Decide what i brew next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next Brew

• Russian River

• Stone

• Dogfish Head

• Bells

• Lagunitas

• Harpoon

• Rogue

Results are only viewable after voting.

akimbo78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i have recipes for the following:

1. Pliny the Elder
2. Arrogant Bastard
3.Dogfish Head 90 Minute
4. Bell's Two Hearted
5. Lagunitas IPA
6. Harpoon IPA
7. Rogue Imperial I2PA

2H has more sweetness and caramel flavors IMO. I love that beer! Decidedly different than the run of the mill american IPAs I've had, which were drier and more bitter.

They are all good beers though, so you can't go wrong in any case. I know there is a good 2H thread with recipe on this site.

I say Two Hearted. After brewing that clone I think I've used that same grainbill for just about every IPA after, maybe just a slight modification here and there.

Always love the Stone products. They have my vote! An arrogant bastard or even a double bastard would be amazing!

Bells FTW! If you're gonna go that route, get your yeast harvested from one of their lower gravity brews. The clone is pretty identical to the original.

cant say i have had any of there beers. available all over the country? Dont think i have ever even seen it before

They don't distribute out to CA yet AFAIK. But, they have been upgrading their systems, so it might happen in the future.

Got some Bells yeast almost ready to harvest. Only 2 more Best Brown Ale bottles to drink and a few gallons of starter wort to mash and can. Maybe i can do both of those things tonight...

Hey OP, I'm also going to brew whatever they pick for you. Can you post a recipe for whatever gets decided? (I do all grain but could always convert if extract/pm.)

Although, you should add to your list of possibilities:
SN Celebration (my last brew, ready to dry hop)
Victory Hop Devil (a bit sweeter than most IPA's, but very nice)

Hey OP, I'm also going to brew whatever they pick for you. Can you post a recipe for whatever gets decided? (I do all grain but could always convert if extract/pm.)

Although, you should add to your list of possibilities:
SN Celebration (my last brew, ready to dry hop)
Victory Hop Devil (a bit sweeter than most IPA's, but very nice)

i certainly can. victory is a local brew, and something i can get fresh whenever i want. i thought about the sn celebration as well, but didn't give it much of a chance against pliny, dfh, and bell's. i assumed they would be in the lead with arrogant bastard, but that hasn't proved to be correct.

I chose Bell's because I love the beer and used to brew there back in the day... That being said, the poll choice that I wanted to see, but was glaring in it's absence, A BEER OF YOUR OWN DESIGN... but that's just me :D

I chose Bell's because I love the beer and used to brew there back in the day... That being said, the poll choice that I wanted to see, but was glaring in it's absence, A BEER OF YOUR OWN DESIGN... but that's just me :D

as a noob (4 months and 10 batches) i still think that i am in the refining of process stage. having a goal, in this case a clone, makes it easier to pinpoint some mistakes that i may have made. when i think that i've worked all of the kinks out of my process and feel that i know the ingredients better i will start designing my own beers.

as a noob (4 months and 10 batches) i still think that i am in the refining of process stage. having a goal, in this case a clone, makes it easier to pinpoint some mistakes that i may have made. when i think that i've worked all of the kinks out of my process and feel that i know the ingredients better i will start designing my own beers.

+1. This has been primarily my technique after re-starting brewing after a very, very long hiatus. 13 batches since late July 2011.

Plus, there is a load of craft beers I haven't tried, so I am always looking for new suggestions on things to brew that are known to be good. For instance, I brewed Mirror Pond Ale because of a HBT suggestion, which I can't get locally (upstate NY). I found it to be a very nice brew! So I think doing clones is a great idea.

The other technique (which I've done once so far) is to do SMaSH batches, to get an idea of what a single malt/single hop produces. (Well, in reality it is a Single Malt/Single Hop/Single Yeast/Single Process (temp, etc.)).

i am also finiding it easier to get friends to try a beer if it has a name they recognize. having 5 gallons of a SMaSH beer would appeal to me, but i wouldn't get the same field response. i also don't trust my palate 100% yet with my own beers. it helps to get other peoples feedback.

Bells Recipe

9.33 lbs 2 row pale
2 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs Crystal 10L
.33 lbs Carapils 6L
.5 oz Centennial 60 min
.5 oz Centennial 45 min
.5 oz Centennial 30 min
.5 oz Centennial 15 min
.33 oz Centennial 0 min
.33 oz Centennial Dry Hop
Wyeast 1272 or White Labs WLP051 if you can't culture their yeast.
mash at 152 for 60 min
75 min boil
ferment at 70
dry hop for 3 days

Bells Recipe

9.33 lbs 2 row pale
2 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs Crystal 10L
.33 lbs Carapils 6L
.5 oz Centennial 60 min
.5 oz Centennial 45 min
.5 oz Centennial 30 min
.5 oz Centennial 15 min
.33 oz Centennial 0 min
.33 oz Centennial Dry Hop
Wyeast 1272 or White Labs WLP051 if you can't culture their yeast.
mash at 152 for 60 min
75 min boil
ferment at 70
dry hop for 3 days

I might just try this on my next batch. Any idea of what the expected SG is on this so that I can adjust for my efficiency?
Looks good, but I think I used 20L in the recipe I made. Color was spot on IIRC.

Since I have crystal 15, I will use that...split the difference.

Can't get stone ipa here. I tried it at a beer festival in September and had to get back in line 3 more times. Soooo good!

Ive got a 2 hearted and Arrogant bastard fermenting right now.I would brew the lagunitas, i dont think ive had their regular ipa but had many of their others.I dont think stone ipa fits in this category, i would consider it in a lower bracket- thats just me,i dont think ive had that rogue ipa you mentiond either.

thanks for voting everyone. i placed my order with my LHBS. hopefully they have have everything in stock. i'll post some picks from brew day on sunday. cheers.

akimbo78 said:
OG per the recipe 1.058

Thanks. My brew day on this got delayed, now looks like next Monday at best. On the good news front, my SN Celebration is only a couple days away from (forced) carbing, so it should be ready for a super bowl party. :)

here are some pics from brew day

2012-01-29_15-05-56_965.jpg

2012-01-29_15-32-25_153.jpg

2012-01-29_15-32-30_420.jpg

2012-01-29_16-15-59_526.jpg

2012-01-29_18-16-10_540.jpg

did a side by side last night. color and smell were similar. flavor, not so much. i'm still not treating my water except to remove clorine/chloramine. after tasting this beer there is a similar taste to my english pale. i'm guessing it is something in my water. my wife said she liked mine better!

2012-03-01_18-58-43_400.jpg

Which yeast did you use? I think cultured Bells is the only way to go here. It's really a fantastic yeast for IPA's (and a lot of other beers as well).

Back