Dark Beers Come out too Sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I have brewed 4 dark beers and i feel as though they have all come out too sweet. The most recent two are a Bells clone. We brewed a 10 gallon batch with 2 packages of s04 yeast in separate 5 gallon carboys.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/files/2713/3468/8134/January2012-OatmealPorter.pdf

Why is this?? I just dont get it. We finished at 1.020. We finished at about 1.022 last time. We have successfully brewed a blonde and a pumpkin over the last year but these two (which we brewed back to back) are really driving me crazy.

This is an all grain recipe which ferments in a temperature controlled fermentation fridge.

Should I add some amylase to try to bring it down?

What would cause this to finish so high?

What was your mash temperature?

It looks like a beer on the sweet side anyway, with only 30 IBUs, but if yours finished at such a high FG that can really increase the perception of sweetness.

Have you had the original? The recipe says the OG is 1.064, and the ABV is "~6", so the would leave you at an FG around 1.020..... May just be a recipe thing.

that looks looks a sweet recipe
lots O crystal in there meaning lots of unfermentable sugars

Have you had the original? The recipe says the OG is 1.064, and the ABV is "~6", so the would leave you at an FG around 1.020..... May just be a recipe thing.

well if this is true (no i am not doubting you LOL) this makes me feel a hell of a lot better.

I was just researching attenuation of these two yeasts and it appears that it is right around the range. So adding any amylase wont due anything really.

Yooper,

152 is where we shot to mash at. I feel like it was our most consistent mash we have had yet due to some new mash tun insulation (bobby m's direct fire mash tun insulation)

Try using bells house yeast next time. I harvest it from their pale ale. I've made several bells clones It always brings the fg down into range, and quite a few times much lower than expected

will i have an issue bottle carbing this in this case?

Do I need to add additional yeast? A new strain?

Shouldn't have any trouble carbing it - keep in mind that carbonation will add carbonic acid, which will add some more bitterness to counter the residual sweetness.

Back