Decoction starting temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABVIBUSRM

Reaction score
What is a good starting temp for decoction mash? i hear 122 on this side 130's on the other side..where do you start? im doing the 1qt thick mash to 1 lb of grain ratio.

Really depends on what types of rests you're doing. If you're doing ferulic acid rest, protein rest, beta rest, you get the point. I've done them with ferulic acid rest, protein rest, then alpha rest. Came out quite well, double decoction. Only done it twice though.

Rev.

Really depends on what types of rests you're doing. If you're doing ferulic acid rest, protein rest, beta rest, you get the point.

Rev.

just want to get a protein, beta,alpha, mash out..but i heard some where doing a protein rest in the 120's can have a negative effect when the malts is well modified

just want to get a protein, beta,alpha, mash out..but i heard some where doing a protein rest in the 120's can have a negative effect when the malts is well modified

Yes, it definitely can.

When I do a protein rest (not all that often), I do a very quick one at 131-133. Then I go to the first saccrification rest, and then the second saccrification rest. I pull very thick decoctions for this and then for mash out, I pull mostly liquid.

Isn't it going to be hard to do all these decoctions with 1 quart/pound? Why such a thick mash?

not too well versed in decoction..heard somethings but wanted to clear the air and hear what you more experienced decoction mashers have to say

Yes, it definitely can.

When I do a protein rest (not all that often), I do a very quick one at 131-133. Then I go to the first saccrification rest, and then the second saccrification rest. I pull very thick decoctions for this and then for mash out, I pull mostly liquid.

Isn't it going to be hard to do all these decoctions with 1 quart/pound? Why such a thick mash?

honestly i watched the brewing tv with mike dawson and he said he uses a 1qt/ 1lb ratio so i pretty much just followed what he said

I try to avoid extending my protein rest for much longer than about 15 minutes when using well-modified grain. I find that a short protein rest can help give extra body and head when using lots of continental pilsner malt. I think a long protein rest (like you'd get if you were doing a full decoction boil to step up from your protein rest to your sacch rest) risks breaking down too many medium-sized proteins into small-sized proteins, which can negatively impact body and head retention.

I typically use a hybrid mash, which uses a short protein rest like the Hochkurz, and two sacch rests with a decoction in between:

I typically mash at 2 quarts of water per pound of grain, doughing in at 136 F to reach a protein rest temp of 130 F. I hold this for 10 minutes, then direct heat up to 145 F. Once I reach 145 F, I hold for 20 minutes. I then pull a thick decoction (typically the entire grist with enough liquid to give an oatmeal-like consistency), raise and rest the decoction to 160 F for 15 minutes, and then boil the decoction for 20 minutes (you could go longer if you were brewing a dunkel or bock). I then use the decoction to step the main mash up from 145 F to 160 F, and hold the rest at 160 F for one hour. I don't do a mashout (I basically do this whole mash as BIAB, and add enough water to reach my pre-boil volume after the 160 F rest, then pull and squeeze the bag), but you could follow up with a second decoction to mashout if you want.

Honestly, I've done protein rests dozens of times and never seen a negative effect ever (15-20 minutes rest). Actually, I've only ever noticed a difference, for the better, on rare occasion so for now I've really not been bothering. Ferulic acid rest makes more sense for a few reasons. One is to bring out more of the clove like flavor present in hefeweizen's, though you didn't say what type of beer you're decocting, second would be to lower mash pH. Unfortunately, when I did mine I didn't yet have a pH meter but do now just recently though haven't done a ferulic rest to test.

Rev.

boston lager... according to bru'n water i do not need acid..assuming cause of the caramel 60 malt..the est ph is 5.4

I try to avoid extending my protein rest for much longer than about 15 minutes when using well-modified grain. I find that a short protein rest can help give extra body and head when using lots of continental pilsner malt. I think a long protein rest (like you'd get if you were doing a full decoction boil to step up from your protein rest to your sacch rest) risks breaking down too many medium-sized proteins into small-sized proteins, which can negatively impact body and head retention.

I typically use a hybrid mash, which uses a short protein rest like the Hochkurz, and two sacch rests with a decoction in between:

I typically mash at 2 quarts of water per pound of grain, doughing in at 136 F to reach a protein rest temp of 130 F. I hold this for 10 minutes, then direct heat up to 145 F. Once I reach 145 F, I hold for 20 minutes. I then pull a thick decoction (typically the entire grist with enough liquid to give an oatmeal-like consistency), raise and rest the decoction to 160 F for 15 minutes, and then boil the decoction for 20 minutes (you could go longer if you were brewing a dunkel or bock). I then use the decoction to step the main mash up from 145 F to 160 F, and hold the rest at 160 F for one hour. I don't do a mashout (I basically do this whole mash as BIAB, and add enough water to reach my pre-boil volume after the 160 F rest, then pull and squeeze the bag), but you could follow up with a second decoction to mashout if you want.

yeah thats solid advice..thanks alot

Back