Danstar London ESB Dry Ale Yeast - Anyone use it yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get Lyle’s on Amazon. Light & Dark.
The dark one is not comparable to any of the darker invert sugars, so I wouldn't recommend it, if you're not after that particular flavour it provides.

I will brew tonight or tomorrow and will do a little experiment on the side. I will need about 10% of sugar for this recipe, so I will try to make some cheap homemade invert syrup while mashing. I got raw cane sugar and some raw and completely untreated one as well. I will slowly heat it up with some lemon juice and see where I'm at when the mash is done.

I pitched this into a wheat stout yesterday. Cloudy won't matter. Going to try to keep it at about 65F. Added the sugar to try to get the final gravity lower.

Every time I use a lot of wheat I get crazy good efficiency. BrewTarget says this is about 85%.

BIAB, 3.5 gallons, 1.057 O. G.
2.5 lbs. White wheat malt
1.75 lbs. Pale malt
1 pound white sugar
7 oz. Roast barley
3 oz. Chocolate malt
1.5 oz. East Kent Goldings (4%AA) 60 minutes

Mashed at 148F for 60 minutes.

I pitched this into a wheat stout yesterday. Cloudy won't matter. Going to try to keep it at about 65F. Added the sugar to try to get the final gravity lower.

Every time I use a lot of wheat I get crazy good efficiency. BrewTarget says this is about 85%.

BIAB, 3.5 gallons, 1.057 O. G.
2.5 lbs. White wheat malt
1.75 lbs. Pale malt
1 pound white sugar
7 oz. Roast barley
3 oz. Chocolate malt
1.5 oz. East Kent Goldings (4%AA) 60 minutes

Mashed at 148F for 60 minutes.

This recipe looks great. Enjoy.

This recipe looks great. Enjoy.

I like simple. I've done the ten malts five hops thing. There is a beauty in simplicity plus, it's easier.

I'll post what my results are.

I agree with some other posts. This would make a great yeast for a nice mild where you want the low abv but still ha e some sweetness and maltiness.

I like simple. I've done the ten malts five hops thing. There is a beauty in simplicity plus, it's easier.

I'll post what my results are.

I agree with some other posts. This would make a great yeast for a nice mild where you want the low abv but still ha e some sweetness and maltiness.

For something that is supposed to be such a beast I'm underwhelmed. I've got this at 63F, it's got maybe an inch of krausen. This is 48 hours after pitching. I honestly started to put a blow off tube on this instead of an airlock as it's 3.5 gallons in a five gallon bucket. Lid seals tight so it isn't leaking.

For something that is supposed to be such a beast I'm underwhelmed. I've got this at 63F, it's got maybe an inch of krausen. This is 48 hours after pitching. I honestly started to put a blow off tube on this instead of an airlock as it's 3.5 gallons in a five gallon bucket. Lid seals tight so it isn't leaking.
Did you post on the wrong thread? I don’t think many have called this a beast, most say it needs pampering just to get it to fully attenuate!

Did you post on the wrong thread? I don’t think many have called this a beast, most say it needs pampering just to get it to fully attenuate!

By beast I meant activity, not attenuation.

Post #56 says it was trying to climb out of his fermenter. Post #95 and #104 say it took off quick and was going like crazy. May be a matter of temperature? Maybe theirs was warmer?

Yeah, right thread. Interested to see what I end up with.

Gotcha. Mine was decently quick to start but not crazy with the krausen.

Third time brewing with this yeast. This time it's branded as Lallemand London.

First time I had 80% attenuation (1.014 FG) and the second 75% (1.017 FG). Both times the yeast stopped at around 1.020 SG and resumed after two weeks.

Now I'm brewing another strong bitter. Same story, yeast stopped at 1.020 but I'm ramping the temp early to see if it finishes earlier.

Overall I'm quite happy with it! I can't really find the recommended liquid yeasts for ESBs in my country, so this is the best I have aside from some local companies with their own liquid version of "London" yeast which I don't really have much information about.

Overall I'm quite happy with it! I can't really find the recommended liquid yeasts for ESBs in my country, so this is the best I have aside from some local companies with their own liquid version of "London" yeast which I don't really have much information about.

You don't say where you are (it really helps other people to put your country in your profile), but you might want to try Lallemand Verdant if you can only get the mainstream dry yeasts. And don't knock local liquid yeasts - they're likely just "borrowed" versions of the main White Lab/Wyeast ones, or harvested from a bottle-conditioned beer. To be quite honest, the yeast you get by eg harvesting Fuller's 1845/IPA will make better beer than any of the homebrew yeasts.

You don't say where you are (it really helps other people to put your country in your profile), but you might want to try Lallemand Verdant if you can only get the mainstream dry yeasts. And don't knock local liquid yeasts - they're likely just "borrowed" versions of the main White Lab/Wyeast ones, or harvested from a bottle-conditioned beer. To be quite honest, the yeast you get by eg harvesting Fuller's 1845/IPA will make better beer than any of the homebrew yeasts.

I knew I forgot something in my profile! Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not really knocking my local liquid yeasts, it's just that I couldn't find a data sheet for them on the company's website, but really, I should stop being lazy and email them for the info about the strain they have. But even with that info, my LHBS only does small batch orders for them every month or so, so mainstream dry yeast is what I have readily available, really.

Also, I would love to harvest yeast, but that is really too far ahead for me right now. I still need to buy some equipment to give it a shot.

Now I'm brewing another strong bitter.
Did you make a starter for this yeast this time round? I made one for an ordinary bitter I brewed on Saturday, using Lallemand London ESB, with SG 14,5 Plato. It's been 2 days into fermenting at 21 C with airlock activity coming gradually to an end. This thread is something of an eye-opener to me regarding this particular yeast strain and forewarned is forearmed! :) I mean I now won't be shocked to see my FG for this beer stalled at 5 Plato (1,020). Kudos to everyone for their invaluable contribution!

Last edited:
Brulosophy was kinda cool when they first started and set out to verify and/or disprove home brewing canon, such as the lager yeast fermentation temp. After covering the "big rocks", I find them uninteresting. Your mileage may vary.

Back