Decoction Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTownBrewer

Reaction score
Just did a protein rest at 130 F for 20 min. Took out 30% grain & boiled on stove for 10 min. Added it back for target temp of 154 F. Only rose to 135 F.

What do I do now to get temp up to 154 F for my starch conversion? Already added 1 gallon of 195 F water and only got it to 140 F. Almost to the point where I can't add more water.

Just did a protein rest at 130 F for 20 min. Took out 30% grain & boiled on stove for 10 min. Added it back for target temp of 154 F. Only rose to 135 F.

What do I do now to get temp up to 154 F for my starch conversion? Already added 1 gallon of 195 F water and only got it to 140 F. Almost to the point where I can't add more water.

You didn't take enough out and you probably didn't boil it long enough, both common mistakes for first time decoctors. Take some more out and boil it again, and/or do a boiling water infusion addition to get the mash temp up.

The book number on decoction pulls is one third or 33.3%. Bear in mind that that is based on the total weight of the mash not the amount of the grist bill. Even with that you may fall short so pulling 35-40% may work better for many. Even though you may have technically reached the boiling point, boiling for only ten minutes likely did not give the entire mass of the pull enough time to reach 212F/100C. The liquid was hot enough but the solids still needed to absorb more heat.

I pull more like half, then bring it to 150 and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then I boil it. I think you just don't pull enough out, and you probably could have gotten more liquid out as well.

Thanks for the help.

I tried pulling more grain & boiling it, but I think I came up short again. Prob too worried about burning the grain.

I ended up boiling more water & added about half of what I boiled to get the temp up to 152, which is close enough for me at this point.

Took a refractometer reading & I'm close to my target OG. May not do a sparge depending on my first runnings volume.

Back