and the food is pretty solid.

If you're into beer and bourbon, you should check out Smoke and Barrel. It's about a 5 minute walk up 18th Street from Jack Rose so you have no excuse not to hit it. The Partisan (another NRG spot) should be fairly easy to get to from Crystal City via metro (take the Yellow Line to Archives/Penn Quarter). They have a pretty nice whiskey and beer list if you wanna spend that per diem.

Last edited:
Any tips on places to visit while I'm here? Staying in Crystal City, planning on the Space Reaper release event at Jack Rose, Churchkey, the Sovereign (gotta spend that per diem somehow). SwoldierBoiTellEm i know you're from the area, any local places near the airport for good food, beer, bourbon?

Aslin crowler line is a couple hundred people deep hours before they open these days. If you can get out that far might as well go to Ocelot.

Go to Jack Rose for whisky, not beer.

What airport? DCA or IAD?

DCA. Just looked at my flight info and it looks like i'll be in at 4:20. Guessing it would be a dumb move to car2go or Uber from the airport to Aslin? Sounds like no crowlers, so that sucks. I am intrigued by this Ocelot brewery.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like these NRG dudes run **** in town. Definitely down to meet up with any Tbers while i'm around

Will be in town Sun-Wed,getting in around 5 so Aslin seems pretty much out of the question. I see the website says they close at 7, is that pretty strict? Anyone willing to go pick it up for me bro a couple crowlers?? Been dying to try some. I'll reciprocate with some Jackie O's barrel aged deliciousness and some Hoof cans for your troubles! Is this an unreasonable request ? Sounds like Aslin might be turning into Treehouse lite :/

Aslin is closed Mondays through Wednesdays and, for now, only does crowler fills on Thursdays and Saturdays. Unfortunately, I work from home on Thursdays, otherwise I'd do a bro a solid since my office is about 15 minutes from Aslin.

Rye Barrel Aged Solar Abyss sounds hella gross but Jack Rose is cool and good. Churchkey may still have a couple Veil beers on tap (Master Shredder and Crucial Taunt) this weekend if you need to get yer fix of hype and IPAs.

Rustico Alexandria is about two miles from Crystal City/National Airport. You could cab/Uber there in about 10 minutes. Rustico has great beer - it's run by the same folks as Churchkey/Bluejacket/etc. (NRG) - and the food is pretty solid.

If you're into beer and bourbon, you should check out Smoke and Barrel. It's about a 5 minute walk up 18th Street from Jack Rose so you have no excuse not to hit it. The Partisan (another NRG spot) should be fairly easy to get to from Crystal City via metro (take the Yellow Line to Archives/Penn Quarter). They have a pretty nice whiskey and beer list if you wanna spent that per diem.
Was going to say Rustico as well. If you go to Smoke and Barrel, you may as well go down the block to Black Squirrel. I think the downstairs bar is where they have the better stuff? My advice may be out of date, so I trust the current locals to correct me if Black Squirrel has fallen off.

Definitely recommend a trip to the Right Proper Brewpub, which looks to be right near a Metro stop, so it should be easy for you to get to. Meridian Pint usually has solid options and events, but from what I recall, they're a bit of a hike from the Metro. Pizzeria Paradiso (multiple locations) also had a small but good taplist when I went.

DCA. Just looked at my flight info and it looks like i'll be in at 4:20. Guessing it would be a dumb move to car2go or Uber from the airport to Aslin?
Dumb and expensive. Probably not less than a $40-50 Uber ride.

Ocelot is even farther out from Crystal City, but you should be able to find their beers on tap at a few places in DC and NOVA. They are worth seeking out, IMO. I've heard good things about their latest DIPA, Buddhist Prodigy.

Was going to say Rustico as well. If you go to Smoke and Barrel, you may as well go down the block to Black Squirrel. I think the downstairs bar is where they have the better stuff? My advice may be out of date, so I trust the current locals to correct me if Black Squirrel has fallen off.

Definitely recommend a trip to the Right Proper Brewpub, which looks to be right near a Metro stop, so it should be easy for you to get to. Meridian Pint usually has solid options and events, but from what I recall, they're a bit of a hike from the Metro. Pizzeria Paradiso (multiple locations) also had a small but good taplist when I went.
The Black Squirrel is fine and usually has a couple of interesting things on tap, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there. If you're already in Adams Morgan though, sure, check it out. At the very least, you'll be closer to cramming your face full of delicious falafel and frites next door at Amsterdam Falafel.

Right Proper is great and I should have mentioned it. It's right around the corner from the Shaw Metro (Yellow Line). Meridian Pint is one of my favorite places to drink in the city, but it's farther up the Yellow Line from Right Proper. It's not a bad walk to Meridiant Pint from the Columbia Heights Metro though, like 8-10 minutes max.

In DC yesterday/today for a conference, staying at the Renaissance on 9th, about 1 mile from churchkey. Love churchkey (hit it last night), but is there anything else reasonably close that i should check out? Didn't get a chance to read this thread before heading down here... any feedback is greatly appreciated.

In DC yesterday/today for a conference, staying at the Renaissance on 9th, about 1 mile from churchkey. Love churchkey (hit it last night), but is there anything else reasonably close that i should check out? Didn't get a chance to read this thread before heading down here... any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Right Proper Brewpub shouldn't be too far.

Right Proper Brewpub shouldn't be too far.
About a mile walk from Churchkey. Well worth the walk, usually.

pjs234 - Consider hitting The Sovereign. Same owners as Churchkey (NRG) but more skewed toward Belgian beers.

Brookland Pint, Meridian Pint and Smoke & Barrel are all great spots for American craft. Jace keeps the taplists well stocked.

Jack Roses, if you are in the mood for whiskey. I really like that spot. They had a nice beer selection too.

Back