DC Group Buy #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If reddskinnfan doesn't mind grabbing a few more things for me while he's at it, I'd be interested in 5lbs each honey malt and chocolate, as well as 20lbs of C40.

If reddskinnfan doesn't mind grabbing a few more things for me while he's at it, I'd be interested in 5lbs each honey malt and chocolate, as well as 20lbs of C40.

Added. That takes another 30# off.

There 11 splits open, 200 lbs is still unclaimed, including 35# of PBW:

DC Group Buy #6 - Bulk Grain Splits

can you add i the per lb costs? might help some people (like me) decide what they want.

Well, I've been thinking about that, and the provision is already in the table (see PBW). But since the sheet is public, do we want to publish our prices? I don't have any problem with it, but others may, like stonebrewer or our supplier.

Now I could add "placeholder" prices... and everyone who has the pricelist knows the "discount" from that.

EDIT: See the table now, like that?

Yes we are... check the splits spreadsheet. Special B is all taken, the others have 20-25 pounds left up for grabs.

I never used or seen torrified wheat before. I know it's heat treated to pregelatinize it. Is it like puffed wheat?

There are still 11 splits open (255 lbs!) including 35# of PBW:

Exactly. Awesome for wheaty IPAs.

Well, I've been thinking about that, and the provision is already in the table (see PBW). But since the sheet is public, do we want to publish our prices? I don't have any problem with it, but others may, like stonebrewer or our supplier.

Now I could add "placeholder" prices... and everyone who has the pricelist knows the "discount" from that.

EDIT: See the table now, like that?

Please do not put price info in the sheet unless you make it private and email the link to those on the buy. I promised the brewery I would not disclose outside our group.

Please do not put price info in the sheet unless you make it private and email the link to those on the buy. I promised the brewery I would not disclose outside our group.

We understand that. Would this be an acceptable alternative?

Now I could add "placeholder" prices... and everyone who has the pricelist knows the "discount" from that.​

Sorry I'm a little late to the party.

I would like 20 lbs of PBW; 15 lbs of honey malt; and 15 lbs of vienna.

I really wanted more than 10lbs of Golden Promise, but I realize I didn't move quickly enough. I would be interested in up to a half-sack if we can open up another split, or if anyone is willing to sell me their share.

We understand that. Would this be an acceptable alternative?

Now I could add "placeholder" prices... and everyone who has the pricelist knows the "discount" from that.​

How are they going to know without you contacting them? If you do that it makes more sense to just give the a URL like I do with the price list. Why don't I just update the spreadsheet with PPP and leave all pricing out of the public sheet...

<EDIT> Price/lb has been added to the sheet. I will try to get a new sheet up tonight with the order totals from this buy. You will need to paypal before next Sat. or your order will be removed from this buy and will have to wait until the next one.

You should now be able to view the updated spreadsheet. I made the following changes:

- Added PBW pricing
- Added a new sheet that has all primary buyers listed, what they ordered, and their total cost (assuming splits fill, which they won't; will correct Friday)
- Added Fritz's splits sheet; updated it to show price/lb and now it shows what everyone owes. Fritz now has read/write access to the spreadsheet so he can update the splits as they change

Everyone that is a primary buyer: Please review the sheet for accuracy before Friday PM.

Stonebrewer: Ok- Here's what I need:

1 bag Briess DME Golden Light

I would also like to get in on the following open splits:

10 lbs - PBW
10 lbs - Caramel 40
5 lbs - 2 Row Chocolate

Do I pay you or someone else for the splits? (First time I've gotten in on the splits)

Thanks again for coordinating the buy!

Sorry I'm a little late to the party.

I would like 20 lbs of PBW; 15 lbs of honey malt; and 15 lbs of vienna.

I really wanted more than 10lbs of Golden Promise, but I realize I didn't move quickly enough. I would be interested in up to a half-sack if we can open up another split, or if anyone is willing to sell me their share.

I corrected those 3 splits. The Golden Promise slack was taken by claphamsa, although I pointed out your 10# allotment was purely provisional, and so was his 15 because of that. As primary buyer you should have first pick (the sack is billed to you). Maybe you can work something out with claphamsa, so you both can get more. I'm quite sure another bag of GP can fill before Friday.

Stonebrewer: Ok- Here's what I need:

1 bag Briess DME Golden Light

I would also like to get in on the following open splits:

10 lbs - PBW
10 lbs - Caramel 40
5 lbs - 2 Row Chocolate

Do I pay you or someone else for the splits? (First time I've gotten in on the splits)

Thanks again for coordinating the buy!

Added your splits.
You pay the "Primary Buyers" for each of the splits you participate in, see spreadsheet column G. The various amounts due will be calculated at the bulk buy's closeout.

I would also like to get
15lb Vienna
10lb Victory
5lb PBW

:D

So added.

CORRECTED (Tally did not include last 2 buyers previously): There are 7 splits open, 115 lbs still goes unclaimed, including 5# of PBW.

We still need to fill before Friday:
  • 20# Honey Malt (Gambrinus)
  • 15# Vienna (Weyermann)
  • 30# CaraRed (Weyermann)
  • 25# Torrified Wheat (Muntons)
  • 10# Caramel 40 (Briess)
  • 10# 2-Row Chocolate Malt (Briess)
  • 5# PBW

Picking through the leftovers...

15 lbs Vienna malt
10 lbs Torrified wheat

...for me

Added...for you :D
Closes the Vienna split.

I've upped my own Torrified Wheat share with another 5#. There's now 10# left.

There are 6 splits open, 85 lbs goes unclaimed, including 5# of PBW.

• 30# CaraRed (Weyermann)
  • 10# Torrified Wheat (Muntons)
  • 10# 2-Row Chocolate Malt (Briess)
  • 5# PBW

Alright, in addition to the splits I already signed up for, please add the following bags to my order:
2 - Rahr 2-Row (25kg)
1 - Briess DME Golden Light 50lb

Thanks!

Fritz: Please check your email on yahoo. You should be able to update the main spreadsheet now, where I pasted a copy of your splits as a separate sheet. If you maintain that, you can put pricing in there...I already got one confused email about the pricing plus offset, so I don't think that would have worked.

I will close out the PBW by taking the last 5 pounds. I will close out the chocolate malt as well by taking the last 10 pounds. I will take 10 pounds of CaraRed.

Will there be another buy for PBW in the future? Need some but not immediately. Also does anyone here regularly use honey malt, and what styles do you use it in or do you use it in place of a crystal malt?

Will there be another buy for PBW in the future? Need some but not immediately. Also does anyone here regularly use honey malt, and what styles do you use it in or do you use it in place of a crystal malt?

As quick as the PBW went, I think it is safe to say there will be another split. You can go ahead and start one if you want. I doubt it will fill this time, so I will transfer it to the next buy thread.

I rarely use honey malt but do have 2 current recipes that call for a small amount of it.

Fritz: Please check your email on yahoo. You should be able to update the main spreadsheet now, where I pasted a copy of your splits as a separate sheet. If you maintain that, you can put pricing in there...I already got one confused email about the pricing plus offset, so I don't think that would have worked....

I replied to that email last night. Although it makes sense to have it all in one, there are also some serious pitfalls and concerns to move the split sheet into the price-master the way it's set up now. Some of the calculations in the split sheet are rather complex, and rely on absolute references.

If anything I'd rather create a 2nd worksheet in the price-master for the splits. I just don't know how much it takes to migrate it.

I'll send you another email so you can add me as an editor with my Gmail account. Although Google doesn't tell you this, editing, sharing by user, and other privileges are only reserved for those with Google/Gmail accounts. :tank:

[...]I will close out the PBW by taking the last 5 pounds. I will close out the chocolate malt as well by taking the last 10 pounds. I will take 10 pounds of CaraRed.

I've added your split requests.

There are 4 splits open, 60 lbs goes unclaimed.

• 20# CaraRed (Weyermann)
  • 10# Torrified Wheat (Muntons)

Also does anyone here regularly use honey malt, and what styles do you use it in or do you use it in place of a crystal malt?

Honey malt is more like aromatic or melanoiden malt, it's not a crystal malt. The perception of sweetness is just aroma but it can be strong. I like it in pale Belgians and similar. You could probably use it in most malty American styles.

Try this thread.

Some of the calculations in the split sheet are rather complex, and rely on absolute references.

I sent you an email.

I had no issue adding your sheet to mine last night. Check out the one I uploaded. Scroll to the bottom. I will try to get rid of those extra blank pages tonight as they are a PITA.:D

Honey malt is more like aromatic or melanoiden malt, it's not a crystal malt. The perception of sweetness is just aroma but it can be strong. I like it in pale Belgians and similar. You could probably use it in most malty American styles.

Try this thread.

I use honey malt quite often actually, around 4 oz in a 5 gal batch, and definitely when there's a call for honey in the recipe. I feel I get more honey-like flavor from honey malt than from honey itself, even when adding honey to the secondary.

Could I also please get a new price list?
I can up my torrified wheat to 10# and take 5# of the C40.

I don't have the price list yet but is there acid malt on it and would there be any takers for a split?

I don't have the price list yet but is there acid malt on it and would there be any takers for a split?

Upped and added.

I will take the final 5# of Torrified Wheat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

That brings your torrified wheat total to 20# and closes it.

3 splits and 45# to go, unless more splits are added.

There is acidulated malt on the list (Weyermann). I've never used it since I mostly use lactic acid, or sometimes phosphoric. I'd probably grab a few pounds if its being offered.

There is acidulated malt on the list (Weyermann). I've never used it since I mostly use lactic acid, or sometimes phosphoric. I'd probably grab a few pounds if its being offered.

Since my move I have to use RO water so everything needs to be done from scratch. Back iin Frederick my tap water was already acidic (don't want to know the reasons why, though!!!) but now I have to add a few ounces each time I brew. Also bought lactic and phosphoric acid but having some acidulated malt sounds good to me :)

Email sent with the link...

Thanks!

I'm contemplating getting a bag of rice hulls since my last sparge took way too long... I'd be interested to part with half of a sack if anyone wants to split with me. Also, anyone up for splitting a bag of Kolsch malt??? The Acid malt is not much cheaper than buying local so I might skip that... :tank::rockin:

Thanks!

I'm contemplating getting a bag of rice hulls since my last sparge took way too long... I'd be interested to part with half of a sack if anyone wants to split with me. Also, anyone up for splitting a bag of Kolsch malt??? The Acid malt is not much cheaper than buying local so I might skip that... :tank::rockin:

You're lucky too then, not just funny. The acid malt sells here for $2.83 a lb :cross:.

I'll take 12.5# of your rice hulls. Let's hope it's not going to be windy come split day. :drunk:

And I'll split the sack of Schill's with you if that's OK.

A bag of rice hulls is a LOT of rice hulls. I've done a split, it wasn't pretty. Those things are so compressed it's a huge PITA to break it apart. Just saying, be warned, it take a lot of digging to pull out 5 and 10 lb splits.

I can't access the price sheet. I was going to make payments tonight so I'll try again in the morning. I can only assume maybe it's being updated.

Spreadsheet updated from today's activites, sans the splits. Hopefully IslandLizard can access the sheet and update it. Please review your order and prepare to paypal. All orders are final as of Friday midnight IF they are paid. If not, I delete from the sheet and you can get on the next go around. Cheers!

Back