Dead Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holmesbrewer

Reaction score
Is it possible? Tried my latest batch Tuesday night, and used liquid yeast for the first time. Neglected to read the label after purchase to see I was suppose to refriderate. Well, it sat out for a week before I pitched it Tuesday night.
Now its Thursday and no bubbles. My last 3 batches with dry yeast blew the lid off and had bubbles galore, so I am concerned the yeast was bad.
Question: Should I wait longer?
Can I add more yeast?
Will the "bad" yeast screw up the entire batch?

1.Is it possible?
2. Can I add more yeast?
3.Will the "bad" yeast screw up the entire batch?
1. Yes but not likely. What was the date on the package?
2. You can but I would wait. A few more days. Take a look at the bottom of the fermeter(if glass) do you see any sediment? If so thats a good sign and you just need to wait a bit longer. If you would have made starter you would have avoided this "problem". But I wouldnt worry.
3. No youll be fine. Give us an update tomorrow and the next day and look to see if the amount of sediment grows if you can. Then we can talk about re pitching.

Friday morning and we have bubbles! Just after I had purchased another $8 vile of California Liguid yeast! Oh well. Thanks for making me wait, all is good!:ban:

Update:
One month later and the beer has a very noticeable soap after-taste. Really blows.
I did a brown ale last night and tried the liquid yeast again. ALmost 24 hours later and no action again! Opened the lid and had no froth or bubbles. I dont want the soap taste again.
The longer it sits un-fermented, the more junk joins the party!
My supplier doesn't think starters are necessary, I am beginning to doubt his judgement.
BTW, had no problems with recycled yeast from another batch.

Update:
One month later and the beer has a very noticeable soap after-taste. Really blows.
I did a brown ale last night and tried the liquid yeast again. ALmost 24 hours later and no action again! Opened the lid and had no froth or bubbles. I dont want the soap taste again.
The longer it sits un-fermented, the more junk joins the party!
My supplier doesn't think starters are necessary, I am beginning to doubt his judgement.
BTW, had no problems with recycled yeast from another batch.

You should always make a starter with liquid yeast there isn't enough yeast cells to properly start the fermentation quickly. Dont listen to the supplier

starters may not always be necessary...but they are a hell of a good idea and good insurance towards a good healthy fermentation.

are you sure the soapy flavor is from the yeast though?

The soapy flavor sounds like there wasn't a good rinse after the bottles were soaked and cleaned. What did you use to clean and sanitize the bottles?

According to posters from another page, the soapy taste was probably from too high of temperatures at the primary. It averaged about 75 degrees.

BTW, added dry yeast to the Brown Ale yesterday morning and we have bubbles galore!. I hope it wasnt too late.

Latest posts

Back