Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing this (extract) right now and I'm beyond excited!! I brewed a Milk Stout already with a kit from Brewers Best, but this recipe sounds 10 times better!! I'll be adding 1lb of Lactose though, as I really want my beer to be sweet and creamy (hope adding more lactose will do this! lol)

I'll be sure to post updates for anyone still following this thread!

One thing I've found to get sweeter or a creamier feel is to change your mash temp and carbonation levels. Also, adding more crystal malt helps too, IMO better than using lactose.

The lactose is straight unfermentable sugar, so your FG will be higher. This will make it sweeter, but I prefer the taste of using some crystal 40 or 60 which also raise your FG. As far as getting the good creamy mouthfeel, pay attention to your carbonation level. If your kegging its easier to do, I only bottle so its tougher. I have found for a milk/cream stout I like carbing to 1.6.

I would like to give this recipe a try next weekend. My question is concerning the lactose. I am only brewing a 1 gallon batch so really don't want to buy a pound of lactose.
I've read where a sub for lactose is artificial sweeteners, which I do not want to use.
Is there something else I can use that will give the same affect as lactose?
If lactose is really recommended, how long will unused lactose last and how to store it?

Store it extremely dry in an airtight container. It's cheap so just save the unused portion. I wouldn't sub. Good luck.

Picked up the lactose and roasted barely for this. I have everything else I need. I'll give this a go next weekend.

Mine has been in bottles for some time now, but if I recall correctly mine had a film like this also and it's tastes great

Any problem with racking to secondary after two weeks? I'm making 3 gallons a coconut version, one gallon vanilla bean, and one gallon the base stout.

As long as fermentation isn't complete. You still want a bit of fermentation occurring to consume the oxygen pickup from transfer.

Yes, but I still wouldn't wait until fermentation was complete.
You could always rack onto a bit of corn sugar, as it will restart the fermentation process and scrub some of the oxygen pickup if you were really worried. I, as well as many others here, rarely secondary except in situations such as yours or for bulk aging, but there's plenty of threads on that. Rule I've always used for secondaries is once the krausen falls, it's time to rack. Gets the beer off the trub and much of the yeast.

Yeah, the krausen was going to be my trigger as well, but may just go ahead and do it tomorrow to be sure I can get what I'm going for. It's beginning to dissipate from original high point, so I'm going to strike while the iron is still hot.

Will do JWIN. I tasted the base stout and it seems on track. Not bad for a relatively green, uncarbed sample.

I made this about 4 days ago, and the krausen has finally fallen. Took a gravity reading, looking for an excuse to have a taste. Very sweet still. Gravity at 1021.

The gravity sample was a muddy medium brown color. Hopefully this will clear out and I'll have a nice black stout?

I used S-04 for this beer.... Can I still expect a good outcome, even though I didn't go with the recipes yeast? How should the FG differ with the different yeast? I think the recipes says FG 1018, will the S-04 finish sweeter or drier?
Thanks!

The color won't really change. As far as the yeast goes, there's more to your FG than just the strain being used.

Did you do extract or all grain? If all grain what was your mash temp? What temperature is it at right now? You may need to raise the temp a little and swirl the yeast to get them to chew through the remaining sugars.

I did it extract as per the recipe, the only difference is the yeast. Its at about 22 degrees celcius, and fermented at about 23. But I brewed it two days ago, so I'm sure the yeast are still working away! Fast ferment though, as it went from 1059 to 1021 in a little over 48 hours. There was a good 4 inches of foam on top. I just don't understand why the color would be brown, nowhere near the color of a stout.

The color won't really change. As far as the yeast goes, there's more to your FG than just the strain being used.

Did you do extract or all grain? If all grain what was your mash temp? What temperature is it at right now? You may need to raise the temp a little and swirl the yeast to get them to chew through the remaining sugars.

The dark color would come from the roasted barley and chocolate malt, do you know what SRM those were? Is it possible you used Pale Chocolate in place of the Chocolate malt?

Just my personal take, if you have the taste pretty much dead on I wouldn't worry about the color, stout/porters what's the real difference...dark brown/black who will really notice? I would look at the SRM closely on the specialty grains, make sure you steep them for 25-30 min to get full flavor/color out of them and see what happens next time.

It will be black as motor oil. It looks brown because all that yeast in suspension reflects the light. When you report back with your tasting notes in a few months, post a pict!

Should split that and scrape the "pods" out then cut into 1 inch pieces to extract more of the vanilla flavor.

What you have will work but you'll get more if you split, scrap, and cut up smaller

Soooo, bottled 2 gallons of this after a week on 20 oz. of toasted coconut, while racking the other three over the bourbon/vanilla bean tincture. Drank about 6oz. of green wort... Delicious. NCBeernut, this shizz is amazing.

Just bought all the stuff for the original AG recipe on the front, but with S-04 yeast. The guy at the LHBS asked wether it was pale chocolate or the european stuff and i just shrugged my shoulders. He gave me pale chocolate.

This will be my 3rd BIAB batch and my last batch I realized I had a bit of an efficiency issue, so this time i double crushed everything so I'm crossing my fingers for 75% eff!

The pale chocolate is different than chocolate malt that this recipe calls for. It shouldn't be a huge difference bit its different. For the most part the color is about half and you'll lose some intensity of the roast/chocolate flavors. Still should make a good beer!!

As for efficiency I hit 65%-68% consistently doing BIAB whether I'm doing 10lb of grain or 16lb. Consistency is more important than achieving high efficiency.

The pale chocolate is different than chocolate malt that this recipe calls for. It shouldn't be a huge difference bit its different. For the most part the color is about half and you'll lose some intensity of the roast/chocolate flavors. Still should make a good beer!!

As for efficiency I hit 65%-68% consistently doing BIAB whether I'm doing 10lb of grain or 16lb. Consistency is more important than achieving high efficiency.

Bummer about the pale chocolate, I haven't brewed yet, would it be worth it to pick up maybe 3-6 oz of the right stuff? Or should I just brew as is?

And for effieciency, I'm still learning so if I can establish 75% early on it will be helpful for me, as it seems most recipes are set for that. I may move towards a mash tun in the future

Up to you on whether to go for it or not. IMO I think you'll lose some of the roastiness, if it was me I would wait till I could get the right stuff. But, I know my taste and what I like your preference might be different.

All my grains were mixed together after milling at the LHBS. I just went with it. We'll see how it turns out. The wort was still black.

I think i ended up a couple points short on my OG. I'm finding that I only boil a half gallon an hour with my e-kettle, and it's causing me to come up short. I boiled closer to 90 min but was still high on my volume. I had to be somewhere so stuck it in the ice bath and will check the OG when I get back

After three years of home brewing I'm still fighting to figure out my boil off rate. Seems to be outside temp/humidity plays a big role in how much I boil off.

I think the beer will be fine. Like in said, you might end a little light on the roasty flavor but will still be good.

So my OG was 1.059, which is 1 point over my target! Stoked that double crushing my grains helped.

Alright guys see you in a month [emoji482]

Enjoy, I gave out 4 of these yesterday to old army buddy and she said she really enjoyed the one I added vanilla extract to and is going to chill the other three for a few days. (Bottled this somewhere around may, I believe)

Brewed this yesterday as my first brew on a whole new rig. Mash efficiency was great but my boil off was way less than I anticipated and ended up a good bit under gravity. Aw well. Hydrometer sample still made me excited for the roast and coffee taste.

Strike water is heating, should mash in soon. Only difference is M.O. instead of 2 row.

Hi All,

I want to brew a stout for the winter months so I think I'll give this a shot next weekend.

I brew all-grain but if I look at the OP the percentages for all-grain don't quite match up with the extract.
This is probably normal but I have no experience with extract vs all-grain.

I don't want to mess it up by using the wrong amount of pale malt.
Can someone please post their grain percentages so I know where to start from?

Thanks!

:tank:

Back