Deep Six Brewery - back in action!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the ideas. Cooling the tower is the next project to tackle. Yeah.. it is 4" tubing. Wonder how quiet the duct fan would be? I was thinking some real high quality Pabst (german) fans that are super quiet but move a lot of air..

My beer guy just called.. first up on tap is a keg of Sierra's Celebration Ale!

basically silent, and it runs on ac so it is easy to wire in to your temperature controller.

Logistically, how do you connect those lines? Is there some sort of access panel in the back to afix the taps or do you need a really long arm and wrench to tighten them down on the back? Shanks thread in?

Logistically, how do you connect those lines? Is there some sort of access panel in the back to afix the taps or do you need a really long arm and wrench to tighten them down on the back? Shanks thread in?

There is a panel in the bottom of the tower that unscrews for servicing.. :mug:

Wow! You sir, are my hero. I was actually upset when I reached the last page of progress thus far. That is amazing!

John,

Just ran through all the posts. Awesome! The other day I ran through your walk-in cooler thread and decided to build one in my polebarn after the holidays. What's the status on your walk-in?

OK, so I finally had time to mount the beer tower today. The shanks, faucets, and beer line won't be here until next week though. Here are some photos..

First, I took my 'nibbler' and cut out the entire plastic lid except for were it holds the seal in place and got rid of the insulation:
12-11-10A.jpg

Then I cut all the holes and reinforced top with a bunch of screws through the metal. We used a very strong epoxy to hold the countertop on, but just in case..
12-11-10B.jpg

Then I cut out a piece of heavy insulated board and place it in the lid.
12-11-10C.jpg

I used some expanding foam to seal the inside of the drip tray around the tower:
12-11-10D.jpg

Here she is mounted. There is still a piece of countertop not installed behind the kegerator yet as I have to get it cut down by an inch or so..
12-11-10E.jpg

And here it is against the bar when the top is opened. Clears it perfectly by about a 1/4"..
12-11-10F.jpg

I'm really glad things are coming together for you. It all looks great and I really hope you enjoy it as much as I would.
Thanks for sharing and keep those pictures coming, it all looks fantastic.

I've made some progress this AM on the kegerator.. got all the faucets mounted and the beer lines run. Hope to actually pour beer out of it by next Tuesday after the last box of supplies shows up!

12-18-10A.jpg

Looks amazing, but even more impressive would be to see all 12 taps working. I sometimes wonder how I keep 4 going.

____

They will all be commercial beer at first.. and will eventually be more like 50/50 homebrew and commercial. All 12 lines have quick disconnects in them to easy switch between sanke and soda kegs..

Beer should be flowing as of this Thursday.. I hope. I finally have the tap list finalized. Like I said earlier, for now it is all commercial. What do you think?

1) Dogfish Head 90 min IIPA
2) Bells Two Hearted Ale
3) Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
4) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
5) Sweetwater IPA
6) Brooklyn Lager
7) Bass
8) Guinness
9) Strongbow Cider
10) Shocktop
11) Yuengling Light
12) Bud Light

Beer should be flowing as of this Thursday.. I hope. I finally have the tap list finalized. Like I said earlier, for now it is all commercial. What do you think?

2) Bells Two Hearted Ale
3) Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
4) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
5) Sweetwater IPA
6) Brooklyn Lager
7) Bass
8) Guinness
9) Strongbow Cider
10) Shocktop
11) Yuengling Light
12) Bud Light

I'd swap out tap #10 with Leffe's (InBev owns this as well) if you can locate it, and maybe replace one of the four IPA's with Fuller's ESB.

Sweetwater 420 will replace the Celebration Ale once it runs out..

My buddy owns the Bud distributor here in town and is the main reason for 10, 11, & 12.. but I might limit it to Yuengling Light for the longrun. Bud Light can go in the beer fridge.

And then someday, I'll finally get back into brewing and replace at least 4 of the taps with my own.

**Edit**

I totally forgot about the keg of Dale's Pale Ale I got.. looks like my initial taps will be:

2) Bells Two Hearted Ale
3) Sweetwater IPA
4) Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (then Sweetwater 420)
5) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
6) Dale's Pale Ale
7) Brooklyn Lager
8) Bass
9) Strongbow Cider
10) Guinness
11) Yuengling Light
12) Bud Light

Well I just spent 45 minutes reading this whole thread. Wow, what a process!

I thought I had a big project just converting space in my basement for taps and a bar. Great work, and I'm glad to see it was done with care. It looks like you spent a lot of time planning this out, I'm sure your homebrew is of the same quality!

Nice Work!

I just ran through the entire thread backwards and it looked like you were deconstructing a beautiful bar...

I take it you're getting quarter or pony kegs of the brews listed above? Can't imagine that many half barrels in that chest freezer...

I just bought a keg of Old Rasputin. It's so much better on tap (nitro) than the bottle. It comes in 5g kegs. I wish Bell's was available in my area. Some Apfelwine could replace the strongbow down the line. I always have some of that fermenting, as it's so easy, and the ladies love it.

I would like to start doing Apfelwine again.. but the main reason for the Strongbow is to make 'Snakebites' - think Black and Tan with Cider. I don't know if Apfelwine would mix the same?

I just bought a keg of Old Rasputin. It's so much better on tap (nitro) than the bottle.
I went to a beer dinner a while back at the San Diego Zoo. North Coast was the featured brewery. At the end of the night they served a triple chocolate cake paired with Old Rasputin. OMG, its was great.

OK, back on track.. I got all the CO2 distribution wrapped up yesterday. For now, to cut a little costs, there is only a single pressure.

Cut costs? Are you kidding? Everything you have done during this build has been first class. Cut costs??? I don't think so. All you need is one regulator.

Well, I got taps 2, 3 ,4, & 10 up and running today.. was quite nice to have a pint after all this hard work. I'd take more photos but the bar is still a wreck. I have two more kegs coming in on Monday- Dale's Pale Ale and Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I am also picking up a keg of Yuengling's Bock tomorrow. After talking with the distributor today, he thinks he can get Yuengling's Porter- so I might decide to just do an American Black and Tan with Yuengling's Lager and Porter instead of Bass and Guinness..

ha! that's a lot of regions represented there - east coast Yuengling and Dale's from Colorado - impressed. Drinking one myself at the moment, Dale's that is. Pick up a 4-pack of the Gubna IIPA from the same brewery (Oskar Blues) if you havn't had it yet.

Back