Definition of "Dry Hop 3 Days"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
Making an all-grain recipe that has the hop additions listed and says "dry hop 3 days"

Does that mean add it three days after I put it in the Fermentor, or for the last three days before I bottle?

Any advice would be great!

HW.

Three days after fermentation and "clean up" has stopped. I'd wait 3 weeks, remove the air lock, make a funnel out of a sheet of paper and pour the pellets in and then replace the air lock. When removing the air lock place it in a glass w/sanitizer to keep it steral.

I would interpret that as for 3 days before bottling.
Do the recipe give any indication of fermentation/cinditioning length?

I take it to mean the following: Once fermentation is done add the hops to the FV. 3 days later package the beer (Keg or Bottle.)

How do people filter out the hops? Assuming most just throw the hops in the carboy (leaf or pellet) and then rack using siphon? Is it necessary to filter or do the hops just settle to the bottom eventually?

Looking to dry-hop my first Amber Ale soon.

They don't settle out very well. Some continue to float, while some sink. Pellet hops tend to disintegrate and some float and some sink.

By simply starting the siphoning in the middle of the beer, and lowering the racking cane as the level of the beer falls, it's easy to siphon the beer out of there into the bottling bucket. It's important to keep the 'black tip' piece on the racking cane as it helps capture big pieces of debris that you don't want in the bottling bucket. It may take some practice, but once you become proficient with racking it's not at all difficult to do.

Hops won't settle out in 3 days. Either use a hop bag or I use a stainless steel filter in the spigot of my bottling bucket to keep the hops out of my bottles. Works if you bottle but you might need to improvise if you keg.
Add your hop pellets 3 days before you bottle or keg.

Latest posts

Back