Definitive Washington DC visit thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming from Austin, TX. Headed to DC area (Ashburn mostly) for the holidays. I will have some time to tour and try some places.

Bar/Pubs ideas:
From this thread, Churchkey (Hardywood & Tired Hands on tap!), Right Proper, DC Brau seem like good ideas. Is Blue Jacket worth a try? The pictures of it are impressive.

Bottle shop ideas:
MacGruders seems nice.

Beers: what are some local beers I have to try besides OTWOA?

Any bottle shops/pubs/bars near Ashburn that I should consider?

How do you guys recommend getting around from Ashburn to DC? Any mass transit options?
Aside from what you already mentioned:
  • Bars - Meridian Pint/Brookland Pint/Smoke and Barrel, Pizza Paradiso, Jack Rose (especially if you like bourbon). Bluejacket hasn't lived up to expectations, but it's getting better. If you're choosing between it and say, Right Proper, go to Right Proper instead.
  • Bottleshops - Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits, Connecticut Ave Wine & Liquor, Rodman's, Whole Foods P Street.
OTWOA sucks, but maybe you'll like it? Other local stuff worth trying: Right Proper's Diamonds, Fur Coat, Champagne (that's one beer), Corn Rigs and Barley Rigs, Range Life; Ocelot's IPAs (they rotate constantly), Union Double Duckpin DIPA and Old Pro Gose; Mad Fox's Orange Whip.

You'll need to drive from Ashburn to DC. It's far. For public transportation, I guess you could take a cab/Uber from Ashburn to Dulles, then the 5A bus from Dulles to L'Enfant Plaza. I've never taken the 5A, so I can't vouch for its reliability.

Mr. Sexington - glad to see you popping up more over here... I finally had this about a month ago and found it to be average at best. Maltier than I like my IPAs nowadays.

Yea for a guy who hates OTWOA, why do you like any mad fox beers?

Take the metro in from wiehele avenue. Go up to meridian pint and walk back down. Either west through admo for black squirrel/jack rose/smoke and barrel, or east for right proper/church key/whole foods p st. Stop at Florida avenue grill for some crispy pancakes cooked in a pool of butter.

Double duckpin is the best hoppy beer in the area for sure but don't know if it gets down to DC besides on draft.

I will rent a vehicle, so how is parking?

How was Black Friday for you guys?

Did all the Hardywood BGBS, Xmas, KCM come and go quickly?

I will rent a vehicle, so how is parking?

How was Black Friday for you guys?

Did all the Hardywood BGBS, Xmas, KCM come and go quickly?
Northern Virginia saw a bunch of GBS and it's variants. I don't really care for the base beer much, so I didn't hunt around. Kentucky Christmas and some Apple Brandy barreled beer release this weekend at Hardywood in Richmond.

I worked Black Friday because **** chasing beer.

Northern Virginia saw a bunch of GBS and it's variants. I don't really care for the base beer much, so I didn't hunt around. Kentucky Christmas and some Apple Brandy barreled beer release this weekend at Hardywood in Richmond.

I worked Black Friday because **** chasing beer.

I know the feeling. Because you have so many people to compete with, I am sure you would have to line up pretty early to get variants.

hey guys. i'm moving to DC with enough black tuesday for everyone ITT to drink one, among other things. will be living in logan circle within sneezing distance from churchkey. ISO drinking buddies, beer tastings, etc.
Hiiiiiiiiii! Let's listen to TSwift and get crunk.

hey guys. i'm moving to DC with enough black tuesday for everyone ITT to drink one, among other things. will be living in logan circle within sneezing distance from churchkey. ISO drinking buddies, beer tastings, etc.
I like big dumb Bruery beers. Let's be beer friends.

Is HopSlam on tap anywhere in DC? I haven't been able to find bottles. I'd love to drink it once before I fly out.

If you ever make it out to Ocelot brewing I'll pour you a beer.

If you have a chance to try it, the new Triple IPA from Ocelot is pretty outstanding. Great aroma and dangerously drinkable.
I might make a special trip out there this Sunday and fill a growler or two. Jace is a cool guy and happy this collab turned out well.

If you ever make it out to Ocelot brewing I'll pour you a beer.
You work at Ocelot now!? I think I'm stopping in this weekend. I'll be the dude with a 10 month old baby filling growlers.

Edit: Yes, I've already trained my girl on how to properly fill growlers. That weird?

Last edited:
If you have a chance to try it, the new Triple IPA from Ocelot is pretty outstanding. Great aroma and dangerously drinkable.
Came here to post this. Ocelot, please make more Talking Backwards and maybe put it in bottles or cans so I can drink it at home in my basement like a neckbearded goon rather than walking/biking the 1.5 miles to Meridian Pint to get it on tap.

Back