Danstar Munich yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I have just brewed a Munich Helles and will use this yeast for the first time. Reading up on it I see it's a wheat yeast and may not floc out enough to clear the beer. I'm ok with this but just wanted to find out others experience with it.

I love dry yeast though this is the first German specific type I've ever used.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I have just brewed a Munich Helles and will use this yeast for the first time. Reading up on it I see it's a wheat yeast and may not floc out enough to clear the beer. I'm ok with this but just wanted to find out others experience with it.

I love dry yeast though this is the first German specific type I've ever used.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

It's called Munich yeast, but it is not a lager yeast for a helles! It's more of a hefeweizen yeast.

You do NOT want that in a helles.

It's called Munich yeast, but it is not a lager yeast for a helles! It's more of a hefeweizen yeast.

You do NOT want that in a helles.

I'm rehydrating the yeast now. What would the resulting product be then? I'm kind of committed to it as I haven't made a starter from any other strain I have currently available.

The Danstar Munich yeast will give you banana/clove flavours. Closer to 62ºF, you will get cloves, higher up at 68ºF, you will get banana.

These are the flavours you want for a German Hefeweizen beer. If you want to make a Helles and have no other option, can you cool fermentation-carboy-bucket to the mid 50's? This supposedly will downplay some of the ester production. I read somewhere that this yeast can go down to 55ºF.

Also, I have only used this yeast three times, but each time I had pretty violent fermentation, so make sure you use a blow-off tube.

I'm using a swamp cooler so I can add enough frozen 2L bottles to cool it down. I thought it would give the character of a hefeweizen (despite having no wheat malt!) and I'm good with that.

Really was not looking to be on style with the batch. Just had an itch to brew something, so I'll use this as an experimental recipe. Who knows, it may come out wonderfully!

Thanks for the info...

I have used this yeast several times, and it produces nice results in the middle of its temp range. I have found that lower temps can produce some cidery flavours that require aging out. Overall a good HEF yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bavarians brew a non-wheat beer from basically left over grains and add the Hefeweizen yeast to it. They call the beer "Dampfbier." It supposedly is a poor man's beer, but is popular within a certain circle.

This yeast flocced out very well! I used it in a Helles recipe but found out this yeast made it a Dampfbier instead. Came out with an FG of 1.012 (down from OG of 1.051) for an abv of 5.2%. Very pleased with this yeast!

Back