Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am interested in making the deception cream Stout, however My LHBS also has a "house recipe" I am not sure how they compare to each other.
What is the projected ABV and IBU of the deception as written?

I have to imagine that at .5# of lactose it is not nearly as sweet or hoppy as the below recipe.
Otherwise they are similar the amount of Malt extract and grain for partial.
Any thoughts?

LHBS Sweat Cream Stout
12 oz Chocolate Malt,
8 oz Crystal 60,
8 oz Torrified Wheat,
4 oz Roasted Barley,
4 oz Black Malt

3.3# Amber LME,
3.3# Dark LME,
1# Lactose

1 oz Northern Brewer hop pellets (9 AAU) (60 min)
½ oz Kent Goldings pellets (2.5 AAU) (15 min).
½ tsp Irish moss (15 min).
½ oz Kent Goldings (5 min)
22 IBU
5.5 % A.B.V.

Thanks for any info!

OG/FG and IBUs are in the first post: Roughly 5% ABV and 27 IBUs. Many people use 1 lb of lactose I believe. I brewed it both ways and find a half pound just fine for the base recipe. I bump it to 1 lb for my coffee version. The version you posted has darker extract and a little more dark specialty grains, so the extra half pound may be to balance that. I would recommend this recipe as is, it remains one of my favorites, but I have only done all grain, not extract.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1450-PC - Denny's Favorite 50
Yeast Starter: Yes - 1 Liter
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.020
IBU: 27
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 36
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30 Days @ 67 F
Tasting Notes: Silky chocolate and coffee backed by smooth caramel.

My first batch, I made this as a coconut stout / bourbon vanilla bean coconut stout split batch.

I found the 1 lb. of lactose to be a bit much.

The next time, I use about .5 lbs. I also use English roasted barley, which is a little darker/roastier.

Finally, on this most recent batch, I made the aforementioned adjustments and added 1 lb. of rolled oats.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450737592.649108.jpg
Overall, this a great base recipe to use to stand on it's own or as a base for more adventurous endeavors!

So after about 6 weeks in the primary I'm going to bottle this today.
A few weeks ago I thought it should be finished with an OG of 1.058 and FG of 1.015 but it tasted like the smell of burning rubber. Tried it again today and it's at 1.013 but tastes a lot more pleasant.
7 points lower than it should be so something went wrong somewhere.
Hopefully it won't be too thin.
I'm going to shoot for 2.5 volumes with the priming sugar to try add a bit more body.
Probably wont turn out as nice as it should have but I'm not throwing it away.
I'll report back in about a month.

I kegged mine last night (brewed on 11/22 so it fermented in primary for a month and week).

OG was 1.062 and FG was 1.022, so by my math, that's 5.24%. Even flat it was delicious... I'm going to force carb it over the next couple of days, so hopefully we can enjoy it on New Years Eve! (Having a few friends over) Then I'll do my best to lay off it for a bit to let it mature more. I'll try it again after a month, and again (assuming I can stop myself from drinking it down!) a month after that.

OG/FG:
38bqlb.jpg
6sDN3E.jpg

Trying to get every last precious drop!
S3gm69.jpg
kbVntC.jpg
mVVknN.jpg

I clearly need to start a second batch of this brewing asap!

I kegged mine last night (brewed on 11/22 so it fermented in primary for a month and week).

OG was 1.062 and FG was 1.022, so by my math, that's 5.24%. Even flat it was delicious... I'm going to force carb it over the next couple of days, so hopefully we can enjoy it on New Years Eve! (Having a few friends over) Then I'll do my best to lay off it for a bit to let it mature more. I'll try it again after a month, and again (assuming I can stop myself from drinking it down!) a month after that.

OG/FG:
38bqlb.jpg
6sDN3E.jpg

Trying to get every last precious drop!
S3gm69.jpg
kbVntC.jpg
mVVknN.jpg

I clearly need to start a second batch of this brewing asap!

You won't be disappointed.....

Just popped one of mine from 6+ months ago and it's fantastic. Smooth, creamy, coffee/chocolate and a nice roasty residual sweetness.

My wife and I became fans of milk stouts after traveling to South Africa and trying SAB Castle Milk stout. I just tried my batch that's just over 1 month old and we both agree that it's even better than the beer we had in South Africa. I considered adding cold brewed coffee, but I'm glad I decided against it because it's not needed.

What would be the effect of bumping the German Mangnum hop from .75 oz to 1 Oz?

Anyone ever try this?

My wife and I became fans of milk stouts after traveling to South Africa and trying SAB Castle Milk stout. I just tried my batch that's just over 1 month old and we both agree that it's even better than the beer we had in South Africa. I considered adding cold brewed coffee, but I'm glad I decided against it because it's not needed.

I also enjoy the Castle Milk Stout as an alternative when I can't get anything that I want. They even released a chocolate version earlier this year, but chocolate stout is not to my taste.

I also enjoy the Castle Milk Stout as an alternative when I can't get anything that I want. They even released a chocolate version earlier this year, but chocolate stout is not to my taste.

I was in Joburg in October and didn't get to try the Chocolate Stout. I thoroughly enjoyed the SAB World of Beer tour and tasting though. They give you a lot of drinks for a $10 tour!

What an amazing city and country. I'd love to return soon :mug:

Just placed an order with my LHBS . Will pick this up on way home and brew this weekend.
Decided to brew as is, with no tweaks.(I think)

According to my calculations it should be about 5.1%.

Since the DME comes in 1# bags I am going to be left with 1/2# of wheat & Amber.
Or do I just add them there by usi 7# of DME and bump up ABV a bit to est 6.2?

{update}
Picked up 1 oz of "magnum" LHBS not sure which kind
5# Amber DME
2# wheat DME

Might just use it all and add a little more lactose.
Can't hurt right?

The batch came out... AMAZING. OMG. I need to brew another batch this weekend, for sure, because this keg is gonna go fast!

aoPwHq.jpg

Happy New Year, all!

The batch came out... AMAZING. OMG. I need to brew another batch this weekend, for sure, because this keg is gonna go fast!

aoPwHq.jpg

Happy New Year, all!

That looks great. Did you follow the recipe on pg 1 as written?
I ask because I entered the ingredients into Brewersfreind and got an SRM of 35.49 and it is showing brown not black.

I could just be over thinking this.
Going to have a beer!

Just placed an order with my LHBS . Will pick this up on way home and brew this weekend.
Decided to brew as is, with no tweaks.(I think)

According to my calculations it should be about 5.1%.

Since the DME comes in 1# bags I am going to be left with 1/2# of wheat & Amber.
Or do I just add them there by usi 7# of DME and bump up ABV a bit to est 6.2?

{update}
Picked up 1 oz of "magnum" LHBS not sure which kind
5# Amber DME
2# wheat DME

Might just use it all and add a little more lactose.
Can't hurt right?

I have an awesome recipe for a small-batch IPA I brew using the leftover wheat and Amber DME and the caramel 60L. The fermented but uncarbed wort smells amazing, and looks like the picture below. I
would be happy to share!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451680566.063380.jpg

I have an awesome recipe for a small-batch IPA I brew using the leftover wheat and Amber DME and the caramel 60L. The fermented but uncarbed wort smells amazing, and looks like the picture below. I
would be happy to share!
View attachment 326857

How do you have left over caramel 60L? Buy in bulk?
Always love a new recipe.

Original recipe only calls for .75 lbs, and I buy the 1 lb. bag. The recipe I used calls for .25 of of 60L.

Ok I missed the other recipe. How much does it differ? Which page is it on?
I bought all the ingredients posted on the 1st page and intended to brew that.
Is there an up dated, better version?

4.50 lb Amber Dry Extract - 53.76 %
1.5 lb Wheat Dry Extract (60% Wheat) - 16.37 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L - 8.96 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 8.96 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) - 5.97 %
0.50 lb Lactose 5.97 % (Boil 10 min)
0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min)

Ok I missed the other recipe. How much does it differ? Which page is it on?
I bought all the ingredients posted on the 1st page and intended to brew that.
Is there an up dated, better version?

4.50 lb Amber Dry Extract - 53.76 %
1.5 lb Wheat Dry Extract (60% Wheat) - 16.37 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L - 8.96 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 8.96 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) - 5.97 %
0.50 lb Lactose 5.97 % (Boil 10 min)
0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min)

2 gallon Citrus IPA batch:

1.3 lb Wheat DME
1.3 lb Amber DME
.25 lb Caramel 60L
.25 lb Roasted Barley
Zest of one orange

Hops:
.4 oz Simcoe @ 60
.4 oz. Simcoe @ 30
.15 oz Amarillo @ 15
.35 oz Amarillo @ 5
.5 Amarillo @ Flameout

.5 Whirlflock tab @ 10

Safale US-05 American Ale Yeast (1/2-3/4 packet)

1.5 Gallon boil, top off to two just prior to pitching yeast

Brewing this today. Only tweeks will be:
5# Amber DME
2# wheat DME
1 oz magnum hop
S-04 yeast

Ended up adding 10 oz of lactose
SG was 1.072
Which is way over my target gravity!
No blow off tube,
Just my bucket and an S airlock filled with rum!

I was in Joburg in October and didn't get to try the Chocolate Stout. I thoroughly enjoyed the SAB World of Beer tour and tasting though. They give you a lot of drinks for a $10 tour!

What an amazing city and country. I'd love to return soon :mug:

Nice to hear you had a good experience. It is also very cheap to visit SA with the exchange rate! :)

Temp is 70 in a 63F basement
Nonstop bubbling in airlock.
This thing is gurgling like a beast!

Planning on doing a 10 gallon batch of this stout. Leaving 5 gallons as per op recipe. Other half is getting coconut sugar, vanilla, and hazelnuts

That looks great. Did you follow the recipe on pg 1 as written?
I ask because I entered the ingredients into Brewersfreind and got an SRM of 35.49 and it is showing brown not black.

I could just be over thinking this.
Going to have a beer!

I've been meaning to post my full recipe.

I followed the instructions on the first page to the letter, but some ingredients were swapped a smidge because my LHBS did not carry the exact same ones listed, so things were juggled a bit to match it as closely as possible:

Extract Recipe (from post #1) vs. What I Actually Used:

• 4.50 lb Amber Dry Extract - 53.76 % - YES
  • 1.5 lb Wheat Dry Extract (60% Wheat) - 16.37 % - YES
  • 0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L - 8.96 % - YES (Caramunich Belgian Crystal 60L)
  • 0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 8.96 % - subbed: 50% - Weyermann German Carafa 400 + 50% - Thomas Fawcett & Sons British Pale Chocolate 225
  • 0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) - 5.97 % - subbed: Scottish Roast Barley 550 (the only roasted barley they had, LHBS said would not affect the taste)
  • 0.50 lb Lactose 5.97 % (Boil 10 min) - YES

• 0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU - YES

• 1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min) - YES
  • 1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min) - YES (White Labs)

Airlock has slowed
Temp still 70F to 68F

Never seen the top of bucket so bowed and bent upward

I love this recipe, but I've found that drinking it makes my wife and I very gassy haha. My question is - If I added half the amount of lactose to the recipe, could I use a different ingredient to get the same body/sweetness?

I love this recipe, but I've found that drinking it makes my wife and I very gassy haha. My question is - If I added half the amount of lactose to the recipe, could I use a different ingredient to get the same body/sweetness?

I don't see why not as long as its a non fermentable sugar. Like splenda or sweet n low. Getting ready to brew the all grain batch today going with 7# pale malt

here's the recipe i am doing tomorrow. Had to scale the hops back to 0.57 oz's to get 27 ibu's hops where at 14.03% Alpha. Also decided to add in 0.50 lbs flaked oats

Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 38.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.0 IBUs