Deep Six Brewery - back in action!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are having a Super Bowl party here tomorrow evening.. I got all 12 taps flowing with a bartender on hand to allow sampling of most of the beers except for 3 that were bought for general consumption. It was slightly thrown together, but overall, I'm just happy to see them all up and running!

02-05-11A.jpg

From right to left:
1) Dogfish Head 90 IIPA
2) Bell's Two Hearted Ale
3) Dale's Pale Ale
4) Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale
5) Sweetwater 420
6) Bass Pale Ale
7) Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale
8) Yuengling Porter
9) Shocktop *
10) Mich Ultra *
11) Brooklyn Lager
12) Yuengling Lager *

* for general consumption, the others are sample only

I think I'd just stand there taking sips out of each one, unable to commit to a single beer until my head exploded from indecision.

Outstanding job Brother. My wife has hinted at me doing something along these lines because she doesn't want out garage cluttered with my brewing stuff. Maybe in a few years we actually will!:rockin:

It's a beautiful bar/brewpub and I hope you enjoy it!:mug:

I used to live in Valdosta for a few years (stationed at Moody) I can see that Sunday beer is never a problem for you.

It all came together perfectly! Hope your Super Bowl party was a hit! The only thing better than my Packers winning the game would be to have all those taps in my basement!

The Super Bowl party was a blast and, thankfully, smaller than last year. There were probably around 50 people here this year including one HomeBrewTalk'er - IFP. We erected a 16'x9' screen with a projector in the back yard.. had a roaring fire in the firepit.. and I had a bartender in the pub.

Here is a photo of our main course:
pig1.jpg

I went home to Valdosta for 2 weeks and was able to visit Deep Six several times, including the superbowl party. Neener neener!!:rockin:

Awesome place, awesome host, awesome party. My dad had to drag me back home kicking and screaming, and I'm 39 years old this month!!!:eek:

I went home to Valdosta for 2 weeks and was able to visit Deep Six several times, including the superbowl party. Neener neener!!:rockin:

Awesome place, awesome host, awesome party. My dad had to drag me back home kicking and screaming, and I'm 39 years old this month!!!:eek:

Well if it isn't ol' IFP! Yeah, little did IFP know that Deep Six is literally across the street from his parent's house.. And yes, his father really did come drag his ass home. heh

We are having a Super Bowl party here tomorrow evening.. I got all 12 taps flowing with a bartender on hand to allow sampling of most of the beers except for 3 that were bought for general consumption. It was slightly thrown together, but overall, I'm just happy to see them all up and running!

02-05-11A.jpg

Today at work I started following the walk-in beer closet, which led me to the flood, then the house rebuild, then the brewpub, then the bar. And I couldn't leave it without commenting, so I had to register.

If you decide the tap handles are too large, then you can make an imitation of the Dale's tap handle. Basically have cans of the beer as the handle (although you'd probably need to fill them with something to make them rigid enough to use). They would be the same shape, but the labels and coloring would be different enough to make it unique. Any beer that doesn't get canned can get a homemade label that would be similar to the bottle label.

Howdy.. I thought I'd quicky update the thread with an update. The bar is going great.. we hang out in it more than I ever thought, making it already feel like it has paid for itself.

I am starting to plan on a new walk-in cooler that will be build off the far side of the building. And since I technically can't have two outbuildings, it will likely be built under some sort of lean-to which is connected to the side of the building.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get the power company to move a guy-wire? You can see it in this photo:

2010-02-24_17_01_06.jpg

I currently have about 8' between the guy-wire and the bar but am hoping to have the angle shifted by several feet so I can reclaim at least 12' for the lean-to.

Guy wires have to be installed opposite of the direction the line is running AFAIK. They might be able to change it to 2 guy wires at 45 degrees either side of the existing one, but that sounds like big $$$ to me.

Well, around town, you see metal rods sticking horizontal out of power poles which apparently shortens the angle and distance of the guy-wire. I tried calling Georgia Power but couldn't get through to anyone that could help.. probably don't know how to ask it right..

John Beere said:
Well, around town, you see metal rods sticking horizontal out of power poles which apparently shortens the angle and distance of the guy-wire. I tried calling Georgia Power but couldn't get through to anyone that could help.. probably don't know how to ask it right..

Cut the sucker. Someone will be out to speak to you promptly.

Don't you already have two outbuildings?

No.. just this one. I might just chance it and get a cheap metal building you see out at Home Depot that is around 8x10 to convert into a cooler. It could sit right next to the building and wouldn't be visible from the road. I don't really know how strict the city is as this wouldn't require any type of building permit?

When you call, ask for the Engineering Department....That should get you to the right person @ the power company..

What you want them to do is install what is commonly called a sidewalk guy. It's a couple of special fittings and a piece of rigid pipe.

Since the pole is just a secondary service lift pole (No Primary/No transformer) you should be able to get them to shorten the anchor lead to 6' to 8' from the pole with a sidewalk guy.

Since it's not a new service that is adding to their bottom line, it will not be a priority and it will not be cheap.

Thanks for this info.. I've finally reached the right person and they should be coming out this week to take a look at shortening it. I'm to a point that I don't care (that much) about cost.. That is the only good spot and it is completely blocked by those guy wires!

Is that the end of a power line, or just the service pole? If it's the actual power line, you'll be inside the Public Utility Easement anyway, and you're not supposed to build anything there.

I don't know my terms here, but it is just the secondary service pole (?). There wasn't any codes about building near it in the first place.. and that guy wire is just where they put it years ago. I've got the power company coming out to price shortening it with a "sidewalk guy" here in the next few days. I have 6' between it and the building now.. am looking to at least have between 10'~11' so I can build my new walkin cooler there.

Ah ya then they should have no issues modifying it, you could even have a new service pole installed elsewhere and remove that one if you've got the $$$ for it.

I dunno if anyone is still following this thread, but I'm excited about my next step.. as soon as I can get this damn guy wire moved, I'm building a new walk-in cooler. I've decided on a 8'x10' vinyl building for it powered by a 12k BTU A/C. Out of everything I lost in the flood, my walk-in cooler is probably the most missed.. can't wait. Should have some good updates coming in the next few weeks.

I dunno if anyone is still following this thread, but I'm excited about my next step.. as soon as I can get this damn guy wire moved, I'm building a new walk-in cooler. I've decided on a 8'x10' vinyl building for it powered by a 12k BTU A/C. Out of everything I lost in the flood, my walk-in cooler is probably the most missed.. can't wait. Should have some good updates coming in the next few weeks.

I am interested in any and every picture of a W-I-C build. Vinyl being chosen so it will float like a raft in the next flood? :D

Any other details on your plans for insulation this time around? I have toyed with the idea of using SIP panels for the walls of mine, but have not gotten past "curious planning stage"

Back