Definitive Washington DC visit thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Shteiven , I decided to head to Dc brau last second. Solar abyss is legit. Maybe not as good as OTWOA, but neck and neck. Dem mosaic hops, hnnnggggh

Sorry Shteiven , I decided to head to Dc brau last second. Solar abyss is legit. Maybe not as good as OTWOA, but neck and neck. Dem mosaic hops, hnnnggggh

Mmm so tasty! And no worries, wish I checked TB while I was there! Just left like 40 min ago!

Thanks for putting this thread together!

I'll be in town briefly, from the evening of 3/6 (Thursday) to the afternoon of 3/8 (Saturday). I might be able to do a little bit of Gopickitupformebro with some NYC beers, so let me know if you're interested!

Not sure of my schedule, but I'm hoping to do a little shopping while in town. I read through the suggestions on which shops to hit; any beers you recommend looking out for? I honestly was not familiar with too many of the breweries that SeekABrew listed as being available-in-DC-but-not-in-NYC. Also, will I be able to find OTWOA at bottle shops, or does that require a trip to the brewery or what?

Thanks!

Thanks for putting this thread together!

I'll be in town briefly, from the evening of 3/6 (Thursday) to the afternoon of 3/8 (Saturday). I might be able to do a little bit of Gopickitupformebro with some NYC beers, so let me know if you're interested!

Not sure of my schedule, but I'm hoping to do a little shopping while in town. I read through the suggestions on which shops to hit; any beers you recommend looking out for? I honestly was not familiar with too many of the breweries that SeekABrew listed as being available-in-DC-but-not-in-NYC. Also, will I be able to find OTWOA at bottle shops, or does that require a trip to the brewery or what?

Thanks!

This time of year I think you'd only find OTWOA at the brewery or on tap maybe. I'm partial to the Bier Barron for a $10 Burger and Draft happy hour all week. not familliar with the bottle shops cuz asspensive.

Going to Birch & Barley (so pretty much Churchkey, beer wise) Thursday night. I am absolutely terrified by this bottle list. I'm going to drop so much coin.

Going to Birch & Barley (so pretty much Churchkey, beer wise) Thursday night. I am absolutely terrified by this bottle list. I'm going to drop so much coin.
What time are you getting there tonight? Althought unlikely, I could potentially make it down there to share a few beers.

What time are you getting there tonight? Althought unlikely, I could potentially make it down there to share a few beers.

Sorry, didn't see this post until just now when I got back to hotel. Was a semi-romantic dinner with GF though so probably for the best. Killed a couple loons and somehow managed to resist buying the $60 Oxbow BA FPA bottle... AMAZING food also.

Was a semi-romantic dinner with GF though so probably for the best.

So you're saying threesomes aren't romantic? ;) Once I re-read and realized you said Birch and Barley, I had a feeling it wasn't a talkbeer meet & greet in DC. Glad you two had a good time and avoided the 60$ ba farm house pale ale. The price on that ****ing bottle is ridiculous.

Hey all just stumbled on this website... I'm guessing this is the anti-BA message board? Regardless I wanted to post about the bi-monthly (has been so far) bottle share I host at my apartment building... info in the next post. We had over 20 people at the last one and I'm hoping it actually warms up to host on the rooftop. I usually have people from BA and a Beer FB group I'm a part of attend + friends/etc.

So you're saying threesomes aren't romantic? ;) Once I re-read and realized you said Birch and Barley, I had a feeling it wasn't a talkbeer meet & greet in DC. Glad you two had a good time and avoided the 60$ ba farm house pale ale. The price on that ****ing bottle is ridiculous.

It is. Same thing on Stillbow ($55 bomber? You shitting me?). I thought it was weird because generally their bottle prices didn't seem awful, just the Oxbow bottles... I just love BA FPA so much I almost did it anyway..

We are just a beer loving community that believes in having fun and not taking **** too seriously. To say we are the anti-BA message board is selling us short.
Right on man, seems like there's quite the community here as well. I posted a thread about the share, hopefully some of you can make it and the usual crowd can meet you for the first time.

Last edited:
Right on man, seems like there's quite the community here as well. I posted a thread about the share, hopefully some of you can make it and the usual crowd can meet you for the first time.
I can attest that Josh's Clarendon shares are pretty epic. Last time we opened a '46 Ballentine

Had a great time in DC. Just wanted to mention for any of you who might not have checked it out - I was absolutely, 100% floored by Right Proper's Biere de Mars. The other beer I had there was just ok, and it sounds like their beer has generally been fine but nothing special from what I've heard, but the Biere de Mars was really, really, REALLY fantastic. Galaxy, wheat, oats, and lots of brett....

I'll be in town next month. Landing early evening on the 10th and depart the morning of the 14th. I plan on spending some quality time at ChurchKey and definitely want to do a little damange to that bottle list (and my wallet). If anyone wants to meet up for a drink let me know. I'll probably also bring some Alpine or something to butter up the bartenders around town.

I do hope that Right Proper Biere de Mars is still available around that time. Sounds delicious.

I really need to get over to Right Proper. It looks like they are doing some great things.

Just got the pre-sale (AHA members) email for SAVOR. Anyone planning on going? Weekend of May 9th and 10th. 135$ a ticket. Looks like tickets went up 15$ from 2012 prices, but the cost to attend a salon went down (30$ extra in 2012, now 20$ - pretty sure this is spot on...).

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/

Beer list is not yet available as far as I can tell.

I've got reservations at Partisan lined up for early April when friends come in to visit. Dying to dig into that Pigs Head. Definitely some good beers on that list too.

Churchkey is one of the best beer bars ever, not just in DC. I lived about a 6 min walk from it when I lived in DC and wasn't til I moved out to the West Coast that I realized how fantastic it was. DC is a great beer city.
Totally agree with this ^ (except the WC stuff)

HopCat-GR tis ok, Porter Bar is aight, but Chuchkey is an alltimer for me.

Looks like Right Proper just got in a counterpressure growler filler which makes me very happy.

1977121_529842613791296_1532951468_n.jpg

Has anyone been to Blue Jacket recently? Wondering how things are progressing their since they got rid of their 'old' headbrewer.

Just dredged this thread up from page 8. Not a whole lot of DC action going on. That sucks.

Anyway... is anyone going to the beer/bourbon/cigar event at Jack Rose next weekend (9/20)? My wife bought me a ticket for our anniversary so I will be there (likely by myself). Would be cool to meet up with some other locals. Hit me up if you are going.

Just dredged this thread up from page 8. Not a whole lot of DC action going on. That sucks.

Anyway... is anyone going to the beer/bourbon/cigar event at Jack Rose next weekend (9/20)? My wife bought me a ticket for our anniversary so I will be there (likely by myself). Would be cool to meet up with some other locals. Hit me up if you are going.

I'll be in DC for Red Bull Battlegrounds that weekend.

So who's hitting up Churchkey for Zwanze? I expect to be there. Not sure what time I'll be lining up though.

Back