dead yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_W

Reaction score
Ok so here is the situation. Brewed an all-grain Surly Bender clone pitched yeast 38 hours ago. I finally see the airlock bubble every 40-60 seconds however there is no krosen. Should I re-pitch? I saw no airlock movement at 30 hours.

I mashed at 151.
I pitched at 68 and the ferment is in my basement which is at 67.
I used Wyeast 1335 British Ale II, no starter when I smacked the pack only one nutrient bag broke open and the package swelled some but not a ton.

I have some dry saf-05 that I could pitch but that's it and the nearest homebrew store is 1.5 hours away.

What should I do?

Ok so here is the situation. Brewed an all-grain Surly Bender clone pitched yeast 38 hours ago. I finally see the airlock bubble every 40-60 seconds however there is no krosen. Should I re-pitch? I saw no airlock movement at 30 hours.

I mashed at 151.
I pitched at 68 and the ferment is in my basement which is at 67.
I used Wyeast 1335 British Ale II, no starter when I smacked the pack only one nutrient bag broke open and the package swelled some but not a ton.

I have some dry saf-05 that I could pitch but that's it and the nearest homebrew store is 1.5 hours away.

What should I do?

With an OG of 1.060 (according to NorthernBrewer's kit) and not using a starter, I wouldn't worry too much about a longer lag time. Krausen may be small, but it will eventually ferment out.

That said, consider making starters. They will make a decent beer great! I made a 4L and a 2L yesterday- took about 25 minutes is all.

Cheers!

Yea, I have made starters in the past but for no good reason I didn't for this brew.

And my OG was 1.056.

Thanks for the reply!

Well turns out I just need to be patient. Good Krausen now and the airlock is bubbling every second or two. thanks guys!

Back