DC Group Buy #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That works. I am just giving peeps my PayPal address. I told them they need the official numbers from you, first.

For all those participating in splits:
All the split info, including pricing, is now on stonebrewer's master price sheet, on the "Splits" tab. Access with the link he sent you.

The old online link to the splits we've been using up to yesterday, the one I've posted several times in this thread, will be disabled shortly. Access the new up-to-date data with the private link mentioned above.

Some splits are still open, and I hope we can fill them before Friday.

I'll run the "official" tallies on Friday at the latest, but let that NOT stop you from sending money to people before that. It's not that hard to add a few numbers...

You can always compare your results once the tallies are calculated.

You're lucky too then, not just funny. The acid malt sells here for $2.83 a lb :cross:.

I'll take 12.5# of your rice hulls. Let's hope it's not going to be windy come split day. :drunk:

And I'll split the sack of Schill's with you if that's OK.

A bag of rice hulls is a LOT of rice hulls. I've done a split, it wasn't pretty. Those things are so compressed it's a huge PITA to break it apart. Just saying, be warned, it take a lot of digging to pull out 5 and 10 lb splits.

Well, the malts are all $2/lb at the shop here.

Sure, I'll split the Schill's with you. If you dare splitting the rice hulls still, be my guest!

Will you update the spreadsheet so I can wire some moneys? :rockin:

Well, the malts are all $2/lb at the shop here.

Sure, I'll split the Schill's with you. If you dare splitting the rice hulls still, be my guest!

Will you update the spreadsheet so I can wire some moneys? :rockin:

That's a weird pricing structure. $2 for specialty grains sounds OK. But for base malts, ugh!

I'm glad you pointed out the Schill's Cologne Kölsch, that's a darn nice malt. Itching for some Kölsch now.

We still need another taker on rice hulls if possible. They have a large volume, once opened. I have a couple grain bags to make the split. 12.5# is more than plenty for me. I have about 4# left here.

climateboy and djpuckett, let us know how you want to handle the moneys we owe you for the splits.

Will anyone (cough, IslandLizard, cough cough) complete the awesome table like last time spelling out every IOU?

That's a weird pricing structure. $2 for specialty grains sounds OK. But for base malts, ugh!

I'm glad you pointed out the Schill's Cologne Kölsch, that's a darn nice malt. Itching for some Kölsch now.

We still need another taker on rice hulls if possible. They have a large volume, once opened. I have a couple grain bags to make the split. 12.5# is more than plenty for me. I have about 4# left here.

If anyone has a portable vacuum we could try space saver bags :D And again, if there are no other takers I'll take the rest.

Anyone for the last bits of the CaraRed? I want to make sure that closes (it is a staple of my Irish Red recipe), but can't use more than I have already asked for. It's great for any beer that needs Red color (Irish Red, Red IPA, Red Lager, etc).

Yeah what the heck, I'll take the remaining caraRed and the last 5# chocolate malt so we can close that.

A gentleman and a scholar!

A taste of that Irish Red is on me, when you come pick up your grain. :mug:

P.S. I think you meant the last 5# of the Caramel 40. The Chocolate was already closed.

climateboy and djpuckett, let us know how you want to handle the moneys we owe you for the splits.

Will anyone (cough, IslandLizard, cough cough) complete the awesome table like last time spelling out every IOU?...

I've calculated the IOUs for each split participant, just like last time. But no-one can see it yet. :( Google docs is not *that* user friendly when it comes to sharing.

Google docs needs to be manually updated by stonebrewer, the price sheet now includes the split sheet and all IOU calculations.

Hopefully that can be done tonight.
Stay tuned.

you can see at the tabs (including the "splits" tab) if you download the spreadsheet and view it locally.

Also, I think if you changed your sheet to not use split panes that are scrollable that it would all display via google dox and you could see all split participants instead of just the first six of us...worth a try...

A gentleman and a scholar!

A taste of that Irish Red is on me, when you come pick up your grain. :mug:

P.S. I think you meant the last 5# of the Caramel 40. The Chocolate was already closed.

Oh OK, I must have been looking at an older version of the doc. Sure I'll take another 5# of C40 if that's all that's left.

Yeah what the heck, I'll take the remaining caraRed and the last 5# chocolate malt so we can close that.

Oh OK, I must have been looking at an older version of the doc. Sure I'll take another 5# of C40 if that's all that's left.

You're getting an extra 5# of C40 and the leftover 20# of CaraRed. Both of these are closed now.

The only one remaining is 20# of Honey Malt.

Please Note:
After careful deliberation funnycreature and I have removed the Rice Hulls from the split.

Also, I think if you changed your sheet to not use split panes that are scrollable that it would all display via google dox and you could see all split participants instead of just the first six of us...worth a try...

<whining>Oh, I like the fro-zen paaanes...</whining>

Not seeing the sheets concatenated on one page will most definitely improve legibility too.

Maybe stonebrewer would consider sending out a new private link to the permanent Google doc (gsheet), containing the actual TABs. Not the converted xlsx.

What I see here looks very, very good. If all of you can see it the same way we got it made.

Next step is Google forms... to put in your orders.

sorry to casue problems... but climateboy is going to take the GP off my list.

also, tony will be picking up my meager splits

sorry to casue problems... but climateboy is going to take the GP off my list.

also, tony will be picking up my meager splits

Sorry to hear. It was screwed from teh beginning. His original post to offer a split was unclear; he claimed no quantities, then waited a week to answer the questions I send him through pm.

Can't you purpose a whole sack of GP? Two 10 gallon brews and its liquidized.
Maybe someone else will want part of it?

I gather your 15 pounds go to climateboy then.

Sorry to hear. It was screwed from teh beginning. His original post to offer a split was unclear; he claimed no quantities, then waited a week to answer the questions I send him through pm.

Can't you purpose a whole sack of GP? Two 10 gallon brews and its liquidized.
Maybe someone else will want part of it?

I gather your 15 pounds go to climateboy then.

I have 3/4 a sack at home. I really just wanted to make sure it got done :)

Ill order a whole bag in the next buy or so.

I just got a payment for grain, which the totals haven't been calculated for yet. Please do not send payments until you verify your total, after Fritz has updated the split SS.

Thanks....

I just got a payment for grain, which the totals haven't been calculated for yet. Please do not send payments until you verify your total, after Fritz has updated the split SS.

Thanks....

That's really good advice. Although some splits are simple and as long as one is capable of calculating their dues, there's nothing wrong with sending money early. You can compare your calcs with mine once the link to the price list/orders/splits sheet gets updated.

Stonebrewer and I are still working on getting the new gsheet out with all that info.

[EDIT] I just grabbed an additional 10# of Honey Malt. 10# left to go.

In the mean time you can still access the original splits sheet. There is 1 split open, 10 lbs of Honey Malt goes unclaimed. Any takers?

DC Group Buy #6 - Bulk Grain Splits

I'm confused about the GP (Golden Promise?) - If there's any left I'd take it! I would reluctantly up my Honey Malt share to 10# to tempt another kind soul in finishing off the last 5#...

I'm confused about the GP (Golden Promise?) - If there's any left I'd take it! I would reluctantly up my Honey Malt share to 10# to tempt another kind soul in finishing off the last 5#...

There's none left. Climateboy claimed his full 25# share. Claphamsa gave up the 15# he had reserved earlier on.

If you want any GP, yeah, Golden Promise!, you may be able to talk claphamsa into sharing a sack with you.

Since I get more honey taste from Honey Malt than from honey itself, I'll be using more Honey Malt from now on. Then add one or two pounds wildflower honey in the secondary, or at the end of primary. Wildflower honey has a lot of flavor, compared to other varieties. The flavor is distinct though, so it may not work in every beer.

There's none left. Climateboy claimed his full 25# share. Claphamsa gave up the 15# he had reserved earlier on.

If you want any GP, yeah, Golden Promise!, you may be able to talk claphamsa into sharing a sack with you.

Since I get more honey taste from Honey Malt than from honey itself, I'll be using more Honey Malt from now on. Then add one or two pounds wildflower honey in the secondary, or at the end of primary. Wildflower honey has a lot of flavor, compared to other varieties. The flavor is distinct though, so it may not work in every beer.

Nah, the GP is not that important right now. I was just curious since I heard a lot of good things about it. Maybe next time! :mug:

Sweet, All my splits are filled!

This is the first time I'm dealing with this, will we have to bring our own sacks to carry away the splits?

As I don't save mine and don't have any...

(My first group buy).

This is the first time I'm dealing with this, will we have to bring our own sacks to carry away the splits?

(My first group buy).

Here's what I used for my first split:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-30-gal-Paper-Lawn-and-Refuse-Bags-5-Count-49022/100080704

They're sturdy and hold a lot of grains. I use them also to prevent my grains to come in direct contact with the Homer buckets.

EDIT: It helps to bring your own bags so you know you will have any and you can choose the kind you want

(My first group buy).

Good that you brought this up!
We normally ask people to bring their own bags or buckets for the splits.

The buyer with the largest share in a split usually ends up with the leftover grain in the original sack. It gets re-weighted, to make sure you're not shorted.

There is a slight logistics problem and I offer a solution. If you have better ideas, let us hear it:

From the previous buy (the Tyson's Corner gig) we learned a few things. It takes quite a bit of time and (wo)manpower to weight out and fill the various splits, I'm counting 56 this time. So starting an hour and a half earlier than official showtime, to get a head start, is not a luxury. The problem is at that early time we don't have the bags yet that you guys are going to bring.

Here's my suggestion:
I or someone else who wants to help with the splits, buys bags for us all. We found the zipper bags with the sliders the best and easiest to use, like GLAD or HEFTY.
  • 1 gallon bag holds up to 5#, but it's a tight fit.
  • 2.5 gallon bag holds 5-10# <== these are the most universal, and I would get those.
  • 5 gallon bag holds 10-20#

I'm counting 56 different splits for 635 pounds of grain.
Everyone pays $1.00 per 25 pounds of splits to cover the cost of the bags.
You're getting 50#, you hand over $2 cash.
You're getting 75 pounds, it's $3.
etc.

Good that you brought this up!
We normally ask people to bring their own bags or buckets for the splits.

The buyer with the largest share in a split usually ends up with the leftover grain in the original sack. It gets re-weighted, to make sure you're not shorted.

There is a slight logistics problem and I offer a solution. If you have better ideas, let us hear it:

From the previous buy (the Tyson's Corner gig) we learned a few things. It takes quite a bit of time and (wo)manpower to weight out and fill the various splits, I'm counting 56 this time. So starting an hour and a half earlier than official showtime, to get a head start, is not a luxury. The problem is at that early time we don't have the bags yet that you guys are going to bring.

Here's my suggestion:
I or someone else who wants to help with the splits, buys bags for us all. We found the zipper bags with the sliders the best and easiest to use, like GLAD or HEFTY.
  • 1 gallon bag holds up to 5#, but it's a tight fit.
  • 2.5 gallon bag holds 5-10# <== these are the most universal, and I would get those.
  • 5 gallon bag holds 10-20#

I'm counting 56 different splits for 635 pounds of grain.
Everyone pays $1.00 per 25 pounds of splits to cover the cost of the bags.
You're getting 50#, you hand over $2 cash.
You're getting 75 pounds, it's $3.
etc.

Sounds real fair! I might have missed it but where's the meet-up location (and date/time) for this group buy?

So on the bag idea, which I support, there are probably a few things to discuss. I have 50# but it is over 6 splits. Someone else could have that in 5 splits or worse case 10 splits. So do you want to cost it out by the bag or split?

Secondly, you need to account for people who are going to bring their own buckets and bags and allow for that.

Just some thoughts...

So on the bag idea, which I support, there are probably a few things to discuss. I have 50# but it is over 6 splits. Someone else could have that in 5 splits or worse case 10 splits. So do you want to cost it out by the bag or split?

Secondly, you need to account for people who are going to bring their own buckets and bags and allow for that.

Just some thoughts...

Yeah I understand your point. But I'm sure we all want to make this a smooth transaction we can look back upon proudly.

If we wait with weighting and bagging until actual buyers arrive, there will be a waiting line. Last time we ended up starting the splits only half an hour before the official meeting time and were very, very occupied with weighting and bagging for 2 hours. People had to wait for their splits if a particular bag hadn't been split yet. We had 4 people working their tails off.

Can you come up with a solution that allows for people to bring their own bags and buckets, without most of them waiting in line for up to an hour?

I can only think of it this way. Those buyers who agree to pay a few bucks for the bags, will get out fast, as we can start ahead of time. Those who announce to bring their own, will stand in line and wait for their bags and buckets to be filled.

Yes, it is up for discussion. Let the buyers voice how they want to do it.

I was planning on bringing my own buckets (2-15 lb splits) and scale and helping out/bull****ting with people for 45 minutes or so.
You make a good proposal, perhaps its per split not per lb?
I will always plan to have my own bucket(s) and scale for splits regardless. That's how I store my grains.

Perhaps more importantly, Mike at the brew shop and the 3 Stars guys are helping us out. Come with a list of yeast/hops/other to purchase as well. This continues only as long as we're good to them!!

I was planning on bringing my own buckets (2-15 lb splits) and scale and helping out/bull****ting with people for 45 minutes or so.
You make a good proposal, perhaps its per split not per lb?
I will always plan to have my own bucket(s) and scale for splits regardless. That's how I store my grains.

Perhaps more importantly, Mike at the brew shop and the 3 Stars guys are helping us out. Come with a list of yeast/hops/other to purchase as well. This continues only as long as we're good to them!!

Agreed!!

I sent out an email to everyone on this buy tonight. Hope I didn't miss anyone, but if you added something recently I will need to add you and send you the email.

I don't know if 3 stars will want us to do splits there or not, had not thought about it until today. I will clarify as that would be a huge issue if we cannot get it done then and there.

Only 2 people have paid up so far. Please get your money in so I can finalize the list and get it to them. I think since this is the first time, I will arrange to meet with him at the brewery to go over things...

I will send out another email Friday with updates and then another once the order is in to verify the time of pickup, which right now it 10AM on the 25th. Don't be late!

Cheers all!

I talked to robfar this evening and he clued me in somewhat on the 3 Stars site. There is no parking lot, and not much parking on the street. He was not sure if there's even enough sidewalk for setting up a split area. We may just have to pack up the 12 sacks destined for the split and distribute them in a spacier area nearby. We'll call that site "Special B."

The spreadsheet is now working and accessible as we envisioned it. The split amounts are up to date as I write this. So are the amounts due for each split participant.

There is still 10 pounds of Honey Malt that needs to be claimed. Masonsjax may take 5# if no-one else steps up for the whole 10.

Back