Dead Guy Ale Yeast Culturing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I think I'm losing it. I could have sworn I saw some sediment in the bottom of a Dead Guy Ale I drank Sunday night. Last night when I looked at another bottle from the same six pack, I didn't see any sediment.

I've read conflicting reports on the internet on whether you can harvest pacman yeast from this ale. Has anybody had any success with Dead Guy Ale?

get a 22 oz'er of shakespeare stout there is plenty of sediment in there. pretty easy to do.

Ryan_PA said:
You should get in contact with Funkenjaeger. He claims to have done it before with Rouge beers. I have a few bottles I am going to try it with too.
It's very easy to do from the bombers (22oz), so far every variety I've tried in that size has had a moderate amount of yeast in there. I have never bought dead guy ale in 12oz bottles (or bombers, for that matter - the one time I got it was in a growler and I didn't check that for yeast anyway) so I really don't know for sure if there's yeast in there.

Funkenjaeger said:
It's very easy to do from the bombers (22oz), so far every variety I've tried in that size has had a moderate amount of yeast in there. I have never bought dead guy ale in 12oz bottles (or bombers, for that matter - the one time I got it was in a growler and I didn't check that for yeast anyway) so I really don't know for sure if there's yeast in there.

Hmmm...would it make sense that they bottle condition the bombers and not the 12oz bottles? Anyway, my liquor store carries the Shakespeare Stout bombers so I'll just grab one of those.

Thanks.

BNVince said:
my liquor store carries the Shakespeare Stout bombers so I'll just grab one of those.

Shakespeare Stout is also a damn fine beer, on top of as pacman source...

Back