Danstar London ESB Dry Ale Yeast - Anyone use it yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we talking about Windsor here or is this an entirely new dried stain (got a linky?)

Are we talking about Windsor here or is this an entirely new dried stain (got a linky?)

This is a new dry yeast from Lallemand, this is the email they just sent recently:

"For that classic ESB flavor you need look no further than London ESB yeast from Lallemand - all the characteristics of a classic ESB strain in a convenient dry form"

John Keeling
Head Brewer
Fullers Brewery, London

Lallemand Brewing is excited to announce the release of our newest addition to our premium brewing yeast line-up.

Say hello to London ESB dry yeast, a true English ale strain selected for reliable fermentation performance and moderate ester production that lets the delicacies of the malt and hop aromas shine through. London ESB is a brilliant choice not only for brewing Extra Special Bitter but for other authentic heritage UK styles like Pale Ale, Bitter and Mild.

Like all our other brewing yeasts, Lallemand offers the unmatched purity, performance and ease-of-use that only dry yeast can deliver.

Lallemand London ESB is now available in 500 gram packages for commericial brewers. Contact your Lallemand brewing yeast distributor to buy London ESB. To locate a distributor in your area, visit our web site at http://www.lallemandyeast.com/commercial/all . For complete information on London ESB, visit our web site at www.lallemandyeast.com.

Thanks for the links chaps. I dont think it's been released here in the UK yet as I can't find it anywhere, so far. I'd deffo be keen to try it out

I guess it is not distributed in the US as of yet. I am curious how it would compare to Safale S-04 as it does leave a residual sweetness. I have used wyeast London ESB and like it. I wonder how the dry would compare to the liquid strain as well.

If this yeast performs and has the same results as the WLP002/WY ESB yeast, then it will be awesome as there will be no need for a starter!:rockin:

I have high hopes for it myself. I am genuinely surprised that us Canucks are getting this before our American neighbours.

I will let you know how it turns out!

For sure! And a taste comparison would be even more epic :mug:

Really exited to see how this turns out. :ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Update
This yeast is now listed in the Danstar US website, so we should likely be seeing it in the shelves soon!

http://www.danstaryeast.com/company/products/london-esb

The attenuation percentage and fermentation temp range are about the same as the White Labs and Wyeast versions.

I'm brewing something this weekend, and if I happen to find this yeast at my local LHBS I will get it and try it!

Going to my LHBS tomorrow to get some yeast, and if I happen to see this I will get it and try it on a porter that I've planned to use WPL002/Wyeast 1968 on.

:rockin::rockin:

I just ordered a package, but not sure what / when I'll brew with it. Posting to subscribe and see what everyone else's experience is.

I brewed with this on Saturday and this morning it appeared the bubbling had stopped, so I would agree its fast for sure. Raises the temp like a monster too, I wasn't paying attention and it got up to 74-75 degrees at one point before I got in in a cold swamp cooler.

I just got to sample two brews one with 04 and one with the dry London ESB.

My LHBS gave me a festa brew brown ale with each yeast to let me sample. The London ESB yeast blew the other out of the water. A slight fruitiness with, residual sweetness, and the malt characteristics were present and distinguishable.

I love this yeast because although it's tame on the flavor side it's still very distinguished. Always been a fan of Wyeast 1968 in anything from DIPA to Barleywine so this dry feature is great.

I just got to sample two brews one with 04 and one with the dry London ESB.

My LHBS gave me a festa brew brown ale with each yeast to let me sample. The London ESB yeast blew the other out of the water. A slight fruitiness with, residual sweetness, and the malt characteristics were present and distinguishable.

I love this yeast because although it's tame on the flavor side it's still very distinguished. Always been a fan of Wyeast 1968 in anything from DIPA to Barleywine so this dry feature is great.

Thanks for sharing that, good to hear the positive feedback.
Hopefully there is more to come.

I bought a 500g pack but I haven't used it yet. A rep from Lallemand told me:

Note that it does not utilise maltotriose so FG will be higher
than most yeasts.

I'd mash in low and/or collect OG a bit higher. Does not drop like a stone like WLP002.

The fact that it doesn't floc like WLP002 / Wy1968 certainly makes me raise an eyebrow, but I'll wait and see. I'd really, really like this to be as good as WLP002 because I use that yeast a lot for 100 - 200 litre batches, and liquid yeast management is a pain (and expensive)

Just kegged an ESB made with it. Only took it from 1.053 to 1.018, 66% attenuation. Sample was tasty, didn't seem overly sweet, and it's packaged now so I'll roll with it. I mashed around 153 F and only about 8% crystal so I don't think either of those are the culprit. It fermented in a room at about 65 F and visible fermentation was done in 3 days but I left it 2 weeks. I didn't raise the temp, but perhaps should have or perhaps it is just a low attenuators.

Will give tasting notes once carbed.

So far nobody has mentioned how the stone fruit character compares to the Yorkshire strain. If I could get the same doughy fruity esters from a dry pitch I'd order a few bricks.

Also for those that have a batch down with this stuff....how much krausen did you get? I know Yorkshire always blows through my airlock it krausens up so much.

I just ordered 5 fresh packs (expiration till 06/2018) from a Texan brew shop on Ebay! :ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

They shipped today so I should get them in a few days!

ESB, Oatmeal Stout, and Porter here I come!

I'm going to brew a porter with this yeast this weekend. I will post some updates.

So far nobody has mentioned how the stone fruit character compares to the Yorkshire strain. If I could get the same doughy fruity esters from a dry pitch I'd order a few bricks.

Also for those that have a batch down with this stuff....how much krausen did you get? I know Yorkshire always blows through my airlock it krausens up so much.
I am skeptical. Love West Yorkshire Ale and ESB 1469. Maybe I haven't developed my skills enough yet. But they are two different yeasts that make different beers.

Maybe I misunderstood. I initially wasn't under the impression this was supposed to be a dry form of 1968. I thought they were just using London ESB as more of a marketing term so I threw out another good ESB yeast I hoped it was comparable to. Looking at it closer my post doesn't make much sense :mug:

2 weeks in and now properly carbed. The ESB I made with this finished quite high at 1.018, and suffers a bit due to that sweetness. It does have some nice berry fruit esters. I mashed a bit higher, around 154, so I would try it again with a lower mash and see what that does.

I got these in today!
I may plan for 70% attention and go from there - probably a stout or ESB in a few weeks. :tank:

20161009_211221.jpg

Maybe I misunderstood. I initially wasn't under the impression this was supposed to be a dry form of 1968. I thought they were just using London ESB as more of a marketing term so I threw out another good ESB yeast I hoped it was comparable to. Looking at it closer my post doesn't make much sense :mug:

The advertisements for this yeast (in the UK at least) contained an endorsement from John Keeling (of Fullers) so it seems clear that they're positioning this as a Wy1968 / WLP002 replacement, even though they're not saying it directly.

Back