Dead yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozzer

Reaction score
I brewed the Brewer's Best American Pale Ale kit yesterday, which is my 3rd batch, and when I rehydrated the Bry-97 yeast prior to pitching I noticed that it didn't "fluff up" in the cup like I saw with the Nottingham in each of my first two batches (both of which started bubbling up within 12 hours of pitching). It's been about 15 hours now, with no activity. I looked up this yeast, and some people have said it's got a longer lag time, and some say it shows activity really quickly (Danstar says 'quick start'). I'm obviously going to wait a couple of days before even opening the fermenter, but was wondering if not seeing dry yeast do anything after hydration but before pitching is a sign that the yeast is/was bad? I had it in the fridge for about 10 days, but not sure when it was packaged.

Well Bry-97 is a recently developed strain by Danstar. I believe it only came out on the market within the last year or so. So it can't be too old. In my experience sometimes dry yeast will bubble during rehydration and sometimes it won't, but I've never gotten a bad pack of dry yeast yet. I've never used Bry-97 though, so I'm not sure about the lag time. I think you should be fine. Give it at least 48-72 hours before you start worrying.

Just give it some time.

Some report long lag times withh this yeast. I have used it about six times and I have not had long lag times. You are only at 15 hours so don't worry. Just give it more time and I will bet it starts up. What are you using as an indicator of fermentation? If it is airlock bubbling then you may just have a leak in the lid and it may be fermenting already? An airlock is not a fermentation gauge.

I have done well over a hundred brews and never had one not ferment. Each fermentation is different. Some will take off like a rocket. others will be slow to start. No worries.

Thanks guys. The only reason I'm concerned at all is because the yeast didn't seem to show any signs of life when rehydrating when the Notty very much did both times I used it.

I did make sure that the lid is on tight, and yes the only indicator of fermentation I have is the airlock - and I know it's not a 100% reliable gauge. I'll sit tight and watch the activity start.

So you guys are right, as I thought and expected! Like I said, it was just how the re-hydrating yeast did nothing (unlike the first two batches) that concerned me. But as of about 5:30pm last night it started bubbling in the airlock - that puts it at just over 24 hours.

Now my question is relating to my first batch (BB Amber Ale), which has been bottle conditioning going on 2 weeks now. I want to try some out this weekend, to see if it's drinkable. I'm not too concerned with perfecting the taste with this batch - it's really just a proof-of-concept and the start of my homebrew pipeline. Anyway, if I want to try out a bottle on Friday, how long should it be in the fridge before it's ready to be consumed? The beer seems pretty clear in the bottles, with no residue on the bottom, but I assume that the residue will settle out while in the fridge.

If you want to try one, go for it. It will give you a good idea of how the brew will change over time. I find that at least three weeks is the minimum amount if time before I try them now. When I was first starting I always tasted one at two weeks.

Put the brew in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours. A couple of days even better. This lets the CO2 absorb into the beer.

Enjoy

The beer seems pretty clear in the bottles, with no residue on the bottom, but I assume that the residue will settle out while in the fridge.

Put the brew in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours. A couple of days even better. This lets the CO2 absorb into the beer.

To follow up on Kozzer's question a bit... while I know that being in the fridge gets the C02 into the beer properly, does it act as a mini-cold crash of sorts too?

To follow up on Kozzer's question a bit... while I know that being in the fridge gets the C02 into the beer properly, does it act as a mini-cold crash of sorts too?

Yes. The longer they are in the fridge the more the yeast drops out and packs up in the bottom of the bottle. A longer time in the fridge will also make the beer much more clear.

Ok, now the scenario is kind of the opposite. After observing action in the airlock last Monday evening, the fermenter has exhibited action consistently since then. So when I get home from work, if there's still bubbling (which there almost definitely will be based on the consistent 'pace' of it), then it'll have been bubbling for a week. My other two batches actively bubbled for about 2 days then stopped.

I'm not really concerned, since I'm keeping the temps stable and things look OK, but this is so out of line with my experience I figured I'd post and see what people think.

There are many possible reasons for airlock "bubbling," and ongoing fermentation is just one of them.

The only way to know for sure what's happening is to take a series of gravity readings over several days.

If your beer were actually still fermenting after two weeks, that would be truly unusual.

There are many possible reasons for airlock "bubbling," and ongoing fermentation is just one of them.

The only way to know for sure what's happening is to take a series of gravity readings over several days.

If your beer were actually still fermenting after two weeks, that would be truly unusual.
Other than active fermentation and infection, what other possible cause could there be for airlock activity? Gas is being produced to the point where its pressure is forcing gas through the airlock, of which I don't know of any other source. Anyway, I'm just going to sit tight with it until it stops bubbling, then take a hydro reading. As I said, I'm not concerned, but do find it curious that this fermentation seems to be lasting 3x longer than my other two batches.

Other than active fermentation and infection, what other possible cause could there be for airlock activity?

Temperature variation, for one. If the room warms up (such as during the day or if the furnace or water heater are running), then the air inside the fermenter warms too, and expands, venting out the airlock.

The beer, having more thermal mass, will also warm, but at a much slower rate. However, as it warms, its ability to keep CO2 in solution decreases, and excess CO2 comes out of solution, again venting out the airlock.

Finally, vibration can "knock" CO2 out of solution, causing airlock bubbling. Adding things (like wood, dry hops, or fruit) that can act as nucleation points will also cause CO2 to come out of solution, and make your airlock bubble.

Ahh, good info Kombat.

The temps have been pretty stable - going from maybe 66-68 over the week. I did move it a few feet once (and then again back to its original spot), but it's been in the same spot at the same temperature for like 15 hours as of this morning and it's still got that consistent bubbling going on. It's the little fermenter that could.

All true. But I know what he's referring to. I made two batches of hybrid lagers the end of last winter/early spring. I use WL029 yeast,kept it in it's ideal range of 65-69F. It bubbles at the steadiest medium pace I've ever seen. Dead on medium pace,not too slow,not too fast,no variations. Steady medium pace for a week or so. I think it may be how it was developed to give lager like qualities in that temp range. It sure did just that!...

Not sure where you live, but if the atmospheric pressure drops, that is another source of bubbling.

Maybe. But try this yeast in it's ideal range & then come back & talk to me. I used it in two different beers & got the same response at the same time. They held pretty steady at 68-69F the whole time. Atmospheric pressure changes as weather fronts move in & out. Temps can change when that happens. But not enough to effect the ferment temps of the two beers.

We've had pretty stable weather (unusually stable, in fact) since brew day 8 days ago. I think it's more like uniondr is saying, it's just been a slow-starting super steady bubbling. It's my first non-Notty batch, and so the different yeast might be a factor as well.

Yup. WL029 doesn't go hog ass wild for a day or three & slow way down. Nope. It ferments at a dead steady medium pace for 5 days or so. Then slows down to finish up. It's just really different than many other yeasts. I do think the op is experiencing the same thing.

I'm not saying it IS the high/low pressure front, I'm just saying that is a POSSIBLE source of bubbling. A low pressure front coming in will raise the RELATIVE pressure in the fermenter, causing bubbles.

yup. it can. but that darn yeast wasn't havin any of it. never stumbled once. I think it's kinda cool that a yeast can perform like that. The beer was good for quite some time as a result.

Back