Decent Sawzall for a good price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like its already purchased...
But what is the intended use?
And what is the expected frequency of use?

I had a ryobi 18v cordless thats 15yrs old, just died this past December. Got it in part of a set. Biggest complaint was the battery, but Li-ion has changed it significantly. However, my use was 15-30 min every few months and moderate all-day use once every couple of years. My use for it is mostly demo or tree pruning.

For me and my use: replacement will likely be either another ryobi (because I have 3 batteries) or a corded one in the $50-60 range.

It really comes down to current and anticipated future needs. If you or Bob are planning any big projects, the heavy duty ones are priceless. However, if you're like me and don't plan on using it monthly, a value model will probably be sufficient.

He won't use it all that much- just when there are things in the yard or house to cut. I suspect it will be a low-used item but useful when it's needed.

Bob doesn't build things or do home repair in general, just routine maintenance and things around the house(s). We tend to accumulate houses, but that's another story.

He won't use it all that much- just when there are things in the yard or house to cut. I suspect it will be a low-used item but useful when it's needed.

Bob doesn't build things or do home repair in general, just routine maintenance and things around the house(s). We tend to accumulate houses, but that's another story.

Once he's got that reciprocating saw in his hands, he's gonna walk around looking for things to cut up. To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Many people who use these tools daily like Milwaukee the best. I have had a Ryobi reciprocating saw since about 1995 and have used other peoples Milwaukee Sawzalls since about the same time. The Ryobi is fine, but it's definitely not something you will love to use. Mine broke 10 years ago and I was able to weld the internal part that failed and continue using it, but Milwaukee Sawzalls are so much better. They are very smooth because they're counter balanced. This Ryobi will vibrate yourself to death. Milwaukee feels like quality and Ryobi feels like disposable consumer grade stuff because it is. I have not used my Ryobi since getting a Milwaukee. You really can't go wrong with them.

Check this place out for great deals.

https://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwau...kee-reconditioned-power-tools,default,sc.html

https://www.cpomilwaukee.com/factor...ing-saw-with-case/milr6536-81,default,pd.html

Well, you can forget the option of Harbor Freight's Hercules line of premium quality yet low priced tools. Apparently threats of lawsuits from Dewalt and Milwaukee have forced Harbor Freight to remove them from their shelves.

I have a Milwaukee Sawzall as well as several other Milwaukee tools that are still going strong after 20 years but I also have some newer Milwaukee tools that haven't lasted any time at all...

The Milwaukee brand was purchased by a company called Techtronics (aka TTi Group). TTi also owns the brands Homelite, Hoover, Dirt Devil, Ryobi, AEG (Ridgid), and more.

So you are very correct that the newer tools are not what they used to be (when they were developed and manufactured by their original company).

These days the design of your Ryobi, Milwaukee, or Ridgid tool may have all come out of TTi's central design office, and they may have all been manufactured in the same production facility.

techtronic.JPG

I learnt something new here -- use sawzall in yard?! Why have I never thought of that?!

Especially cordless. They're great for tight pruning jobs, limbs too small to warrant the chainsaw, and cleaning fence rows. I have an older Ryobi that was part of a set. The Ni-Cd batteries it came with were worthless for the reciprocating or circular saw, but with the newer one+ Li-ion batteries they're actually worth using now.

Well, you can forget the option of Harbor Freight's Hercules line of premium quality yet low priced tools. Apparently threats of lawsuits from Dewalt and Milwaukee have forced Harbor Freight to remove them from their shelves.

haha. I don't buy from harbor freight (anymore). Every time I took that train it derailed.

Last edited:
With respect to the battery, he appears to have zero understanding of Peukert's Law. As the rate of discharge increases the rated amp capacity of a battery decreases. He rapidly cooked the battery empty by shorting it across water and causing the water to boil thereby. He did not at all attempt to discharge at a rate commensurate with typical average drilling demand. It's little wonder that under such a discharge condition the battery had way less than its "rated for some nominal realistic rate of discharge" capacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert's_law

Last edited:
Especially cordless. They're great for tight pruning jobs, limbs too small to warrant the chainsaw, and cleaning fence rows. I have an older Ryobi that was part of a set. The Ni-Cd batteries it came with were worthless for the reciprocating or circular saw, but with the newer one+ Li-ion batteries they're actually worth using now.

I bought a corded one- but what blade(s) would you get for pruning the grapevines away from the fence? I want to get him some pruning blades as well.

I bought a corded one- but what blade(s) would you get for pruning the grapevines away from the fence? I want to get him some pruning blades as well.

Corded works well too, especially on bigger jobs. He'll just have an extension cord hanging to dodge.

Either of these would work, don't know what stores you have nearby. I would just look for large aggressive teeth, typically 5-10 TPI (teeth per inch).
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-3-Pack-9-in-6-TPI-Pruning-Saw-Blade/1000594975
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-...ng-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-DS0905FG/203464862

Low tooth-per-inch wood blades, I'm going to get 6 tpi, 12", but 6" and 9" appear to be more common.

[Edit: oops, I hate when I forget to refresh after watch long funny tool comparison video and don't notice someone already answered the question]

haha. I don't buy from harbor freight (anymore). Every time I took that train it derailed.

The only time it makes sense to buy a power tool from HF is that if you know the tool will only be needed a few times a year. The tools I use all the time are definitely not HF.

For me the exception is dust collectors, I have two HF dust collectors that get used a lot. I reconfigured them to increase airflow, added cartridge filters, etc., and they work great. The only repair that has been needed is to replace a switch on one of them (after several years of use). I figured I would have had to replace the motors by now, but they're still going strong.

I use this blade for pruning purposes on my corded old school Milwaukee: Porter Cable PC760R. They do tend to break occasionally, so it is best to have a few handy. Very aggressive teeth. You want your pruning blades to look mean.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-3-Pack-9-in-6-TPI-Pruning-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade/1208287

I did pick up a Diablo carbide tooth pruning blade lately and have used it once, but was not impressed, seemed to bog down often, though I have not used it enough to make definitive judgement. So don't think that spending more necessarily means a better blade.

885911096102.jpg

Last edited:
haha. I don't buy from harbor freight (anymore). Every time I took that train once it derailed.
Harbor Freight has its place, battery tools are not it. I don't doubt that they may be satisfactory, but I want longevity. I know with a major brand that they will be supported down the road. Bonus with multiple tools using the same battery. Ryobi and dewalt have maintained the same battery for 15+ years.

I love harbor freight for drill bits and tips, jig/reciprocating blades, cut-off wheels/grinding discs or other similar disposables. Cheap rope, tarps and tie-downs. And "single use" tools - things I need for this one project but probably never again.

With respect to the battery, he appears to have zero understanding of Peukert's Law. As the rate of discharge increases the rated amp capacity of a battery decreases. He rapidly cooked the battery empty by shorting it across water and causing the water to boil thereby. He did not at all attempt to discharge at a rate commensurate with typical average drilling demand. It's little wonder that under such a discharge condition the battery had way less than its "rated for some nominal realistic rate of discharge" capacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert's_law

Can't disagree there. Battery discharge curves always show several curved depending on the discharge rate. I'd guess that guy knew that. I find that guy very annoying to listen to, but he definitely does a complete teardown, and is knowledgeable for sure.

[QUOTE="LittleRiver, post: 8683763, member: 24394]

For me the exception is dust collectors, I have two HF dust collectors that get used a lot. I reconfigured them to increase airflow, added cartridge filters, etc., and they work great. The only repair that has been needed is to replace a switch on one of them (after several years of use). I figured I would have had to replace the motors by now, but they're still going strong.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I have one of those HF dust collectors, and the switch died after about 3 years.

[QUOTE="LittleRiver, post: 8683763, member: 24394]

For me the exception is dust collectors, I have two HF dust collectors that get used a lot. I reconfigured them to increase airflow, added cartridge filters, etc., and they work great. The only repair that has been needed is to replace a switch on one of them (after several years of use). I figured I would have had to replace the motors by now, but they're still going strong.[/ QUOTE]

Ditto. I have one of those HF dust collectors, and the switch died after about 3 years.

In my experience, HF either cuts the cost on build quality (looking at you battery tools), they leave off helpful features, or sub-par designs. Some of the missing features and design issues are easy to fix others are not. \

Can't disagree there. Battery discharge curves always show several curved depending on the discharge rate. I'd guess that guy knew that. I find that guy very annoying to listen to, but he definitely does a complete teardown, and is knowledgeable for sure.

To be fair, since the HF Hercules drill (no longer on their shelves) was being marketed as a high end direct competitor to the very similar looking Dewalt, he should have disassembled a Dewalt side by side with the HF and shown us the internal differences. But he did not do this. He seemed to have a serious chip on his shoulder against HF from the very onset.

To be fair, since the HF Hercules drill (no longer on their shelves) was being marketed as a high end direct competitor to the very similar looking Dewalt, he should have disassembled a Dewalt side by side with the HF and shown us the internal differences. But he did not do this. He seemed to have a serious chip on his shoulder against HF from the very onset.

Or... he tears down lots of DeWalt and Makita etc equipment in other videos. Check it if you're interested. I agree, side-by-side would have been better.

I think he does a teardown of a Porter Cable sawsall (imagine that, I got us back on topic :) )

I'm not recommending this as a gift FYI because there are much better options at a reasonable price but still wanted to chime in. I use the $20 Chicago reciprocating saw from harbor freight and love it. Now, I hardly use it for anything, but it's nice to have around. No issues yet. My buddy remodeled his whole house with it and it's still going strong.

I have to agree about the HF Chicago Recip saw. Purchased it for $19.99 and I like the easy way the blade goes in the holder. Smooth trigger and good cutting power. I know HF is suspect but for tools you only use a few times a year it can't be beat. Hail to the People's Republic...

Latest posts

Back